mud tire questions - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 PM
02bumblebee
Noob

2002 Xterra
02bumblebee is on a distinguished road
mud tire questions

I'm lifting my xterra soon and I'm looking to get a set of mud tires for my stock rims this day and age we all know money can be a little tight for some ppl and I'm really not looking to spend a minimum of $1000 for tires and mounting... I came across a website called treadwright.com where they have retread tires... what do u guys think about retread tires or has any1 ever gotten tires from here? your inputs on em? also it has a part for the Rim width I measured my rims but I wanna make sure I have the right size it was a little hard to measure cuz they were still on my truck when I measured so does any1 know the rim width of a 2002 xterra stock rim? looking forward to hearing back thanks guys!!!
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
drivesarollback

2004 Xterra
drivesarollback is on a distinguished road
I see bad things happen with retreads on the highway sometimes... if you don't have a second vehicle to take over the road I would say keep away from them. Rim size- can't help you.
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
stock rim width is 7 inches. as for the tires I have heard good things about treadwrights. There is someone on here that runs them, I wanna say its snickerdoodle.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#4 Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
blackx09
Addict

2004 Xterra
blackx09 is on a distinguished road
I've had my treadwrights on for a couple weeks now and I love them. We've only been on one run with them but the performed flawlessly didn't get stuck anywhere and to top it off I have the at version. I've done plenty of research on them and while yes you do run a risk running them the same thing could happen with a brand new tire. Really it's all a matter of personal preference. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1352772063.532017.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	9155
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1352772090.648260.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	9156
SnickerDoodle has them and she drives them daily just like I do but she's had hers longer than me so she can tell you more about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
There has been many discussions about the Treadwright's. The people that have them love them! Do some searching on the forum about them and you will see for yourself.

Last edited by Xterra Mike; 11-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.
2001 SE Xterra
#6 Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
If you want them to last don't by retreads look at BFF km2's or Toyo m/t's those will be much better and a lot more price of mind.. Www.treaddepot.com
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
If your dead set on mud-terrains id go km2s. Mo mud-terrian is gonna like the road but these seem to do the best in my opinion.

Have you considered a set of cooper st maxxs, dura-tracts, or something along the lines of trail grapplers?? They'll have better road manners while still being more than off-road capable

I got a set of cooper st maxxs in 265/75/16s for around $800

check tirecrawler.com

work in progress

265/75/16 Cooper Discover ST maxxs
pro comp 7032
Calmini UCA's
prg deaver 2nd gen aal
4x4parts revolver shackles
grassroots 4x4 centerlink
3 inch bilsteins
bilstein steering stabilizer
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync will become famous soon enough robcarync will become famous soon enough
Garage
From what I read...treadwrights are popular...few people have had problems with them...I almost got them since they were so cheap but I ended up going another route...but I might go for them in the future...just to give them a shot.

Some people are adamantly against them...some swear by them. If you are strapped for cash, it may be your best bet if you want a mud terrain.

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 PM
yellowbug
Phreak

01 Xterra
yellowbug will become famous soon enough yellowbug will become famous soon enough
What size are you looking for? I have Cooper STT they are awesome. I love the traction I get from them and as of now I will be buying a set of 37s when I get the x SAS'd unless I could afford pitbull tires.
01 Xterra
#10 Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 AM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

You can read through the threads on them...essentially, they are old worn out tire carcasses that have a new rubber cap glued onto them in the shape of a new tread...typically imitating the tread pattern shapes of past generation popular mud tires once the OEM manufacturer goes to an improved pattern, etc. (Helps avoid patent issues...)

They use AT tires as the carcasses, even though they sell them as MT's...so they LOOK like MT's, but the sidewalls, etc, are from AT's. If its using the BFG AT ko carcass, at least the sidewalls are not too bad, but the 2-ply AT ones they also use are much more vulnerable to rock damage, unlike what the nice looking 1st gen MT/R imitation tread patterns might imply.

If you use it in mud and not sharper terrain, an AT carcass if not dry rotted, etc, is typically OK though. The DOT states a tire older than 6 years from its sidewall manufacturer date should be taken out of service though...due to rotting of the sidewalls due to ozone, UV light, etc. The original sidewall date for the retread's donor carcass is still your limiting factor. Personally, for the BFG AT ko at least...I think 6 years is too conservative, and I think they are more resistant to rot than many others, but perhaps at ~ 8-10 years you're still really pushing it. (Worth looking at the donor carcasses DOT Date to avoid too old a carcass)

While a new tire can fail too, it is not common for a new tire to have its tread fall off. It is not common for a treadwright tread to come off either, but, they do delaminate from time to time, and more often than for a new tire by a good margin. (On a new tire, the tread is part of the tire...so it doesn't "fall off" really...)

Happiness depends on how lucky you are.

We see time and time again that its a lot like smoking: MOST people who smoke don't get cancer...but, statistically, more people who smoke do get cancer.

So, if you are one of the lucky ones who doesn't get cancer, you get to say " Smoking is fine, I've been smoking for XXX years and it never hurt ME"

If you are one of the unlucky ones...you get to say "I smoked for XXX years and then got lung cancer".

Same for retreads...the people who DIDN'T have a problem say " I've been using retreads for XXX miles/years and never had a problem"...

..and the people who DID have a problem are really angry and feel duped.

People who get retreads coincidentally are statistically more likely to also smoke...as it's inline with their worldview (More likely doesn't mean 100% etc...)

So, the question is always "Do you feel lucky?"

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Last edited by TJTJ; 11-13-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.