Roof rack build with a twist~ Thank you Graveyard Graphics - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM
lddfarms

2001 Xterra
lddfarms is on a distinguished road
Talking Roof rack build with a twist~ Thank you Graveyard Graphics

Let me say that I'm new to X's and being able to modify for fun. I'm a farm gal that use to drive nothing smaller than an F-350. A few months ago I downsized to an Xterra and haven't looked back.

Meet my little rig: Matchbox. I'm starting off with something easy and work my way up. All of the plastics were faded and the bars well oxidzed, stickers peeling the whole works. I spent quite a bit of time researching what everyone else has done, products used and results. Many thanks to all of you who have posted in the DYI and GraveyardGraphics.com.

My first step was to contact Todd at Graveyard Graphics for my stickers. I wasn't happy with the grey on grey thing that Nissan had done and I wanted something a bit brighter and eye catching. I know the poor man thought I was crazy with my request, but hey, I'm a red head, I like to try things outside of the box so to speak. Todd made some great suggestions and stickers were on the way ASAP!

Last weekend I removed the rack and got it cleaned up. The bars were hand sanded to the metal and wiped with acetone. They were so oxidzed I knew if I didn't sand to the metal I'd have to be re-doing this project later. The plastics were just a rub down with the acetone. I then primed with the Dupli-Color Adhesion promoter for the plastics and self-etching primer for the bars. I wanted to go with a flat gray on the bars, however, my NAPA store didn't carry a bumper paint in grey any and I didn't want to wait for the next shipment. I went to wal-nut world and found a metal hammered finish grey that I liked much better.

After everything was prepped, the painting process took only a few hours. You can speed that process up if you wait the minimum time frame. I took time between coatings to do other things. The temps had cooled down to mid 70's around here so I gave it a few days to dry in the shop. It sure felt naked driving around without it.

Paint:
Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter CP199
Dupli-Color Bumper Coating FB105 Flex Black Bumper
Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer DAP 1690
Rust-Oleum Hammered 7213 Silver for the bars.

A note that I'd like to add about painting is to slow down when applying. If you haven't painted much, get an old can of paint and go practice on something. My husband had to remind me you want it wet but not running. If you go too fast you will create overspray or can make it look like a 'can' job.

This weekend I put it back together and applied the AWESOME stickers. Another note here is to remember to write down which screws go where. You can also cheat and take pics as you dis-assemble things. I'll admitt here that I didn't take enough pictures and had to find on the internet what bolts went where (head hung in shame), lol

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you that the stickers are with an yellow "X" and reflective. Way too kool at night. Many thanks to Todd for his work. The stickers really added to the look I was wanting.

You can also see more pictures of the process in my build album.

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1410

Paint used:

Sticker before:

Paint before:

Rails before:

Plastics before:

Under mounting brackets.

Rails sanded.

Putting sticker on.

Sticker after ;0)

And the grand finale!

Sticker at night.

~Victoria

'01 Canteen Xterra
manual tranny
Rig name: MatchboX
The OTHER ride is a tractor

Mods:

(X) New a/c system
( ) PML - hubby says "Not"
( ) CB
(X) Roof Rack build #1 - paint
( ) Roof rack build #2 - air dam/lights
( ) Audio
(X) Refurb plastics
(X) Aries Brush Guard
(X) Trailer hitch
( ) Wheels
( ) Run the wheels off of it.

Last edited by lddfarms; 11-11-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: To correct pictures. It would help to read instructions first, lol
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
BengbX
2001 Silver Xterra SE

2001 Xterra
BengbX is on a distinguished road
Awesome work on the rails.
How did the word "terra" invert the colors?

Either way looks great

2001 Silver Xterra SE 4X4 (X in progress)
Mods: Lobo Rack, IAB, 3" Bilstein Shocks F&R, 2"BL, 3" SL. Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, AC HD Tie Rods, Bandit Bushing, B&M Light Bar, 4KC Lights, Painted plastic trim,. Rear Mounted Lights. Fully Shrocked front to back + under, 8" KC Rally Lights, 4ft Firestik Antenna, Cobra 75 WXST CB, Xtreme Hi-Lift Jack, Volant CAI. BFG 32 MT on Cragar Soft 8. Quadratec 11000 synthetic winch.
2001 Xterra
#3 Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM
lddfarms

2001 Xterra
It's all reflective sticker. By day it's black, by night the black turns reflective and the background (rail) is naturally dark. The yellow "x" stays yellow.

~Victoria

'01 Canteen Xterra
manual tranny

Mods:

(X) New a/c system
( ) CB
( ) Audio
(X) Refurb plastics
(X) Aries Brush Guard
(X) Trailer hitch
( ) Wheels
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
That is sweet

Definitely creative and unique. Way to go!
2005 Xterra
#5 Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM
lddfarms

2001 Xterra
Thank you! Wait till I get the new air dam done. We're going way out of the box for that, lol

~Victoria

'01 Canteen Xterra
manual tranny

Mods:

(X) New a/c system
( ) CB
( ) Audio
(X) Refurb plastics
(X) Aries Brush Guard
(X) Trailer hitch
( ) Wheels
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
AWESOME!!!!! that looks incredible!

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
pirate-X

2001 xe Xterra
pirate-X is on a distinguished road
inspiring! I like the reflective! looking forward to your "out o' the box" thinking!

Been into anything with a motor since childhood.
2001 xe Xterra
#9 Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM
lddfarms

2001 Xterra
Well I've got the idea that the air dam needs to be made out of heavier material. I"m also looking at modifying it to make it narrower, but I'm having to experiment with mods on the old one for vibration and noise. If you loose the weather strip it vibrates like crazy, but if you shorten it up to 3/4? Once that's figured out Katie bar the door we're gonna make it happen.

~Victoria

'01 Canteen Xterra
manual tranny

Mods:

(X) New a/c system
( ) CB
( ) Audio
(X) Refurb plastics
(X) Aries Brush Guard
(X) Trailer hitch
( ) Wheels
2001 Xterra
#10 Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Creepy Cruiser
I'm kinda wacko

06 Zterra Xterra
Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold Creepy Cruiser is a splendid one to behold
That came out way cool!

Thanks for posting pics.
06 Zterra Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.