View Poll Results: Which car?
New 3 16.67%
Used 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

#1 Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 AM
XUGG

XUGG is on a distinguished road
Question Great deals, tough choice.

Sold my old Nissan Murano and looking for a new/used 4x4 Xterra. Narrowed down my choices to new vs old. Both great deals (I think), one is manual and new, other is auto and lightly used.

New Xterra: Dealerships offering ~6k of MSRP for 2012 S 4x4 6sp MANUAL (29,700 down to 23,760) with 1.9% financing = $25k

Used Xterra: 2007 S with 42,000mi asking $14k, AUTO 4x4

Considering the new 2014 will be redesigned, possibly available in 2013, I'm leaning towards going used and trade for the new body style in ~2-4 years. I'd have fun with a manual but resale wise, I would take a bigger hit selling a used 6sp 2012, or a used Auto 2007.... Thanks for the input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Reasons

Auto is easier to operate offroad and much nicer in traffic. 42K is pretty much the beginning of its young life and break in period just ended so if it is well maintained 14K is a much better price. Save the 9K for mods!

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't count on there being a redesign anywhere near that soon. The Titan might get redesigned for 2014, but the Frontier/Xterra won't follow for at least a year after that.

As much as I love a manual tranny and always emphasize how nice it is to have full control over your vehicle with one... I've gotta say pricepoint the 07 sounds like a pretty nice deal. Especially if it happens to be an OR model. If it's not OR then I'd be a little more indecisive, but if it is and it has been well cared for I'd say the used one is the way to go. If you're looking for a 4x4 then I'd imagine you'd have much less concern taking a $14k vehicle through the rough stuff than you would a $25k vehicle.

So I agree with ShiftingSkys, I'd say go used and build it up the way you want, then have lots of fun with it!
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync will become famous soon enough
Garage
I generally always avoid buying a new car...depreciable asset...with the biggest drop in value in the first 3 years or so...buying a well maintained 3-4 year old car is always the better deal financially. Generally you wouldn't buy a car with the intent to sell it later as you will almost always end up on the losing end of the deal.

Also, depends on your plans for the vehicle...modify it? offroad it? You don't want to take a 25k loan and run it through some trails...well...i dont lol.

I am a bit biased towards used cars though...if you are pretty handy and able to do a lot of maintenance on your own, you really don't need any of that extended warranty garbage from the dealer...they let you pay for it while they know the warranty is just long enough to entice money out of you, but not quite long enough to let something catastrophic happen.

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
I'm breaking from the pack, I suppose... I enjoy the comforts of my AT (not the cost to repair the SMOD, though!) the price diff is also 5 model years.

I think it's a pretty good price for new - the the used one was only by a little old lady who drove it to church on Sundays and it has good maintenance history, then maybe it is a decent deal, but with 2013 on us, the vehicle is now 6 years old and the value is significantly less... just my $.02

I've had plenty of new cars and plenty of used cars in my life - the used ones always needed something. Always.

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#6 Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Prawn

2012 Xterra
Prawn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarditi View Post
I'm breaking from the pack, I suppose... I enjoy the comforts of my AT (not the cost to repair the SMOD, though!) the price diff is also 5 model years.

I think it's a pretty good price for new - the the used one was only by a little old lady who drove it to church on Sundays and it has good maintenance history, then maybe it is a decent deal, but with 2013 on us, the vehicle is now 6 years old and the value is significantly less... just my $.02

I've had plenty of new cars and plenty of used cars in my life - the used ones always needed something. Always.
This. Pretty much my thoughts on the topic, all of it. And yes, I bought an AT as well. I've rowed my own gears all my life, the AT is nice and comfortable.
2012 Xterra
#7 Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM
XUGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcarync View Post
Also, depends on your plans for the vehicle...modify it? offroad it? You don't want to take a 25k loan and run it through some trails...well...i dont lol.
It would be my daily driver but I'd love to mod it some. Definitely plan to use the 4x4 a good amount.

UPDATE: found mix of new and used, 2009 Offroad Automatic with 54k, clean carfax. Only problem is dealer wont budge from $17,200. It needs is new tires, which might run me ~900-1000 for something decent?

Thanks for the low down, ENDMUNDS/KBB is $17,500 btw

Last edited by XUGG; 11-13-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: ENDMUNDS/KBB $17,500
#8 Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
XUGG

Pics

Last edited by XUGG; 11-13-2012 at 06:42 PM.
#9 Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Prawn

2012 Xterra
Prawn is on a distinguished road
Did you buy it?
2012 Xterra
#10 Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XUGG View Post
It would be my daily driver but I'd love to mod it some. Definitely plan to use the 4x4 a good amount.

UPDATE: found mix of new and used, 2009 Offroad Automatic with 54k, clean carfax. Only problem is dealer wont budge from $17,200. It needs is new tires, which might run me ~900-1000 for something decent?

Thanks for the low down, ENDMUNDS/KBB is $17,500 btw
Tell them to throw new tires on that thing or drop the price.
2001 SE Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.