Clicking noise when I turn the wheel - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-11-2012, 12:02 AM
hausaufgaben
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
hausaufgaben is on a distinguished road
Clicking noise when I turn the wheel

Hey community. I noticed a while back that when I turn the wheel hard, both when backing up and going forward, it will make a clicking sound. I took it in to see what it is, and they said that's normal for some vehicles. That the vehicle will do that to show that it's as far as it will turn or is a safety feature. They said it's just some piece of metal or plastic or something that rubs against the wheel and it's nothing bad.

Anyone have this on their Xterra? I'm kinda not liking that noise very much, and are you able to get rid of it? I'd rather not have that noise when turning my wheel.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 AM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hausaufgaben View Post
Hey community. I noticed a while back that when I turn the wheel hard, both when backing up and going forward, it will make a clicking sound. I took it in to see what it is, and they said that's normal for some vehicles. That the vehicle will do that to show that it's as far as it will turn or is a safety feature. They said it's just some piece of metal or plastic or something that rubs against the wheel and it's nothing bad.

Anyone have this on their Xterra? I'm kinda not liking that noise very much, and are you able to get rid of it? I'd rather not have that noise when turning my wheel.
No such thing on an Xterra but it may not be a big deal. It may just be the steering stops needing a bit of grease. There are 4 stops located on the front and back of each front wheel. Just need to put a little grease on the lower control arm where the steering stop hits when turned at full lock.

Put grease where indicated by the red arrows and remember there are stops on both sides of both front wheels.

I'll bet it's the stops but it could also be a failed locking hub.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM
hausaufgaben
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
hausaufgaben is on a distinguished road
lol no such thing? Dang lol And yea that's what he said it was! I was told this a while ago so I couldn't remember his exact words. Thanks, I'll try to find them and put it on and see if it works! Thank you!
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.