leaking oil - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
leaking oil

ok so i notice if i move my truck from driveway to street or vise versa i notice it leaks a little drop of oil on pavement and its concerning me. I was told while getting a p/s fluid leak i couldnt find fixed (bad hose clamp) i have a rear main seal leak never noticed it before and it only leaks from a parked cold engine no leak when i come home after its warmed up even as it cools. but on my last oil change i went from 10w 30 high mileage to 5w 30 synthetic and thats when i noticed the leak start so just changed back to hm 10w 30 and put some rms leak fix in. I just wanna know if anyone can chime in on any fixes to this or if my 10w 30 conventional hm oil will at least help or if i need to get er looked at, i will check back and let yall know if i have fixed it but please help.

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 PM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
dawgn86 is on a distinguished road
I have a oil leak at the rear main seal area..only see one drop; never hits the driveway and oil level always remains the same..good point about the viscosity.

I notice a drop of oil at the front of my engine, right at the bottom of where the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is on the crank..right where the front part of the oil pan fits up there...I checked my oil pan bolts and one of them I think I could have taken it off by hand...I snugged them all down..has anyone had a leak from there?

02 X auto V6 non S/C 98k miles

Thanks
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
@ your next oil change, get an oil pan gasket and change it out with the oil that should help that, i read an interesting article that said a sign of bad pcv valve could be leakage of oil from seals and a loss of power and or rough idle and i went to pull mine to check it. it was rattling like it should but had crusted up oil all on it and in it (it was factory! 13 years!) so i replaced it ($3.99 at autozone) man what a difference! more power smoother idle and slowed the leak i think its almost stopped! heres a link to the article: http://www.ehow.com/list_7541495_sig...pcv-valve.html to follow up it has slowed the leak, no longer a drop after every trip that is more than a few miles just a drop occasionally, so it did mess up my rear main seal

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()

Last edited by kms1990; 12-15-2012 at 10:37 PM.
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 AM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
Thanks KMS..

I replaced this one, but its been about 4 years ago...for a few bucks, I will change it out and watch for improvement
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
I have a 02 Xterra / V6 / non supercharged with about 98k miles.

I have always had a small rear main seal leak..never enough to drop to the ground after driving. Last oil change, i switched to a 5w-30 full synthetic oil and changed the PCV valve. I notice now it leaks more and will drip a drop on the ground. I see nothing leaking around the valve covers and assume its a rear main seal leak.

I understand the seal is about $14 and the job is about $1000 because of sliding back the transmission. Is this something I can leave alone for awhile or does it need to be changed out asap?

Thanks
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
switch to a 10w high mileage oil it will help but will eventually get worse anyway synthetic will show any leak and possibly make it worse as it flows better. i got my rear main seal fixed and my oil pan gasket fixed no more leaks im back to semi synthetic 5w30 castrol over a week no leaks and a little bump in mpg.

the oil pan gasket is 2 pieces of rubber one at front and one at rear the rest is sealed with grey oil proof rtv silicone so not too bad to replace. i had a mechanic friend do my rear main for $175 so truck is in great shape now and at the moment needs nothing else done! new dizzy oil leaks fixed new thermostat fresh tires and good suspension new tranny fluid and filter minor tune up done with ngk iridiums and new wires and new fuel filter and accessory belts

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.