2007 xterra 52000 miles - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
tommyxterrra
Noob

tommyxterrra is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 2007 xterra 52000 miles

Ok so I really like this Xterra and the price is right. But it makes a weird sound at the front of the engine. All the forums say its a timing chain problem which doesnt really scare all that much. I'm capable of chaniging it. Bit I will make the dealer do it or I just wont buy it.

Also make a driveline vibration (i think) around 75 MPH.
So can I get another 120000 miles out of this truck?

Also what should I really look for before I buy?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
ALPINE X
Addict

2000 Xterra
ALPINE X is on a distinguished road
SMOD (Strawberry milkshake of death) Automatics, look it up and read more about it, probably the most known problem that i know of.

ALPINE X

MDXC (Maryland Xterra Club)
NeXterra (North East Xterra Club)
Xterra Nation (Self Explanatory)

Mods: 4 PIAA up top on self made lightbar, Yakima Loadwarrior, Yakima Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, Deleted steprails/mudflaps, Alpine CDE-122 Head unit, Polk MM6501UM Speakers, Alpine MRP-F300 Amp, JL-12W6v2 Sub, Painted Plastics, J.I.C. and Recovery Gear.
Build Thread
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
Weird sound in the front huh? Unfortunately weird sound could mean a lot of things, but seeing as you haven't yet bought the vehicle, I'd definitely make getting that fixed a condition prior to buying. I kind of doubt a noise that sounds like the timing chain would be a SMOD, but it's best to make sure the dealership covers any kind of cost associated with keeping it drivable without passing it off to you. Be sure they don't try tacking up the price of the vehicle just because they fixed something, they're supposed to sell a good product at the price they already agreed to.

Good luck getting the vehicle you want
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
tommyxterrra
Noob

Ok so I've driven this thing all day. I like it. But it makes that weird sound. Also vibrates a little at 72 mph and idles pretty rough when stopped at a stop sign.
#5 Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Idling rough at a stop is usually a sign that a tuneup is needed. Vibration at high speed could be the alignment. The noise is still weird, what kind of noise is it? Like rapid squeaks, or a low drone, or a high pitched squeal, or something mechanical sounding?
2005 Xterra
#6 Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
tommyxterrra
Noob

it sounds a-lot like the buick did when one of the idler pulleys went bad. I put it up on ramps today the driveline looks pristine. It being 4x4 i thought I would find mud hidden somewhere but no such luck.
#7 Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
ryandavenport
Professional

2007 Xterra
ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough
That is the timing chain guides you are hearing. They will need to be changed. It's a very involved job (read over $1000). Driveline vibration is most likely a U-joint at that age. There are two on the front driveshaft and one on the rear driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

2007 Xterra S 4x4

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension
285-75 R16 BFG AT-KO, Pro-4X Wheels, 2" OME Lift

Armor
NXRocks Skids, TAG Rear Bumper, White-Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders

Exterior
Xoskel Bumper Mount Bracket, Blacked out Emblems, Weathertech Vent Visors, FOURTREKS Hi-Lift Mount, Wilson1000 CB Antenna

Interior
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Midland CB, Compass Mirror, Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats, Nissan Carpeted Cargo Mat
2007 Xterra
#8 Old 11-11-2012, 06:14 PM
tommyxterrra
Noob

OK so I pulled the trigger because they wanted to get rid of it. Basically I got it below wholesale. Then I was sitting with the finance guy and he said I can buy a warranty to 100k for 2k so I fifgured well it will cost me a $500 in parts just to fix it. I might as well. Plus work pays for the car anyways.

Driving it I must say I really like it. Somebody smoked in it so I will be cleaning it thouroughly.

Did I say I really like this car.
#9 Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
I got my X the same way too, dealership needed it gone and was willing to make a deal. Took me a while to get the maintenance caught up on it, so figure in that it will take at least $1k over the next 4-5 months before everything is really the way it should be. But after that things should get nice.

Good luck and have plenty of fun with the newest addition to your family
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.