gas saver - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 AM
pullsout

2012 Xterra
pullsout is on a distinguished road
gas saver

SO I've noticed this big beautiful beast I have sitting out in my parking lot isn't the most aerodynamic nor is it the most gas friendly. I was curious if anybody had any suggestions on helping out with the old mpg. I'd like to stay away from the after market intakes or ehaust systems seeing as how I only have 900 miles on it. I know little things help though. I've only ever dealt with gas sipping rice burners before this other than my jeep.
2012 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Brian01Xterra

2001 4x4 Xterra
Brian01Xterra is on a distinguished road
I keep mine below 2500 rpm's and it helps alot and I am all stock. Just remember to leave early because my 01 runs 2400 rpm's at 65 mph

2001 SE 4x4
2001 4x4 Xterra
#3 Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM
rescue119
Seasoned

2012 Xterra
rescue119 is on a distinguished road
first you only have 900 miles on it

you need to let the engine break in, around 6000 miles or so you will start to get better mileage, it took mine about 10000km to start getting good mileage.

once you reach that mileage then you can look at putting in a drop in K&N filter and doing the airbox mod, besides that drive reasonable and you should get good mileage, but remember this is an X not a civic so dont expect high numbers, 18-20 on average

i get 14.6l / 100 km in the city which is what the sticker claimed
2012 Xterra
#4 Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 AM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
Yeah its pretty documented on theNewX that its takes the 4.0 a few thousand miles to break in before the MPGs increases.

Best thing you could do though is add a K&N filter. Will help it breath a little better.

I have done well by adding a ultragauge too.. I watch the instant MPGs and use the gas pedal appropriately. Its a game to me no To see how much more fuel I can save vs last week
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM
DrtJnky

11' Xterra
DrtJnky is on a distinguished road
You surely need to let it break in before even trying to gauge economy. after that.

Synthetic oil
Tire pressure
driving habits, driving habits, driving habits.

Remember driving around town to be easy on the gas pedal and watch your highway speed. My 11' gets noticeably worse economy above 55-60 mph. I have always had the habit of putting the trans in neutral at lights too. I can manage 18.5 to 19 mpg mixed driving mostly around town. My X has almost 15K on it now and it has improved since new.
11' Xterra
#6 Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
ryandavenport
Professional

2007 Xterra
ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough
There are two ways to save gas in an X:

1. Park it and don't drive it
2. Get rid of it

Your mileage will be slightly better after break-in period, but not a lot. I average right around 17 and I do mainly highway driving. I have stock intake and stock exhaust. If you can keep your foot out of it, an air intake and exhaust may get you better mileage. I would recommend a Volant over a K&N though, as the Volant is a dry filter where as a K&N is oiled. If done improperly, the K&N can cause issues. Also, I would recommend the ScanGauge over the UltraGauge. It is well documented that the Ultragauge causes some weird issues to pop up in 2nd Gens. Good luck!

2007 Xterra S 4x4

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension
285-75 R16 BFG AT-KO, Pro-4X Wheels, 2" OME Lift

Armor
NXRocks Skids, TAG Rear Bumper, White-Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders

Exterior
Xoskel Bumper Mount Bracket, Blacked out Emblems, Weathertech Vent Visors, FOURTREKS Hi-Lift Mount, Wilson1000 CB Antenna

Interior
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Midland CB, Compass Mirror, Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats, Nissan Carpeted Cargo Mat
2007 Xterra
#7 Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
lighten up-take out anything that sits inside you don't use. maybe take off the crossbars from the rack [aerodynamics] and what everyone else suggested
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 09-15-2012, 06:18 PM
chrishoyle534
Noob

2008 Xterra
chrishoyle534 is on a distinguished road
what is the ultragauge?
2008 Xterra
#9 Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbandkgb View Post
Best thing you could do though is add a K&N filter. Will help it breath a little better.
I forget where I found it now, but I saw a *small* study done by a university (in partnership with the EPA) studying MPG and how routine maintenance items impact it.

They actually found that a older, dirtier air filter, while causing a decrease in HP, actually caused an increase in MPG vs a new clean or after market air filter.

I recall one of the cars was a GM V6 (like a LeSabre motor or something) and one IIRC was a Toyota but I can't recall if it was the V8 or a 4 banger.

There was only 2 or 3 cars, so it was a really really small sample size and there wasn't say two of each car, just the one so who knows how it would have turned out if you expanded the study, but it was interesting none the less
2001 Xterra
#10 Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM
XUGG

XUGG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoyle534 View Post
what is the ultragauge?
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.