Overheating mystery........ - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 PM
School Bus Yellow Xterra
Noob

2000 Xterra
School Bus Yellow Xterra is on a distinguished road
Overheating mystery........

I have a 2000 Xterra with the V6, 120k miles. I recently replaced the timing belt and water pump. Every once in a while, while idling, the temp. guage will rise (regular to hot in about 10 seconds). If I idle the engine to about 1500 RPM's, the engine will cool immidiately (within 5 seconds). Does not over heat while driving.

I have checked the following:

Anti-freeze - full
Top radiator hose - hard when running indicating good flow and properly working thermostat(?)
Heater blows hot air
Radiator fan and automatic transmission fan appear to be working properly (They are turning when it overheats)

I have two questions:

1) Should an engine that hot cool that quickly?
2) Could it be the Temperature Sending Unit or Coolant Temperature Guage (Is there are difference)??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch....
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
It is possible it's the sender as they are known to wear out. Mine did and the gauge would make huge rapid changes.

The sender has an L shaped connector that is affixed to the sender with a rivet and the weight of the connector will work the rivet loose over time. The action of speeding up and slowing down moves the L shaped spade conector back and forth causing the gauge to give erroneous readings.

The red arrow indicates the ECU temp sender and the blue arrow indicates the temp gauge sender. Ignore the ECU temp sender but check to see if the temp gauge sender L spade is loose.

Check and see if it's loose then report back what you find.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 PM
School Bus Yellow Xterra
Noob

2000 Xterra
School Bus Yellow Xterra is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I checked the temp gauge sensor and it is tight.
I also failed to mention a couple of other things. When the engine was hot I (stupidly) removed the radiator cap and did not have coolant spill out. I also checked the coolant reservoir and there was no coolant in it.

Is there a way to manually check the engine core temp?
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by School Bus Yellow Xterra View Post
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I checked the temp gauge sensor and it is tight.
I also failed to mention a couple of other things. When the engine was hot I (stupidly) removed the radiator cap and did not have coolant spill out. I also checked the coolant reservoir and there was no coolant in it.

Is there a way to manually check the engine core temp?
Well you could use an infrared temp gun right on the housing next to the sensor to verify the temp. Sounds like there may be air in the system. Add coolant with the air relief screw removed if there is air in the system it will go to the bleed hole and be forced out when you add coolant.

Air relief screw location next to the throttle cables.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
muadeeb
Banned

2001 Xterra
muadeeb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by School Bus Yellow Xterra View Post
When the engine was hot I (stupidly) removed the radiator cap and did not have coolant spill out.
Bad cap; no pressure.
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
I agree with RacerXXL, it really sounds like there is air in the upper system and possibly due to the wax seal in the throttlebody. They slowly weep water when you have high miles and air gets into the cooling system.
Search in DIY section for pix and the explaination of repair.
If you look at the throttlebody towards the firewall, you usually can see antifreeze residue or even a little coolant, if it is leaking.
Do that, if after burping, it comes back.

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#7 Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM
thatguybme
Seasoned

2012 Xterra
thatguybme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
Bad cap; no pressure.
+1 - i spend months trouble shooting an old pu that would overheat while idling (radiator cleaned, fan clutch, new thermostat) to no avail.. Replaced the $5 radiator cap and that fixed my over heating

brian
2012 Xterra
#8 Old 08-19-2012, 02:07 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadeeb View Post
Bad cap; no pressure.
I'd check this as well.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.