Timing Belt $ Quotes - If you didnt do yourself - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
ImageOmega
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
ImageOmega is on a distinguished road
Timing Belt $ Quotes - If you didnt do yourself

So I got all the parts needed, and have been a bit wary of trying this repair myself. Anyway, gotten a few quotes and they're just ridiculous.

3 different places have quoted me $1200 to $1400, LABOR only.

I laugh and say its a 4 hour job, to which 3 places in a row have now said "For a non-SC 2wd, yes its 4 hours. For a Supercharged 4x4, its listed as a 13 hour job."

So uh, my question is, WTF?! Is this true?? Does anyone know where they might be looking to get this info, and can anyone who's done a belt on an SC'ed 4x4 tell me how long it actually took? I thought I was looking at like $250, which I'd be OK paying. The numbers I'm getting are just stupid though...
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageOmega View Post
So I got all the parts needed, and have been a bit wary of trying this repair myself. Anyway, gotten a few quotes and they're just ridiculous.

3 different places have quoted me $1200 to $1400, LABOR only.

I laugh and say its a 4 hour job, to which 3 places in a row have now said "For a non-SC 2wd, yes its 4 hours. For a Supercharged 4x4, its listed as a 13 hour job."

So uh, my question is, WTF?! Is this true?? Does anyone know where they might be looking to get this info, and can anyone who's done a belt on an SC'ed 4x4 tell me how long it actually took? I thought I was looking at like $250, which I'd be OK paying. The numbers I'm getting are just stupid though...

I've done timing belt on 3 NA engines and one SC engine and with two guys it took an average of 8 to 10 hours each to finish them. All of these were no corrosion no problem taking them apart engines. The SC engine, Drake's, took the longest mostly due to a broken water pump bolt we had to run out and get a replacement for.

SC vs NA engine there will be a slight difference in time but 2wd vs 4wd will not effect the time. Parts for the job are are just over $300.
No way I could do one in 4 hours and I would be shocked if even Cyclemut or Soccerbrace could pull it off in 4 hours with there vast Nissan service experience.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
ImageOmega
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Thanks Racer.

I swear I've seen other's on here posting that it was a $7-800 job, or about $1100 at a dealer, which was including parts. Since I already have the parts I was expecting ~$400 more for labor (most places around here are about $60/hr).

Damn! Maybe I'll hafta grow a pair and dive in there myself.
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
crisone
Seasoned

2001 Xterra
crisone is on a distinguished road
Over here in the Bay Area, parts and labor set me back only $600 out the door.

Cris.
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXXL View Post
No way I could do one in 4 hours and I would be shocked if even Cyclemut or Soccerbrace could pull it off in 4 hours with there vast Nissan service experience.
i've gotten it done in 5 hours and i've done 4 so far.
2001 SE Xterra
#6 Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterra Mike View Post
i've gotten it done in 5 hours and i've done 4 so far.
LIES!

I think my problem is that I have a big mouth and there's to much talking and not enough wrenching. Well there you have it 4-5 hours is possible.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
#7 Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
4 hours is my normal. I've done one in 2.5 hours before, but they were replacing their radiator at the same time so I didn't take the time to clear out the fins on the old unit, just swap everything over.

I charge $300 for the job. But I do it at my house with air tools. I take the front tires off to get the front end down so it's a ton easier (no stepping on stools to get over the support).

Even the book time calls for around 6 hours with all the goodies (water pump, all 3 seals, t-stat, etc.). So if they're charging around $125 per, then you're looking at a clean $750 for labor. I don't know what they're charging for the hours to get to $1200, but that's pretty f'in high!

Hell, it might be worth it to drive out to Denver and have me do it. Order a kit from Courtesy and have it shipped to me. I think you'd still save money. You can stay at my place, we have plenty of room. You can time me.
02 Xterra
#8 Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
4 hours is my normal. I've done one in 2.5 hours before, but they were replacing their radiator at the same time so I didn't take the time to clear out the fins on the old unit, just swap everything over.

I charge $300 for the job. But I do it at my house with air tools. I take the front tires off to get the front end down so it's a ton easier (no stepping on stools to get over the support).
Great idea...never thought of that.

Quote:
Hell, it might be worth it to drive out to Denver and have me do it. Order a kit from Courtesy and have it shipped to me. I think you'd still save money. You can stay at my place, we have plenty of room. You can time me.
Nope you know all the tricks.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
#9 Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
20 years of doing timing belts does a lot Kelly, if you did it for that long, you'd be the same place, I'm positive of it.

Now if I can master walking on water, fishing would be a lot easier!
02 Xterra
#10 Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 AM
ImageOmega
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Glad to hear I wasn't too far off. So lets say 6 hours, at $60 around here should NOT be anywhere near the price's I'm hearing.... grrrr.

Cycle - Lol, you've got me considering crazy ideas now, damnit! We're doing a 2500 mile road trip from NC upto ME and back in early August - there was something going on in CO the next week (forget what it was now....) and I was already wondering if I could make it from ME to CO in time, lol. Just can't really do it due to work schedule but it would be awesome to hit the whole country and get a timing belt done on the way. D'oh well. Thanks for the offer though!

Another question for you guys that have done this - I also want to replace the motor mounts and exhaust manifolds in the fairly near future. Is it worthwhile / easier and faster to do this at the same time, or is there really no synergy/benefit to grouping these repairs/maintenance?

Also - if anyone is within 2-3 hours of Charlotte and knows how to do this, I'm pretty handy just think this is a little out of my reach. I'd help out and give you $2-300 + beer/food for the day no questions asked. Give me a shout if your interested/willing.

Last edited by ImageOmega; 06-15-2012 at 07:02 AM.
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.