2006 Xterra rear sway bar - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
ORhunter

2006 Xterra
ORhunter is on a distinguished road
2006 Xterra rear sway bar

Hey Guys,

Replacing my shocks and notice my rear sway bar is broken. Really don't know for now long.

Question is....replace it, or just remove it? Thoughts?

I saw a thread on Gen 1s that said just remove it. Same for 2nd Gens?

Thanks.
2006 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
TomsRedX
Addict

2008 OR Xterra
TomsRedX will become famous soon enough
If you do any towing you should keep it on, if not leave it off. I have 2 of them if you want to replace it.

Tom

2008 OR V6 6MT

2005 S R.I.P. 3-10-2005 to 6-23-2010
2008 OR Xterra
#3 Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

The 2nd Gen X bar doesn't whack the passenger side rear shock as it does on the 1st gen X's...so its less of a safety priority.

It DOES hinder rear wheel travel, and doesn't seem to do much to prevent body roll, etc...so many remove it.

Some people who tow with the 2nd Gen say its better with the rear bar, but some say its the same towing w/o it...

So to me a realistic compromise mirrors what Tom said...if towing - put it on, if not, leave it off.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#4 Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
ORhunter

2006 Xterra
Hmm...i was hoping it was going to be the "take it off..it makes no difference". I occaisionally tow a rockwood tent trailer. Like I said, I have no idea how long it's been broken. Probably since my antelope hunt 2 years ago (what a rocky hell hole that was...).

I figure I tow the trailer about 4 times year, but go hunting many more times than that.
2006 Xterra
#5 Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
jakel

2005 Xterra
jakel is on a distinguished road
Well, I suppose it's what kind of hunting you do, sounds to me like off road kind of stuff. If you think it broke on one of those adventures, I'd say leave it off!!

How much does your loaded trailer weigh and what's the typical drive distance might be other things to consider.

A big part of the reason I just bought my '05 X is for hunting, only an annual elk trip but still, it can be pretty hairy. We have an old pop-up camper that'll be towed by the X for family camping, but I'm inclined to lose the rear sway all the same. Threads like this push me in that direction, which is good because at least there's opinions out there to . . .

. . . swaaayyyy us . . .

Last edited by jakel; 05-23-2012 at 09:19 PM.
2005 Xterra
#6 Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 PM
ORhunter

2006 Xterra
I think I'll remove the pieces and see how the trailer tows. I hunt locally quite a bit (blacktail deer), so I'm not using the trailer that much. I don't think the pop trailer weighs that much...under 3000lb I'm sure.

What potentially would be bad about the towing performance?
2006 Xterra
#7 Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORhunter View Post
Hmm...i was hoping it was going to be the "take it off..it makes no difference". I occaisionally tow a rockwood tent trailer. Like I said, I have no idea how long it's been broken. Probably since my antelope hunt 2 years ago (what a rocky hell hole that was...).

I figure I tow the trailer about 4 times year, but go hunting many more times than that.
I think you answered you own question.

If you could tell it wasn't there for two years...it probably was not making enough of a difference to notice.

IE: IF it HAD made a difference, you would have noticed the difference in DRIVING, and not when under there any way to look at the shocks.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.