Carbon Canister / Evap Vent Control Valve Nightmare - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
lykofos

2004 Xterra
lykofos is on a distinguished road
Carbon Canister / Evap Vent Control Valve Nightmare

I had a failed repair day today and need some advice. MIL is on and throwing codes p1448 and p0455. Searched and the likely culprit seems to be the evap vent control valve. I figured that I'll take it off and try to clean it / get the valve working again before ordering a new part. Two small bolts...easy enough...or so it would seem...

Since my Xterra is a 2004, I liberally applied PB Blaster to the blots twice and let it soak in for about an hour each time before even beginning to wrench. I figured that I'd take the carbon canister assembly / valve out as a whole so it would be easier to work on, but the damn 2 hoses connected to the carbon canister didn't want to break free despite trying to loosen them off with a pair of pliers and a screw driver for almost 15 minutes.

So, I decided to just leave the carbon canister on and work on it attached to the underside still. Much to my dismay, I sheared off both vent control valve bolts after two turns on the ratchet, which are now stuck inside the carbon canister.

1) Should I even try to drill the seized / snapped bolts out of the carbon canister or just bite the bullet and order a new carbon canister and vent control valve?

2) The Xterra is my daily driver. Since both bolts are sheared off, I zip-tied the vent control valve to the carbon canister to hold it in place. Should it be safe to drive (aside from possibly leaking a little pollution) until I can fix it permanently? I don't want to break it anymore than it already is.

Build Thread: A Chronicle of Lykofos' Xterra - 2004 XE
Modifications: 2" BL, 1.5" PML, 33x12.50 Goodyear Duratracs on 15x8 Cragars, Shrock Sliders, Shrock Front Bumper, Luevano Fab Rear Tire Carrier, L&P Steering, Alcan Springs, Bilsteins
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Gustling
Guenstling

2002 Xterra
Gustling is on a distinguished road
I have no idea, but that's fine body of work you did there...

Sent from The Dark Side

Gustling

2002 2WD SE
Silverstar headlight and fog light bulbs
Removed mud flaps
Painted rims
Hella 500 Black Magics
B&M Light Bar installed (no lights yet)

Contemplating: PML, BL, tires suitable for mild off roading
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
phrog man
Chrome can go to hell

2004 Xterra
phrog man will become famous soon enough
Hmmm being the stubborn mech that I am I would try to drill them out. Get new hardware and press on.

However!, I have never worked on that component before so in not sure what cleaning/ repairing it entails.

2004 BLACK X-AUTO
Build Thread
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Powerguy37
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
Powerguy37 is on a distinguished road
Get out the big boy hammer and beat the hell out of it!

ECXC 2K12 Organizer
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
ITR_J

2004 Xterra
ITR_J is on a distinguished road
I don't think that will cause any issues. as long as you don't mind how it looks. I would guess that there is in o-ring on that control valve so as long as its properly seated in the hole it shouldn't leak. what is the decription for the codes that you have?
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
lykofos

2004 Xterra
Good point phrogman, I suppose that I have nothing to loose by trying to drill out the bolts before ordering another carbon canister.

ITR_J - definitely don't care how it looks as long as it's fixed temporarily. lol. That part is tucked up under the rear where the stock spare tire is held, so it's not visible anyway.

P1448 = EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve (Open)
P0455 = EVAP Control System Gross Leak (Large)

I'm guessing the vent valve malfunctioning /sticking in the open position causes the 2nd code to get tripped by proxy. So when I replace the vent control valve, it should close properly and prevent the gross leak code form happening too.

Modifications: 2" BL, 1.5" PML, 33x12.50 Goodyear Duratracs on 15x8 Cragars, Shrock Sliders, Shrock Front Bumper, Luevano Fab Rear Tire Carrier, L&P Steering, Alcan Springs, Bilsteins
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykofos View Post
Since both bolts are sheared off, I zip-tied the vent control valve to the carbon canister to hold it in place. Should it be safe to drive (aside from possibly leaking a little pollution) until I can fix it permanently? I don't want to break it anymore than it already is.

Man that is some genuine redkneck engineering right there.....sure you're not from 'round here?

Smart thinking to get it temporarily handled.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#8 Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 AM
lykofos

2004 Xterra
Lol, thanks, some areas of PA are also well known for specializing in redneck engineering! I always have duct tape and zip-ties in my Xterra. If you can't fix something with those two items, it can't be fixed!

2004 Xterra
#9 Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM
MichaelC

2002 Xterra
MichaelC is on a distinguished road
I've never posted or belonged to a forum before. I hope someone reads this!
I have the same problem with my xterra. I bought the valve, but when I tried to remove the bolts they broke off. One other problem is that I can't figure out how to disconnect the wire connector. There seems to be a slider on top that you can move toward the valve, I assumed that this would release the connector and allow me to slide the connector off.
After a few hours at it I gave up. What is the trick?

Last edited by MichaelC; 10-08-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: remove the ad
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
legend869
Veteran

2001 Xterra
legend869 is on a distinguished road
Garage
I'm trying to fix a po1441 code with replacement of the vent control valve. I managed to get mine off without stripping anything but them things expensive!

LIFE LESSON ONE=DONT SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DONT PET THE SWEATY THINGS
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.