M226 seals leaking - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM
dezurtrat
Mindless Modding Moderator

2008 Xterra
dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light
M226 seals leaking

So, I smelled burning coming from drivers side rear wheel. Pulled wheel thinking I was maybe leaking brake fluid. Pulled caliper but then I could see no leaks around the caliper but wet spots around the center of the axle. Figure the axle seal was leaking. Then I started checking around and the front diff seal is also leaking.

I grabbed the breather but it rattles around. I have read they can plug pressurizing the axle pushing fluid past the seals. Do I need to pull the breather off to make sure its not plugged? When I put my blue torch diff cover on I noticed air escape when I removed the fill plug which I thought should not happen if the breather was working. Which leads me to ask is there any reason that adding the diff cover would cause me an issue?

I went ahead and did the breather mod. I then checked the diff fluid level and this time no air escaping noise this time when i pulled the fill plug. I looked at the fill plug on the blue torch cover and its pretty high. I just wonder if you can over fill to the point that the axles are filled to the top and no room is left for air to move out the breather.

I've never worked on axles and feel a little nervous about it. I have an extended warranty through GEICO but not sure seals are covered and not sure that diff cover will cause questions.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NXRocks Sliders, BlueTorch Fab Diff Cover, Volant CAI with AEM Filter....More to come!
2008 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
dezurtrat

2008 Xterra
dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light dezurtrat is a glorious beacon of light
BTW, found a Nissan Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) on this issue. I'll post it up later.

NXRocks Sliders, BlueTorch Fab Diff Cover, Volant CAI with AEM Filter....More to come!
2008 Xterra
#3 Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Miller5103
Noob

2007 Xterra
Miller5103 is on a distinguished road
Did you ever take on the job of replacing the seals? Both of my rear axle seals are leaking and my rear pinion seal is leaking. Dealership is telling me it will be ~$950 to replace seals/bearings (had it in for the fuel sensor fix). I'm thinking about taking the job on myself since parts are only around $250, but haven't worked on axles before. Wondering how difficult it was if you did it.
2007 Xterra
#4 Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
SamsXE
Veteran

2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
I would find a transmission/alxe shop, they could probably do it faster and have more knowledge about how a alxe operates than a shop tech reading the how-to on the computer. (not saying nissan techs are incompetent but not all of them rebuild axles every day)
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
oharag
Noob

2005 Xterra
oharag is on a distinguished road
I've had my rear seals leak since I bought the car in 2005. I had the seals replaced under warranty a number of times (maybe twice). They leaked again. I found information on the internet showing others had the same issue. I had 5 yr/100,000 extended warranty and had a whole new rear drive train installed under warranty. Now some 75,000 miles the rear seals are leaking again. I was informed there is a service bullentin dated JAN 2010 - maybe before my new drive train was replaced - noting this issue. I called 1-800-NISSAN1 to file a complaint. They told me to take it into a Nissan dealer for diagnosis - obtain a cost and then they will contact Nissan Corp. I told this women - does this mean you will resolve the issue after I wasted my time and money - and she said no - though there may be a resolution. What the heck - I'll give it a try.
2005 Xterra
#6 Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
dezurtrat

2008 Xterra
Well, this turned out to be almost a disaster had I not had a after market warranty. Dealer f'd up my axle by not putting enough fluid back in. Said I had too much fluid due to my after market rear diff cover which they said caused the seals to leak because it plugged my breather. BS, I checked the breather and it wasn't plugged. Besides, there are many xterras out there with this issue thus the reason Nissan issued a TSB. Duh!

So, not enough fluid destroyed the pinion bearing and ring gear. I had to have a new axle put in. I'm done with dealers. A bunch of f'ing idiots. My aftermarket warranty saved me $3,000!

If that was not enough, Nissan charges $3k for a REBUILT axle or $3.3k for a new one. Nissan go F u c k yourself. Unreal.

My shop wanted to rebuild it but Nissan won't sell the parts. My guy says he's never seen an axle in all his years that couldn't be rebuilt! Junk.

2008 Xterra
#7 Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Well that sucks.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#8 Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM
dezurtrat

2008 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXXL View Post
Well that sucks.
You aint kidding!

I was in a rant mood. Nissan missed the boat on the Gen 2's IMHO and ESPECIALLY that M226 with the locker.....

2008 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.