callendargirl
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Xterra
callendargirl is on a distinguished road
Question Rear Main Seal

While my husband was home on R&R we decided to purchase a new vehicle. None of our other vehicles would allow us to put a car seat into them, and with a new baby, a new truck was a must have. We decided to buy a Nissan Xterra. Im not familiar with foreign vehicles at all, but he said it was a good truck to purchase so i agreed to it.

He bought a 2001 nissan xterra with about 114,000 miles on it.Truck has a salvaged title, owners claimed it was for theft. When we looked at it, there seemed to be an oil leak from the valve cover. When we bought it home, my husband repaired that issue. He also changed the oil. The truck didnt come with a manual, so he looked up what the required amount of oil for the truck was online. He ended up putting 4 quarts into it.

Now the truck started leaking ALOT of oil out of it right after that, so i took it into a shop, since my husband is back overseas. They said that it was leaking a decent amount of oil out of the rear main seal. That particular shop wouldnt touch it since its foreign. I called about five different places before i got a quote of about $750 to fix the rear main seal.

I ended up reading online that if the truck gets overfilled with oil that it will leak out of the rear main seal. Now my question is...Was 4 quarts of oil too much for an xterra and would it be coming out of the main seal if this much was put into the truck?
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Gustling
Guenstling

2002 Xterra
Gustling is on a distinguished road
Xterras hold about 3.5 qts of oil. Not sure if that's make it leak from there but someone on here will be able to tell you.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Gustling

2002 2WD SE
Silverstar headlight and fog light bulbs
Removed mud flaps
Painted rims
Hella 500 Black Magics
B&M Light Bar installed (no lights yet)

Contemplating: PML, BL, tires suitable for mild off roading
2002 Xterra
post #3 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM
piratex
Addict

2006 X mt Xterra
piratex is on a distinguished road
750 for a seal is rediculous. You could probably pick up a engine for around that price. I would call around places and if it will make it easier for them you could always order the seals/kit needed for it from one of our site sponsors who can get you the part numbr and parts all squared away for you. Also congrats on the new baby

pirate in all aspects of the term.... well somewhat.
"i understand its a jeep thing, thats why i drive a XTERRA"

2006 X mt Xterra
post #4 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
timb.
Phreak

2001 Xterra
timb. will become famous soon enough
I got quoted 900 for mine.....unfortuately it is almost ALL labor cost. about 7-9 hours if i remember correctly.

"Last time I checked there are streets and parking lots in queens. Why not install it there?" I do....since you like quotes so much.
2001 Xterra
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
xtacular
Spaz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
4 quarts is too much, capacity is 3.5 (assuming you have the v6). Regardless of what the problem really is, $750 doesn't sound too bad, it requires separating the tranny from the motor.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
post #6 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM
drbandkgb
It was always fumbles

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
Your blowing oil out the rear... need to change the oil again and only add 3.5

too much oil is a bad thing
2000 Xterra
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Txterror

2000 Xterra
Txterror is on a distinguished road
Garage
the rear main is a real PITA! not only do you have to pull the transmission out, but you have to drop the cross members, most of the exhaust, remove the torsion bars, snake the wire harness through the tunnel and the side of the motor (alot easier to do with a body lift). personlly, ive had to replace the motor and have done the rear main seal before. i find it alot easier to pull the motor and replace it with nothing in your way.

the nice thing about pulling the motor is that there is not a whole lot you have to pull apart to get it out. if you find a bracket to put on another bracket on the drivers rear cylinder head (it has to holes in it for something but no idea what) and put the other side of the chain where the power steering pump goes, disconnect the bellhousing and torque converter bolts it will come out pretty easy.
2000 Xterra
post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 AM
sionnach
Addict

2000 v6 SE Xterra
sionnach will become famous soon enough
Just had mine done. Book charge is 8 hours. Mine took closer to 11-14.

--
Todd
Seattle, WA

~85k miles (nov 2010)
[X] RED LED map lights [X] Thor Mod [X] PML [ ] Total Chaos IAB [X] Bilsteins [X] 32x11.50R15/C BFG A/T KO [ ] Tail Light Covers [ ] lighting package (top bar and bumper mount) [ ] UCA & AAL to finalize SL
[ ] Shrock front bumper [ ] “ Rock sliders [ ] “ Front skid plate [ ] “ Engine skid plate [ ] “ Tcase skid plate [ ] “ Gas tank skid plate [ ] “ Rear bumper [ ] Convert all stock lights to LED
2000 v6 SE Xterra
post #9 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
callendargirl
Noob

2001 Xterra
callendargirl is on a distinguished road
We paid someone 650 to replace the rear main. I picked the truck up tonight and I'm really unhappy. The exhaust never leaked or rattled before, now its doing both very badly. Even more concerning is the fact that m barely able to get this truck in and out of gear anymore. To get it from park to drive, you have to slam the gear shifter forward, then squeeze it and pull back. When you go to put it in park like normal you have to slam the gear shifter forward without pressing the button in order for it to click into the park position. NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS BEFORE. should I take it back? Will they even fix what they broke?
2001 Xterra
post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by callendargirl View Post
We paid someone 650 to replace the rear main. I picked the truck up tonight and I'm really unhappy. The exhaust never leaked or rattled before, now its doing both very badly. Even more concerning is the fact that m barely able to get this truck in and out of gear anymore. To get it from park to drive, you have to slam the gear shifter forward, then squeeze it and pull back. When you go to put it in park like normal you have to slam the gear shifter forward without pressing the button in order for it to click into the park position. NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS BEFORE. should I take it back? Will they even fix what they broke?
It sounds like they (Might have) fixed one problem, and caused some new ones by putting it back together poorly.

I WOULD bring it back and tell them you want it to work as it did when you gave it to them.

Unless you can't trust them anymore...etc

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.