2002 Rough idle/misfire - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
HAMM3R
Noob

2002 Xterra
HAMM3R is on a distinguished road
2002 Rough idle/misfire

Hey yall. I have a real headache here that I could really use some help with. My girlfriend has a 2002 Xterra 3.3 non S/C with 113,000 miles on it. This problem has her convinced the car is garbage and she wants to sell it. Please help me fix it so she'll keep it!

It has a rough idle. When the car is in Drive the car will shake rather violently when stopped. It will occasionally clear itself up and start idling smooth again for about 20 seconds and then go back to shaking.

When driving, it will drive fine for a while but after getting warmed up it will has periods of nearly total power loss. For example she'll be driving on the highway doing 60mph and it will begin to "misfire" and the car will slow down to about 40mph. Usually during this time, the SES light is blinking. She pegs the throttle and it won't accelerate... total lack of power. This will last for a minute or a bit longer, then the car will go back to normal. It has yet to stall completely.

The car has these codes:
Multiple cylinder misfire/Random
Knock Sensor
Running too rich/lean (it alternates (i think?... i didnt pay excellent attention last time I had a scanner on it))

Since the problem began I have done the following: (ive been reading the forums and trying everything I read about)
Replaced spark plugs and wires (they are gapped to .43)
Replaced entire distributor (had rusty debris around the bearing)
Replaced timing belt (It was loose and making noise)
Replaced fuel filter.

(I can take the wires off any cylinder and it still shakes the same. No difference. Whatever it is, is affecting the whole engine)

I kept getting told it sounded like an ignition problem, so I replaced the entire ignition system (except the computer?).
All that I can think of now is fuel, which I started with the fuel filter. I wanted to hear from you guys before attempting the pump/sending unit.

The car acts now EXACTLY as it did before I did any of these repairs, so I highly doubt I used a bad part or did anything wrong.

Last year a friend replaced the valve cover gaskets.

Thats all i got yall. Please, any light you can shed on this issue is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HAMM3R; 02-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Try the MAF sensor, it might need cleaning.

If the timing belt had jumped a tooth, etc, when you changed it, it might not have corrected it if you didn't reclock, etc.

Did you change the tension pin, etc, and water pump when you did the timing belt?

You didn't mention an air filter change?

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#3 Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 PM
HAMM3R
Noob

2002 Xterra
HAMM3R is on a distinguished road
I will clean the MAF sensor now.

The timing belt was done by a local mechanic who I trust, so Im assuming it is clocked right. Kindda a tough one to second guess though, it's a lot of work to check as you know.

When I had the belt changed, I was on a real budget so I didn't change anything else. I was just trying to correct the fault.

The air filter is clean enough. Certainly not clogged or moldy or anything.

I assumed the timing belt being jumped would indicate a loss of power constantly, not the intermittent issues I'm getting? Am I right or should I seriously consider the belt again?
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
offthefront

2002 Xterra
offthefront is on a distinguished road
keep it up guys ....my wifes 02 SC is doing the same cept she sez only at idle and when starting from a stop ...cruising its ok ....just started today and I haven't had a chance to look at it .....otf
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM
offthefront

2002 Xterra
offthefront is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefront View Post
keep it up guys ....my wifes 02 SC is doing the same cept she sez only at idle and when starting from a stop ...cruising its ok ....just started today and I haven't had a chance to look at it .....otf
Changed the bearing in the distributor, new plugs,wires,cap&rotor .....same issue ......going to clean the MAF
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.