Stereo whine, help! - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
LuvMyDux
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
LuvMyDux is on a distinguished road
Stereo whine, help!

Ok, here's the deal, I've been at this for 5 straight nights but still no resolution...

Got this DVD player for Xmas and finally got around to installing it http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43737_Pyle-PLDN74BTI.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&ut m_campaign=product_ads&utm_content=pla&utm_term={k eyword}&gclid=CL2_6ZKGga4CFacbQgodW1Aa3g

I'm not a professional audio guy but I have installed quite a few stereo systems in my years, my own cars and friends. My issue is that I cannot get rid of this stupid alternator whine. It is not noticeable until I hit 2700RPMs and above.

I have tried 2 different harness, 4 different ground locations to bare metal, a couple Radio Shack "snap core choke" things and even re-wired all the speakers to run to the deck. I am not using the factory Fosgate amp, I unplugged it and pulled the fuse. I even tried a ground loop isolator. I'm so mad right now and I'm about to just say F this and put the factory deck back in. What is the issue here, is it that this brand deck is that bad? So, what do you guys suggest?
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Ricel
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Ricel has a spectacular aura about them Ricel has a spectacular aura about them
You hooking up an aftermarket amp at all?

-Curt
2002 Black Xterra SE 4x4

Build Thread
:Lets just say its getting to be an expensive mod list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Everett View Post
I'd rather attempt to put together a 5000 piece puzzle of nothing but blackness than set the pinion lash on a Dana diff.
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
LuvMyDux
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
No amps yet, was going to get new amp and sub but if I can't resolve this noise then I'm putting the factory Fosgate deck and sub back in.
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM
modxterra
Addict

2004 Xterra
modxterra is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem. Everything was fine with all grounds and wiring. Switched decks out kept same wiring and whining is there. switched the decks back and no more whining. Sometimes cheap decks are like that

Travis
2004 Red 4X4 AT
Yakima Roof Rack
Bilstein Shocks and Steering Stabilizer
33x12.5 General Grabber Red Letters
AEM Cold Air Intake
AC 2" BL with AC pml
HD TRAs
Idle Arm Brace
Shrock Front and Rear
Rocky Road Outfitters Super Sliders
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
LuvMyDux
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
I don't want to buy a new deck and run into the risk of having the same issue, also been doing internet research and reading that a 12 volt noise filter may work.
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them
Do you have a ground to the radio chassis?
Also try unplugging your antenna and driving around to see if you need a new antenna/cable or reroute it.

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
#7 Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by modxterra View Post
I had the same problem. Everything was fine with all grounds and wiring. Switched decks out kept same wiring and whining is there. switched the decks back and no more whining. Sometimes cheap decks are like that
I've noticed the same.

If you want someone to take another look at it i'm up by the airport.

If you bought the plug kit we can swap it into mine and see if we still get the same noise.
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
LuvMyDux
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
***update***

I finally got the issue resolved. Got a 12volt noise filter installed on the power line between the harness and stereo. Like magic, no more alternator whine as RPMs climb.
2003 Xterra
#9 Old 02-04-2012, 09:14 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Might want to check the battery out too while your at it. Its often a sign of a dying battery.
2000 Xterra
#10 Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
LuvMyDux
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by miskywhisky View Post
Might want to check the battery out too while your at it. Its often a sign of a dying battery.
I got my battery and alternator check, both are showing good voltage.

Have another question, my deck only has 1 RCA designated for subs and my amp is a two channel so it has two RCA inputs. As of right now, the deck is powering the two from speakers and the 1 rear 6x9. I'm using the rear RCAs from the deck to the amp for the sub. Should I get a Y-Splitter to make the RCA into 1 and plug it into the Sub output in the deck. Hope that makes sense? Will doing this make my bass stronger?
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.