Question About Computer Codes P0328 and P0430 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
dpippel
Noob

2002 Xterra
dpippel is on a distinguished road
Question About Computer Codes P0328 and P0430

Howdy everyone. I've got a 2002 XE EFI 4WD 5-speed with a "Service Engine Soon" light on and the above two codes are being thrown. Maybe someone here can give me some advice?

Firstly, I realize that P0328 is the infamous knock sensor issue. The other code, according to my Nissan dealer, indicates a failed Bank 2 Catalytic Converter. The truck has also been diagnosed with cracked exhaust manifolds which ties in with the CC issue. My CC does have an internal metallic rattle when the engine is started cold so I'm inclined to think that the dealer is correct.

Here's my situation - the dealer has assured me that the knock sensor code does NOT cause the Service Engine Light to come on and that if I get the exhaust manifolds/CC replaced that my light will go away. Can anyone tell me if this is indeed true? The vehicle has 125K miles and runs great, so I'm sure the knock sensor code is erroneous and I have no intention of spending $700 to replace it. However, if getting the exhaust manifolds/CC fixed will get rid of my Service Engine light then I'm going to go ahead. Besides, if my CC is gone I may not pass emissions this year.

Any insights or advice would be MOST appreciated! Thanks!
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
the knock sensor code only shows up when do get the check engine light.
So no worries there, may hurt your gas mileage a bit

The p0430 code on the other hand if it is indeed your catalyct converter than yes having it replaced will make your light go off. Now on the other hand if it is the 02 sensor behind the catalyct converter then your still going to get the light.

Neither of these codes affects drive ability.

Try seafoam first, my 04 has been throwing these codes off and on for the last couple of months.

Doesn't a check engine light automatic make a vehicle fail inspection?

work in progress

265/75/16 Cooper Discover ST maxxs
pro comp 7032
Calmini UCA's
prg deaver 2nd gen aal
4x4parts revolver shackles
grassroots 4x4 centerlink
3 inch bilsteins
bilstein steering stabilizer

Last edited by lbishop; 01-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
dpippel
Noob

2002 Xterra
Thanks for the info lbishop. I've already run one can of Seafoam through her and it had no effect on the codes. I also cleaned the MAF sensor. The truck just got tuned up (plugs, wires, rotor, dist. cap, etc.) and had a belt replacement as well.

Anyone else?
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
good luck, man i think you would get off cheaper going through autozone or an online parts deal like autopartswarehouse to replace the cat or the cracked exhaust manifold

work in progress

265/75/16 Cooper Discover ST maxxs
pro comp 7032
Calmini UCA's
prg deaver 2nd gen aal
4x4parts revolver shackles
grassroots 4x4 centerlink
3 inch bilsteins
bilstein steering stabilizer
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM
dpippel
Noob

2002 Xterra
Thanks man. Unfortunately I don't have the tools, expertise, or patience to do the manifold/CC repair myself. The dealership quoted me $1700. Of course I can probably find an independent Nissan shop elsewhere that will do it for less money. Either way though, ouch.
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
I just replaced my CC - not hard, just a PITA to get the stock one off.

The one I got:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2404&ppt=C0022

Mine is a 2Gen, just get the one for your MY.

Frankly, the swap took about 2 hours go get it out, 15 min to get back in.

Take off the exhaust from just before the bend to go into the collector (just before the rear wheel well) and it all goes a LOT smoother. Some of my time was just figuring out the plan of attack... on a scale of 1-5, 5 being a transmission rebuild, this was about a 2. Harder than changing a tire, but not really that bad.

Lots of PBlaster on the connectors, though.

I did get a scantool to clear my code - 300miles later no problem.
http://www.scantool.net/elmscan5-compact.html

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#7 Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
dpippel
Noob

2002 Xterra
Thanks for the info Dustin. My converter is up front and, according to the dealer, part of the exhaust manifold assembly. Unfortunately auto repair and I just don't get along. I'll end up taking it somewhere and just bite down hard on the cost. Never was good at mechanics.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.