post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
PaulsX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 XE V6 Xterra
PaulsX is on a distinguished road
Ball Joint replacement

I searched a bit and nothing popped at me, so I'll take the hit when one of you guys point out 3 different search result links for me..

This is in regards to a 1G 2WD that is completely stock and will remain that way.

My ball joints are looking pretty rough all around, (inner/outer tie-rod ends, UCA/LCA) The boots are torn and while there doesn't seem to be any play on them now, I'm starting the steps to replacing them down the road.

Tie rod ends are easy enough and for the price, I'll just go ahead and replace all 4 ends. As far as the ball joints on the UCA/LCA's, has anyone attempted with success to replace just the ball joint? RockAuto, as well as most of the popular OEM parts places list ball joints individually.

Looking at the factory service manual, it tells you to replace the entire arm if the joint is bad. I know that some vehicles have the ball joints 'tabbed' or spiked to prevent removal. Is this the case with the X?

Like I said, the truck is stock so I have no intentions of upgrading, unless it looks to be more cost effective than going with OEM arms. Upper's aren't incredibly bad @ $134 through Courtesy, but lowers are $280 and change a piece! If I can get away with replacing just the ball joints, I'll be happy.

Thanks for any input from you guys that have done this. I really just need to hear either Yes, you can press them out, or No they can't be replaced separately from the arm, so I can start budgeting to redo the front suspension this summer.

Paul
00 Xterra -127,xxx miles young
99 Miata Sport
08 Expedition EL -18' of gas guzzling fury
97 Eclipse GS-T - Jack stand queen for 6 years and counting. She FINALLY RUNS!!
2000 XE V6 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
There is a DIY for the LBJ on the Gen 1 trucks and I have replaced mine so the lower can be done. I have aftermarket UCA's and I don't even recall what the uppers looked like, sorry. Someone will be along to give some advice on the upper ball joints.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
njscott

2002 Xterra
njscott is on a distinguished road
I replaced all my ball joints. Without taking the A-Arms off. You have to get a little creative and unless you are a fairly strong dude, you may not be able to get the uppers off.

AFter I did my ball joints I then did my timing belt. Which was a total walk in the park ice cream and rainbows, kitty cats, pretty birds singing.

If I had to do it again I would, but I'd rather do 2 timing belts compared to one set of ball joints haha

Copper 2002 XE - Bone Stock
2002 Xterra
post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
S2X01
Phreak

2001 Xterra
S2X01 will become famous soon enough
Here ya go

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12866

Stu.

'01 Silver XE
Got Some Mods.....More comin.

BUILD THREAD

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
That's it, I'm gonna start carrying my muzzle-loader in the rig. Ain't no sneakin' up on me!

Of course there's always been a rivalry between Blackfoot and the Shoshone tribes anyway. Indian signs getting thrown around and my wife looking at me like I'm the idiot. I mean really, someone flashes me 'Your mom looks like a doe's ass' sign and it's on!
2001 Xterra
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
dawgn86

2002 Xterra
dawgn86 is on a distinguished road
Pauls

just follow Stu's link above..dead on...Im not a mechanic, but I did my lowers in one afternoon..I have a 2wd 02 Xterra and dont have road salt issues, etc.

be sure to have jackstands and a spare floorjack would be handy, but not needed. I also rented a ball joint press, but didnt need it either. The top of the LBJ has a 1 and 7/8" nut which has tabs notched over on it. Just take a cold chisel and knock them back..and you can undo the nut and whack out the joint...clean it up really good.

I couldnt get my uppers off..the ball joint press I had rented wasnt long enough, so I just left them for now...
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.