Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ashleydenee is on a distinguished road
Loud Squeaking - Front Right

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra (4WD).

For the past few months, there has been a loud squeaking eminating from the front right tire area of my truck. Since winter has hit, the squeaking has seemingly doubled in noise.

Some facts:
- Persists regardless of speed
- Persists regardless of turning/driving straight
- Braking doesn't seem to be a factor

I won't be repairing my truck myself (I'll likely take it into a Meineke or Nissan Dealership) but I would like to get an idea of what the issue may be. I don't want to get messed with or end up spending money that I shouldn't because I don't understand the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Is the squeaking evenly spaced? Is it rhythmic? Does it get faster or slower as you go faster or slow down?

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
post #3 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Ashleydenee
Noob

The squeaking is rhythmic, though it does seem to speed up when the vehicle speeds up.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 AM
XdotNET

XdotNET is on a distinguished road
Try this before going to a mechanic, it might save you some big bucks. While the truck is stopped and not running, press on the front bumper plastic rythmically, like you are giving someone CPR. You might try a few different spots, try it high, try it middle, try it low, for me it was right in front of the wheel. See if you can make it squeek.

There is a support rod behind the bumper that goes from the bottom up to a body mount. That body mount is a little square piece, has rubber on both sides and a screw in the middle. That screw came loose for me and I got a loud squeek with the smallest bump or movement on the truck.

You'll still want to fix it or have it fixed if you can't do it, but at least you could tell the shop whats wrong instead of letting them say you need something major. I'll try to get some pics tonight after work.

If you can make it squeak like this, there is nothing mechanically wrong.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 AM
XdotNET

If this is the squeak, it's not a hard repair it can be a hassle, but not difficult. Mine was a pain because (of course) the bolt was frozen and since it goes into a rubber mount I couldn't get any leverage on it. I cut the top bolt, undid the bottom bolt (which broke off of course) took the rod off, zip tied the rod to the mount and soaked the bolts in PJ Blaster for a week before I could turn them out.

So if you can make it squeak by pressing on the bumper, don't let a mechanic tell you you need $1000 bucks worth the new whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wd22_620-2.gif
Views:	125
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	7485  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM
XdotNET

I should clairify where to press the bumper plastic. See the picture below. Press the front and around the sides in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nissan_04xterra_angularfront_Regular.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	7489  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Ashleydenee
Noob

I did what was suggested above. There was some slight noise (little click noises, occasional squeal) but nothing really even noticeable.

The slight noises got a little stronger as I moved towards the middle of my bumper, though were on both sides (even though the high-pitched squealing I get when driving is only right side).
post #8 of 19 Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Does the noise seem to move with the truck's movement, such as bouncing up/down as you drive?

Does the noise change if you turn on/off all the electrical accessories (A/C, Fan to high, radio on, headlights on high, etc)?

Does the noise change at all if you put it into 4wd, and drive in 4wd high, and then 4wd lo?

There are a LOT of things that CAN make noise, so narrowing it down helps.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Last edited by TJTJ; 12-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Ashleydenee
Noob

I was finally able to drive my truck around last night. It was about 25 degrees F, and made no squeaking at all. It seems to only squeak when either warm (audible) or when slightly cold & wet (very... very audible).

I'm going to drive it when warmer and check the above list.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Ashleydenee
Noob

Ok, I drove it around last night and made a few notes:
- Frequency of squeaking increases when speeding up & decreases when slowing down
- Not effected by going over bumps, onto curbs, etc
- Not effected by going up or downhill
- Not effected by 4WD High (forgot to check Low)
- Not effected by radio, heater/ac, etc
- When breaking suddenly, the squeaking will cease
- When breaking slowly, frequency decreases with speed rather than stopping completely

Over the 5-10 minutes I drove around going over bumps, ice, etc there were a few times where I'd break suddenly or for no reason at all the squeaking would completely stop. When it stopped, at some points it stopped for a complete minute or so before restarting. Frequently, though not always, the squeaking would begin again when I just completed a turn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.