bussbar
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 Xterra
bussbar is on a distinguished road
dreaded heater core

I purchased an aftermarket core (spectra) minus the the plastic inlets(probably the cause of the leak) . I looked at nissan oem core, these parts come with the assembly. Is there a place where I can buy just the inlets and orings? Also, I read that there is a method of replacment without removal of the dash. Is this true?

Last edited by bussbar; 12-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
The outlets are not available from Nissan if they were many here would be ecstatic as they would not have to rip apart the dash to get the core out.....which is the only way I'm aware of to replace the core.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
post #3 of 20 Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM
assassin_works
Veteran

2003 Xterra
assassin_works is on a distinguished road
wait so your saying that nissan dont produce the inlet and return manifold for the heater core anymore ?
2003 Xterra
post #4 of 20 Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin_works View Post
wait so your saying that nissan dont produce the inlet and return manifold for the heater core anymore ?
If they did at one point....they no longer do according to the parts diagrams.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
post #5 of 20 Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 PM
assassin_works
Veteran

2003 Xterra
so what are we supose to do for us that have the heater manifolds broken any aftermarket co. building then or is it your just SOL
2003 Xterra
post #6 of 20 Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
Garage
Quote:
so what are we supose to do for us that have the heater manifolds broken any aftermarket co. building then or is it your just SOL
None that I am aware of.

-Kelly- Build Thread

2000 XE V6 Xterra
post #7 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
The heater core itself has two long plastic tubes coming out of it...so, the tubes and the core are all one piece.

Those are the tubes that pass through the fire wall, and are the nipples you connect the heater hoses to in the engine bay.

There is no "manifold" per se...and the core cost me ~ $35 or so from Courtesy Nissan IIRC.

The swap itself takes 5 minute, super easy.

The process of getting AT the mofo, which is flat against the firewall behind the dash, etc...takes hours.

Putting it all BACK takes a few hours too.

I imagine that a pro dash guy could do it in less than an hour, but I was methodical, and taped labels on all the wires and screws, etc...so I'd remember where things went later, as I didn't do it all on the same day.

If LUCKY, the only broken parts are at the ENDS of the tubes IN the engine bay itself, where you can reach them...and, fit a hose section OVER them to essentially patch the leak point.

If the break/leak is on or too close to the passenger side of the firewall, you're screwed and glued.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
post #8 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 04:27 PM
assassin_works
Veteran

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTJ View Post
The heater core itself has two long plastic tubes coming out of it...so, the tubes and the core are all one piece.

Those are the tubes that pass through the fire wall, and are the nipples you connect the heater hoses to in the engine bay.

There is no "manifold" per se...and the core cost me ~ $35 or so from Courtesy Nissan IIRC.

The swap itself takes 5 minute, super easy.

The process of getting AT the mofo, which is flat against the firewall behind the dash, etc...takes hours.

Putting it all BACK takes a few hours too.

I imagine that a pro dash guy could do it in less than an hour, but I was methodical, and taped labels on all the wires and screws, etc...so I'd remember where things went later, as I didn't do it all on the same day.

If LUCKY, the only broken parts are at the ENDS of the tubes IN the engine bay itself, where you can reach them...and, fit a hose section OVER them to essentially patch the leak point.

If the break/leak is on or too close to the passenger side of the firewall, you're screwed and glued.

oh i know how to do the job itself but everyone that i checked only sell the core but not the manifold tubes ( plastic tube) that connect core to heater hoses .... mine broke flush with the fire wall lol the only thing that i can think of is to tig some aluminum tubing in place of that plastic manifold
2003 Xterra
post #9 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
bac0nfat
Veteran

2001 Xterra
bac0nfat is on a distinguished road
Mine broke pretty much flush with the firewall also:

I was able to fix it by removing the rubber grommet and pushing the hose through the firewall hole. There was enough room to get a clamp on it and make a secure connection. I don't have any photos of the fix, but can snap one if you want.

By the way, were you doing a body lift when this happened? Just curious, that's how mine happened.

Build Thread

2001 SE, AC Articulator kit w/ Bilstein shocks and Calmini AAL, 2" BL, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 33x12.5r15's, Cragar soft 8's 15x8 4.75" BS, bedlined plastics and bumpers
2001 Xterra
post #10 of 20 Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 PM
assassin_works
Veteran

2003 Xterra
no it just started to leak from the hose when i went to replace the heater hoses they just came apart
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.