New Cam bolts? - Nissan Xterra Forum
View Poll Results: Did you NEED cam bolts for your lift?
Yes 6 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

#1 Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
echo_nine
Phreak

2003 Xterra
echo_nine will become famous soon enough
New Cam bolts?

Ok i know people say to just bite the bullet and buy new cam bolts before you even start doing your lift... my question is who really needed them and had to cut the old ones out and weren't able to reuse them?

2003 Solar Yellow/ Desert Runner Rims/ Goodyear Duratracs 33x12.50/ MSF Tube Bumper / Hella 700FF / Hybrid Steering / / AC 2in Body Lift / AC PML / Shrockworks Sliders / Bilstein Front 5100 / Rear 5125 Zinc Plated / Mighty Mounted Hi-Lift / Full Set of Skid Row Skid Plates / Hybrid 3in SL / Morimoto Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit

Build Thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31347
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 AM
M3C.CA
Addict

2003 Xterra
M3C.CA will become famous soon enough
I went to get an alignment after my PML (2-3 months ago) and the shop wasn't able to complete the alignment fully because my cam bolts are completed seized. I might be able to get 'em free with 10 cans of PB Blaster and a shit-ton of wrenching but I'm planning on scoopin' some new ones from the dealer and just cutting the seized bolts out.

If I were to get aftermarket UCAs, then yes, I would need to get new cam bolts.

mongrel in the making
BUILD THREAD

Last edited by M3C.CA; 11-21-2011 at 11:23 AM.
2003 Xterra
#3 Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
You don't need them for the pml, you need them for the alignment afterwards. Given yours is a NE vehicle i'm going to say yes you will need them. Out here mine went ok but i was spraying them with pb for a week before i took it in.
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
BWXT
Veteran

2003 Xterra
BWXT will become famous soon enough
I bought them ahead of time. I tried to get the originals off. After messing with the first one for a half hour, I cut it off. I didn't even touch the other three with a wrench, just cut 'em. I would buy them and if you don't need them return them. And yes, it sucks dropping $70 on four bolts. Makes you want to key a few of the cars on your way out of the stealership.

Sent from my ass

'03 X, 3" AC lift, 31" BFG MT's, 8,000lb. winch, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, IAB
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Coxterra
Addict

2002 Xterra
Coxterra is on a distinguished road
I needed them. Two came out and two were seized. I wouldn't wait to start pulling it apart to find out either. Get the bolts and sawzaw the old ones off

Cameron
02 SE/SC 5spd/ 2" AC BL /3" AC SL /Calmini HD Steering/ 33" Duratracs on Cragar Soft 8s / Volant CAI / Rancho 9000XLs/ Concept Customs rear tire carrier bumper/Shrockworks front bumper

To come: exhaust, lights, sliders.

Build Thread
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Here in the nice rust free south where my truck has spent 95% of it's life 3 were very stubborn to come out and one was frozen in place and had to be removed with a sawzall. For a truck in the NE I would just order a set but some of the NE members would have a more informed opinion.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#7 Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
echo_nine
Phreak

2003 Xterra
echo_nine will become famous soon enough
wow ok lol well for $65 i guess i really dont feel like beating myself over the head for hours trying to fight the rusted cam bolts lol

2003 Solar Yellow/ Desert Runner Rims/ Goodyear Duratracs 33x12.50/ MSF Tube Bumper / Hella 700FF / Hybrid Steering / / AC 2in Body Lift / AC PML / Shrockworks Sliders / Bilstein Front 5100 / Rear 5125 Zinc Plated / Mighty Mounted Hi-Lift / Full Set of Skid Row Skid Plates / Hybrid 3in SL / Morimoto Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit

Build Thread http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31347
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
CISO1969
Maul Crawler

2003 Xterra
CISO1969 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_nine View Post
wow ok lol well for $65 i guess i really dont feel like beating myself over the head for hours trying to fight the rusted cam bolts lol
Mine were so bad that we went through a few sawzall blades before getting smart and stumbling upon the ones they use for demo and rescue and so forth. Demon blades? Just ask the guys at Lowe's for the ones used in demo and rescue they will get you the right ones. The blades are red.

I saved the cut up seized bolts. Had an idea to use 'em for trophies to give to the guys that helped me that day. Then it fell in my vast list of " to dos"

Yes my friend you will join a unique brotherhood when you cut those lil f'krs off

2003 Nissan Silver Ice 4 WD Fleet Vehicle
3 " Suspension lift, Calmini Steering, Bilsteins, 2 " body lift, Alcan rear leaf springs, Hefty Fabworks front bumper, Shrockworks sliders and rear bumper, Skid row skids, Volant CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, UB Skidderz, Sway Away torsion bars, BFG AT 33" tires on Desert Runner rims
2003 Xterra
#9 Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
^^^I've used those red demo blades, they work well. Just watch out for big chunks of molten metal flying around. Also the teeth are large and widely spaced so it can jump around on you.

I had to cut all mine out for my alignment post PML.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
M3C.CA
Addict

2003 Xterra
M3C.CA will become famous soon enough
Feel dumb for having to ask this but what parts exactly do we need to order to replace seized cam bolts? I just talked to my local Nissan dealer and the guys said the camber bolts are something like $5.50 each...

If you guys paid $65-70, what am I missing?

mongrel in the making
BUILD THREAD
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.