carrier bearing (hanger bearing?) - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
matt04xterra
Noob

2004 Xterra
matt04xterra is on a distinguished road
carrier bearing (hanger bearing?)

Hello All,
I'm a brand new member. I'm having problems with vibration/whistling noise. I guess it's my carrier bearing again.

I had the original part (my mechanic called it a hanger bearing) replaced Sept 2010. The car started making a whistling/clicking noise till it turned into a loud roar & vibration. Replaced part (from Nissan), noise gone.

Exactly one year later, started hearing a clicking noise only when I would back up. My mechanic check it out and said it was definitely the part they had replaced the year before. They greased it I think, noise went away, but two months later, I feel resistance around 20mpg and higher and noise/vibration.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with this part.

After doing some forum search, there are treads on the frontier forum regarding this. One member said he has replaced part four times. Another said he replaced two piece driveshaft with a custom one piece.

My mechanic said he had used a Nissan part last time, but could replace with an alternate manufacturer part that was cheaper ($200 versus under $100).

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM
BWXT
Veteran

2003 Xterra
BWXT will become famous soon enough
My X does not have a drive shaft carrier bearing, it's a one-piece slip-yoke drive shaft. Yours should be the same. The only thing on your X that should be referred to as a carrier bearing would be the carrier bearings in the differentials. I could be wrong, that's happened once or twice before, but something doesn't sound right.

Sent from my ass

'03 X, 3" AC lift, 31" BFG MT's, 8,000lb. winch, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, IAB
2003 Xterra

Tags
carrier bearing , driveshaft , hanger bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.