post #1 of 11 Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
sestates
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sestates is on a distinguished road
Activating Overdrive 2002 Xterra

I just got a 2002 Xterra and I am not sure how to activate the overdrive. When I turn the truck on, I see an indicator light that comes on and it says " OD OFF". Than when I drive the truck I try hitting the OD button on my shifter knob and nothing happens. Is there supposed to be an indicator light that comes on when I push the OD button. also, when is overdrive supposed to be used. Is this only for traveling at high speeds. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
json3904
ADMIN

2000 Xterra
json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of
welcome to the club

no you dont use over drive at high speeds..... and yes there should be a light that comes on when you press the button on the shifter.... do this for me, cruze down th road around 25-30 mph, now push the button. what dose it do?????

**New site rules and guidelines** Click Here
2000 Xterra
post #3 of 11 Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
farmaleo

farmaleo is on a distinguished road
I have the same question about to use the OD, when do I have to use it? I mean, do I have to turn off normally (when the light is on it means that it is off, correct?), when I drive in city?
thanks
post #4 of 11 Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
overdrive is best used at speeds over 30mph(but it can be left on below, wont hurt anything but you mpg a little),
you prob shouldnt use it when driving down very hilly roads,
and never ever use it when towing

there is only an indicator light when the OD is OFF

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
post #5 of 11 Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
The OD OFF lamp will test light on startup after that it remains off (the light). Default is OD ON after start up. If you drive down the road at about 45mph and push the OD button the OD OFF light should come on and you should feel the transmission downshift.
The only time I have OD OFF (light on) is when I'm towing and the load is on i.e. uphill, into the wind etc. If it is flat or downhill I have the OD ON(light off).
post #6 of 11 Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
It is also good to turn your overdrive off when you're wheeling. Especially in mud.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
json3904
ADMIN

2000 Xterra
json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricer-X
and never ever use it when towing
dustin i am going to have to call you out on this one.... you want to use the od if you are towing anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Usage

Generally speaking, overdrive (OD) is the highest gear in the transmission. Most automatic transmissions have three speeds and overdrive (fourth speed). Overdrive allows the engine to operate at a lower rpm for a given road speed. This allows the vehicle to realize better fuel efficiency, and often quieter operation on the highway. When it is switched on, the transmission can shift into overdrive mode after a certain speed is reached (usually 70+ km/h [45+ mph] depending on the load). When it is off, the transmission shifting is limited to the lower gears. For normal driving conditions, operation of the overdrive should be enabled only if the average speed is above 70 km/h (approx. 43 MPH).
It may be necessary to switch it off if the vehicle is being operated in a mountainous area.
The automatic transmission automatically shifts from OD to third gear when more load is present. When less load is present, it shifts back to OD. Under certain conditions, for example driving uphill or towing a trailer, the transmission may "hunt" between OD and the third gear, shifting back and forth. In this case, switching it off can help the transmission to 'decide'. It may also be advantageous to switch it off if engine braking is desired, for example when driving downhill. The vehicle's owner's manual will often contain information and suitable procedures regarding such situations, for each given vehicle.

**New site rules and guidelines** Click Here

Last edited by Ricer-X; 04-02-2008 at 07:12 AM.
2000 Xterra
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 AM
hardcore xterra
Veteran

2002 Xterra
hardcore xterra is on a distinguished road
i dont know if this is correct or not but i was told that all OD does is make your fuel economy better and makes your car over gear slowing the motor speed resulting in a longer lasting engine... mine is off evertime i turn my car on and clicks on when i get over 5 mph...

Yellow 2002 WCE xterra, AC shackles, rancho rsx shocks, AC IAB,31" Goodyear Wranglers, K&N drop-stock intake mod, new auto hubs, Herculined 4X4
2002 Xterra
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 AM
hardcore xterra
Veteran

2002 Xterra
hardcore xterra is on a distinguished road
overdrive should never be turn off unless car is under a very heavy load like hualing/towing somthing or goin up very very steep long hill....

Yellow 2002 WCE xterra, AC shackles, rancho rsx shocks, AC IAB,31" Goodyear Wranglers, K&N drop-stock intake mod, new auto hubs, Herculined 4X4
2002 Xterra
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by json3904
dustin i am going to have to call you out on this one.... you want to use the od if you are towing anything......
oops, i hit edit in stead of quote, thats why it says i edited yo post json, but anyway

nay sir
read what you just posted again, you dont use overdrive when towing, its a weak gear, not meant for any load but the vehicles weight on level ground
if you arent supposed to use it on hills why the hell would you use it when towing a bunch of weight?
what you posted merely confirms what i said

using OD when towing not only will kill your gas mileage, and it will shorten the life of your tranny drastically bc the tranny will be constantly shifting in and out of overdrive.... just like it says in your post

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.