P0328/P0325 code. Knock sensor information. - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 10-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Xterra Mike
Silver Submarine

2001 SE Xterra
Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough Xterra Mike is a jewel in the rough
Garage
P0328/P0325 code. Knock sensor information.

I'm gonna make this a sticky cause its just talked about so much and recently there has been new information on this topic. If you are getting a PO328/P0325 code on your truck it is the knock sensor and it probably has gone bad but there are other possible reasons for getting the code. You might have gotten a bad tank of gas or your ignition system isn't working as good as it should. I would recommend you fill your tank with hi octane gas or gas treatment, run through that tank and check for the KS code again after you have cleared it and do other repairs before attempting the knock sensor replacement or by pass. Make sure your ignition system is working as it should. If after you have do all that and you are still getting the KS code your KS or harness might be bad. Its your choice to to do the replacement or by pass. We are trying to give you all the information we can to help you in your decision. There is not one good answer for your decision. Some decide to do the replacement. Some decide to do the by pass and some decide to leave it alone. Again the choice is yours!

It seems as though when your knock sensor goes bad the ECM will retard the timing to a preset position in order to prevent your motor from "knocking or pinging". This retard in timing will possibly reduce power and you will get slightly less MPG's but probably not enough to notice in the NA 3.3. In the supercharged 3.3 the ECM will put the truck in "limp" mode and you will notice a major reduction in power. This is to prevent your 3.3 from destroying itself. By doing the knock sensor by-pass you have now removed the safety from the system and will have to be diligent in what type of fuel you run and your driving habits. The knock sensor is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the ECM. Freeze frame data will not be stored in the ECM for the knock sensor. The MIL will not light for knock sensor malfunction. The knock sensor has one trip detection logic.

#1. Bad knock sensor won't set an SES light. The code was already there when the light came on.
#2. Bad knock sensor will possibly decrease fuel economy.
#3. Bad knock sensor will Possibly retard timing causing a slight reduction in performance but probably not enough to notice without monitoring live data.
#4. Knock sensor bypass should be done at your own risk especially with a SC Xterra.

The red arrow points to the location of the knock sensor:

Last edited by Xterra Mike; 10-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.
2001 SE Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Couple things to add:

1. Do not do anything if you get the code once, it could be a bad tank of gas, impurities whatever. Fill up again and half way through take it to a autoparts place and have them pull the codes again (most will for free). If it remains, do it again at another tank. Give it a few tanks before considering anything.

2. Once you are certain that its bad you have a few options:

Get it repaired
Pros: It put your engine back in to correct working order
Cons: EXPENSIVE repair, quotes have been in the $750-$1500 range

Leave it
Pros: You don't have to do anything
Cons: Your engine may not perform at its peak and you may be costing yourself some gas milage (how much varies)

Relocation mod
Pros: Moves it to a much more easily accessible spot, cost is much cheaper then replacement ($200 using OEM parts), your engine has knock protection again
Cons: Not in the factory location, not as accurate.

Bypass mod (not recommended for SC engines)
Pros: Regains timing and milage lost from bad sensor, very cheap
Cons: You now no longer have ANY knock prevention, could lead to engine damage but unlikely.
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 10-21-2011, 05:35 PM
BrushWorks
Addict

2002 Xterra
BrushWorks is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the pro/con report. I almost feel like I SHOULD do it the right way. My luck, "cheating the system" will wind up with a major fk up later on. lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

'02 XE/V6 Xterra Silver Ice
General Grabber HTS 265/70R16 (daily drivers)
Rage Safari Roof Rack with cargo net
Pioneer CD/DVD/GPS (in dash touch screen)
Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio / 4' Firestik Antenna
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushWorks View Post
Thanks for the pro/con report. I almost feel like I SHOULD do it the right way. My luck, "cheating the system" will wind up with a major fk up later on. lol
If your NA truck is throwing a KS code you're not cheating the system as it is already retarding the timing to prevent knock.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 PM
BrushWorks
Addict

2002 Xterra
Sorry, by -cheating the system- I meant would be to Reposition the KS and not Replace it where it belongs under the manifold.

2002 Xterra
#6 Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
For noobs don't not freak out..

We seem to get some new people on here that read a few lines of a topic then become that guy that has all the answers.. Make up your mind on this topic.. Please read up on this topic as much as you can and go from there
2000 Xterra
#7 Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 PM
TriciaH_88

2000 Xterra
TriciaH_88 is on a distinguished road
Question: Recently my car when it is idle shakes/vibrates it is subtle and almost seems like it is running out of gas (but it has a full tank) I've been putting STP stuff in my xterra but it doesn't seem to make a diff. Friday I got the CEL and the two codes that came up are 450 and 325. I tried to find the knock sensor but I can't find it in my car. I freak out when something is wrong with my car and I don't like the vibration thing it is doing. Help =/
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 PM
BrushWorks
Addict

2002 Xterra
The knock sensor is locate under the plenum on the top of the engine. From what I've read, it's anywhere from 6-10hr job.

2002 Xterra
#9 Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM
mattyg

2002 Xterra
mattyg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miskywhisky View Post
Couple things to add:

Bypass mod (not recommended for SC engines)
Pros: Regains timing and milage lost from bad sensor, very cheap
Cons: You now no longer have ANY knock prevention, could lead to engine damage but unlikely.
curious as to why you say NOT RECOMMENDED FOR S/C ENGINES? the person who has the DIY write-up on this site is doing it to a S/C engine and sounds like it worked just fine. i'm not saying your wrong - you may be spot on, which is why i'm asking. i have a S/C and am considering doing this mod. i paid to have the dealership replace the original and it made a HUGE difference, for sure, but i still think it's robbing the S/C at times even still, so it would be nice to just make that thing go away. and i ALWAYS use premium fuel (at least 93 octane).

2002 SE Supercharged, 4x4, 5-speed manual, leather, sunroof, intake modification w/ K&N drop-in, Bilstein HD's
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
kriskool123
Seasoned

03 Xterra
kriskool123 is on a distinguished road
x2 mattyg.. i have the 03 SC an always use premium... id like more info on the mod because i really dont wanna drop major coin on something thats gonna pop up in the next 50k miles anyways an is a bitch to get to

looking for:
1.USED front and back diff gears 4.88 or 5.13
2.USED ARB front and rear locker
03 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.