Fixed Cam Assembly 2004 Xterra - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
cdagne

2004 Xterra
cdagne is on a distinguished road
Fixed Cam Assembly 2004 Xterra

Does anybody have a diagram of a fixed cam assembly for a 2004 Xterra. When I took my hub off it came apart and I am not sure how to put it back together. This is what I have, main piece, metal spring, split white plastic washer, large metal flat washer and another large metal flat washer with rollers on it. When I look at http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/xterra/2004_Xterra/fax.pdf I don't see the large flat metal washer or the large flat metal washer with rollers listed.

Thanks.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
So the fixed cam assembly itself came apart?

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint

Last edited by RacerXXL; 10-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
cdagne

2004 Xterra
Yes, there is a large metal piece which is the cam assembly itself but I am not sure of the order of the two flat washers, one flat washer with the roller and how it fits together with the split white plastic and the metal spring.
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
There are no published diagrams that I am aware of as Nissan does not offer them as a separate assembly. They are only available with the hub.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 10-10-2011, 07:40 AM
mfkcbk

2002 Xterra
mfkcbk is on a distinguished road
I replaced a rotor last week and the cam assembly came out in one piece. However when I put it back on, I couldn't get the snap ring in the groove after I put the spindle washer on. I ended up putting the snap ring in the groove then put the spindle washer on. So I know its not in the right order. I ended up taking it to a shop and they couldn't do it either. Since I only driving in 2wd mode, I figured it will be ok...hopefully.

I'm wondering now if the cam assembly separated or widened somehow when I took it off. That sounds right now that I hear your problem. When I looked at the cam assembly, I didn't really pay any attention to what was inside, or the order of the washers in it, but I guess if you remove the spring it must come apart.?.

If no one else answers your question, I'll take it back apart and take the cam assembly apart to see if I can address both our problems.

By the way, have you tried taking your other wheel apart to look at that cam assembly?
Once you take the snap ring off, the cam assembly should slide right out in one piece for you to look at it. I don't know if you can see the washers or the order they are in by looking inside, without taking it apart, but that might be the easiest way for you to get your separated one back together.

I'll be very interested in hearing the replies to this thread.

Good luck.

Mike
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 PM
cdagne

2004 Xterra
Thanks for getting back to me, this website is Awesome! I ended up taking it to a shop and the guy pulled the other one apart like you suggested. He saw the order of the two flat washer and put it back together for me. I wish I would of taken a picture encase anybody else has this issue. I have been seeing on forums that when you take it to a mechanic the first thing they say is that it is broken and you need a new one, but the problem is that it is a white plastic spit ring by design, it just needs to be put back together(Which is a Pain). I am still having brake issues so I will probably have to take it apart this weekend and see what is going on. I may have a bad rotor or and ABS issue. it feels like ABS is going off at about 5mph when I am hitting the brake or most turning right and hitting the brakes. The ABS light went on this morning and I turned the X off and back on again and the light went away.
The mechanic had a hard time putting it back together and couldn't get the snap ring to fit back on, I believe it was because the bearing were not fully seated. Once he reseated the outside bearing it went back on with snap ring no problem. The hub did not seat properly and he just screwed it into place. I tried to tell him that it is supposed to fit flush before tightening the screws but he didn't want to listen. So before I but it into 4x4 I am going to make sure it seats properly.
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Ill be taking mine apart before winter.. I have the clicking of the hubs dis-engaging every time we changing direction (forward to reverse or vice versa)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 AM
cdagne

2004 Xterra

This is a picture of the Fixed Cam Assembly, you can see the order encase anybody else has the problem of it coming apart. I am not 100% sure if this is the correct order, but it makes the most sense to me. I have had 4 different mechanics tell me it was broken because they didn't know how to put it back together mainly because they did not know that by design there is a split white plastic washer that holds the metal spring in place to the main piece. If it comes apart again, which it probably will, I will take a picture of the individual pieces, it is just a pain to put in back together so I didn't this time.

I took it apart because I am having issues with my brakes. When I had them done the last time, I noticed that the left wheel was really hot almost smelt like it was burning. so I took it apart and re-greased everything and put it back together. When I did I noticed at slow speeds it shutters the brake pedal especially when I turn right at slow speeds, it almost feels like abs is going off. I took it apart again and had the rotor resurfaced hoping that would help, it didn't. I read that even if you have the rotor resurfaced it can still be warped, so I bought new EBC rotors and 7000 Greenstuff pads, new inner and outer bearings hoping this would do the trick. I noticed that the new bearing did not seat properly, I believe the shaft/axle may be warped because of the extreme heat. I was finally able to get the bearing back on it took awhile because I had to tap them into place. Put everything back together hoping I was finally done and nope, still have the same issue. I believe it can be two things, or if you guys have any thought please let me know, I am really struggling with figuring this out. I noticed that the drag on one caliper is much stronger on this wheel than the other side so I either need to rebuild the caliper or buy a new shaft/axel. Please help!

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...amAssembly.jpg

It is possible to have a moderator change the post to Fixed Cam Assembly/Brake Problem?

Last edited by cdagne; 10-15-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Change Heading
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
mfkcbk

2002 Xterra
mfkcbk is on a distinguished road
I know that shuttering brakes mean a probable warped rotor, and you replaced that.
However, if you didn't have that shuttering before you replaced the brakes, and if was just a hot burning smell, then maybe the caliper is sticking.
I wonder if you took the brake pads out, pumped the brakes until the caliper pistons were fully extended, then greased the outside of the pistons to help make them slide in and out better. I don't know that much about calipers and that might be a real no no. But it kind of makes sense, and would be a relatively easy fix to try.
Let me know what you end up doing.
Good luck! Hope its not the shaft/axle.

By the way, your fixed cam picture didn't go through.

Mike
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
cdagne

2004 Xterra
Thanks Mike, I think I fixed the picture link, I used the forum link to add the picture but I may not have permission yet to post pics. I took it to AAMCO in Whittier and explained to him all the steps that I have taken to try and fix the problem and Bill (the Mechanic/Owner) was very sympathetic to my frustration. He took me for a test drive and showed me the scanner/diagnostic computer while doing the braking tests. He showed me that it was a sensor that was triggering the ABS to go off when it shouldn't and not my limited mechanical ability/work that was the problem. I assumed it was the wheel that I was working on, but it turned out that it was the opposite wheel/ the one that I had professional done less than a month ago that was extremely dirty and triggering the ABS Sensor to go off and engage the brakes. He cleaned up the sensor that was clogged with all kinds of junk and sprayed some cleaner on the ABS. He then took me for another test drive and whoa-la all is fixed!!! The best part about this was when it was time for me to pay the bill, it was $0.00 So not only did he fix my problem that was driving me nuts, he spent about an hour with me explaining what was going on and answering every question I was asking him and then not even charge me. If I ever have an issue again, Bill will be the first person I will go to and has a customer for life.
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.