How should I carry 2 kayaks on an 01? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Cues

Cues is on a distinguished road
How should I carry 2 kayaks on an 01?

I've been looking and the options I see are very expensive. What is the most cost effect way for me to safely transport 2 kayaks on my roof rack?

I've seen a couple people that just say pads others say a rack system. I'd really appreciate some help! I am looking for purchase a pair of kayaks this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
JasonJones

2004 Xterra
JasonJones is on a distinguished road
guess it depends on how often you plan to carry them, how far, and what size/type.

For the occasional trip, not too far, yeah, pads a and strap them up there good and tight. If you plan on taking them with you often or for long trips invest in a quality carrier that will hold them securely without having to worry about them sliping around on pads.

Keep in mind the people travelling behind you, if a kayak comes off at freeway speeds you could cause quite a bit of mayhem behind you, and you would be liable for all of it.
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Cues

what kayak rack fits on the stock crossbars? Will the thule j racks fit? Anyone know?
#4 Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Silver Dude
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Silver Dude will become famous soon enough Silver Dude will become famous soon enough
I use the Yakima Hullraiser aero's been good to me so far. Pretty. Bad picture as I only have one rack installed. But I do have two and mount them side by side.

2001 Xterra
#5 Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Cues

Thanks for the info - So it does fit on the stop crossbars?
#6 Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Silver Dude
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Silver Dude will become famous soon enough Silver Dude will become famous soon enough
Yeah they fit the stock rack right from the box. Universal by design. Make sure you get the hullraiser aero and not just the plain hullraiser. The aero contains the universal mounts. When I get home I'll snap you a few pictures so you can see how they work.
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Silver Dude
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Well did some digging here is another that shows how they work. Just clamps around the roof rails.

Kinda nice that they are so universal. They will fit pretty much anything with rails. Its nice the J racks hold them high. The rear hatch opens fully and around town you don't even notice them up there. If your short you might have to bring a step stool as I'm 6.3 and its right at the limit of reach for me I am lifted though. Comes with all the straps and stuff you need. I don't use the bow and stern straps just the ones on the racks. I took them offroad up steep hills and battered them with trees its really solid.

If you don't want to go the j rack route you could go with hully rollers. Pretty much the kit contains wheels which mount to the rear cross rail. A rubber hull block attaches to the front rail. This allows you to push your kayak on to the roof from the back which is easier then lifting the kayak over the truck. Not positive you could fit two side by side though. I know it would work if you did one j rack and one roller.
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Cues

Thanks for all the info! I ended up getting hull-a-port pros on craigslist for a really good price. All they needed were longer carriage bolts and they worked out great!
#9 Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Cues

Got them mounted. Stock bolts didn't work so I got longer carriage bolts.. worked like a charm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.