Dan K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dan K is on a distinguished road
Driver's door window switch

Hey all -

Long time Xterra owner - I've had a 2000 SE since Dec. 1999

It's age is starting to show, and I'm finding myself doing a bit more than routine maintenance...

Most recently, the window switch in the driver's door went out - while it opens both front windows, closing the passenger front will never happen and closing the driver's window is a crap shoot.

Anyone have experience replacing this switch / module?

I bought a replacement switch and am looking for some assistance - I am going to start pulling off the arm rest / door panel to get to that switch, but have no manual.

Someone posted a door trim removal pic but it's not clear to me what portions apply. I think I can get away with taking off just the armrest, but any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Fog lights are next. [fuse blew, I replaced it and it blew again - I took a better look at the fog lights more recently, and I think I see rust on the inside...)

Anyway, if anyone has done this repair, I could use any advice you got.

Thanks

- Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
bweaver

bweaver is on a distinguished road
I don't know much about the window switch (I had the dealer replace mine, TWICE) but the fog light was easy. The only trouble I had seperating the wiring harness. I posted a few pics of where I had issues. Let me know if you have any questions on the lights.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
pvfjr
Veteran

pvfjr will become famous soon enough
Well the driver's switch is much more than just a switch. There's actually a board in there, with a few components, and there's plenty that can go wrong. All you need to take off is the arm rest pad, and the panel that the switch is mounted in and has the door handle molded in. Pry upwards on the back portion of the arm rest pad, where your elbow rests. Once the clip pops loose, it will slide backwards and come off. Then remove the screw down in the bottom of the recess where you put your hand to pull the door closed. Once you remove that screw, you will be able to pull up on the backside of that panel and it will unclip from the door. Then unplug the big plug from the underside of the master switch. Then pull out the four screws in the underside of the switch. You're done.

Oh yeah, and any way I can go about getting your old one from you? I may need it for parts or something...

--Paul

2000 Silver 4x4 XE Xterra - SOLD!
93 Pathfinder - The next wheeler...
78 Stepside - The wheeler
84 Crew Cab - The big noisy tow rig
78 K30 - Just an extra, back up for sale

Last edited by json3904; 03-17-2008 at 10:21 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Dan K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfjr
Well the driver's switch is much more than just a switch. There's actually a board in there, with a few components, and there's plenty that can go wrong. All you need to take off is the arm rest pad, and the panel that the switch is mounted in and has the door handle molded in. Pry upwards on the back portion of the arm rest pad, where your elbow rests. Once the clip pops loose, it will slide backwards and come off. Then remove the screw down in the bottom of the recess where you put your hand to pull the door closed. Once you remove that screw, you will be able to pull up on the backside of that panel and it will unclip from the door. Then unplug the big plug from the underside of the master switch. Then pull out the four screws in the underside of the switch. You're done.
Thanks much. I am going to try to fix the old one and keep it as a spare, but if it's trashed beyond my needs, I'll let you know.

- Dan
post #5 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 AM
pvfjr
Veteran

Sounds good. Good luck, I hope it was your switch, since you've ordered it already.

--Paul

post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
k1w1t1m
Kiwi Bloke

k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them k1w1t1m has a spectacular aura about them
The master switch is quite a common repair on these vehicles. I had to replace mine when I had my '00.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Dan K

Done!

OK! Fixed!!

Repair done, rates very easy as far as repairs go. Don't give me a hard time about this, but I pulled the arm rest and screw (where you grab the door to close) while getting gas this morning and did the rest of the repair while stuck in rush hour traffic om the way to downtown Chicago this morning. Getting the wire harness / plug out of the old switch was the most difficult part (you need to press in on the release in the bottom of the plug and pull out from the sides....) Total of 4 screws on the switch, one on the arm rest, a couple steel clips and a plug. So glad I didn't need to pull the door panel.

Anyway, new one works great - no more opening doors to pay tolls, enter parking lot etc.

Got the part for $82 rather than the $120+ the dealer wanted, and the labor was not only free, it was while I would have been on the road anyway! With my suit and tie on! Gotta love it.

PVFJR - you can have the old one. I believe it is trashed (at least front two window switches). PM me your address and I'll get it out to you eventually.

- Dan
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM
pvfjr
Veteran

Hah, love the time management you pulled there. Probably kept your mind off the traffic too, win-win! Maybe I should start keeping some project to tinker with for when I get stuck in traffic. Anyway, glad you got it fixed so easily, must be nice to have everything working again. I still gotta get the gremlins outta mine that keep locking it all the time. I mainly want to experiment with a different master and see if this spontaneous locking thing goes away. Even if the other switch is trashed, so long as it doesn't have THIS issue, it'll be a big troubleshooting help. I'll send you a PM, hope you've got Paypal...

--Paul

post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Dan K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfjr
Hah, love the time management you pulled there. Probably kept your mind off the traffic too, win-win! Maybe I should start keeping some project to tinker with for when I get stuck in traffic. Anyway, glad you got it fixed so easily, must be nice to have everything working again. I still gotta get the gremlins outta mine that keep locking it all the time. I mainly want to experiment with a different master and see if this spontaneous locking thing goes away. Even if the other switch is trashed, so long as it doesn't have THIS issue, it'll be a big troubleshooting help. I'll send you a PM, hope you've got Paypal...

Only problem with old switch is it won't close passenger front and will sometimes close driver's window, but you have to push HARD.

Rear is fine, I believe window lock is fine. Hope it helps.

- Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.