timing belt replacement - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 08-13-2011, 12:56 PM
johnd

2000 Xterra
johnd is on a distinguished road
timing belt replacement

Hello all,
I just joined the site as it seems like you have a lot a good contributors. Great job here! I have looked around and in the DIY section as well, but hoping I can get a bit of guidance.
I have a 2000 v6 Xterra and a couple days ago it appears the water pump went out. Antifreeze everywhere and the car overheated like a champ! Given where the water pump is by the time I get to it to check I might as well replace half the parts on the front end!! lol
I have everything taken out to the main pulley on the bottom, 27 mm and want to make sure I get the rest right.

Here are my question if anyone can help out (thanks!):
1- I had to disconnect the trans cooler hoses from the rad. do I have to do anything special when putting this back?
2- The timing belt looks in good shape, but it appears that to replace the water pump I have to remove the lower pulley and upper pulley to get the bracket off to get to it? Is this correct?
3- If I am right about #2 then my biggest concern is making sure I get the pulley's and timing belt back on in the right way. Can someone give me the tips and tricks to doing this? The manual goes into a bunch of TDC alignment crap, but it would seem you could mark all this stuff ahead of time to avoid that.
4- Also if I have to take all this stuff off I plan to buy the timing belt kit, but am a little unsure about some of the pieces in it. like the spring and seals(crankshafts? I assume it will make more since once I pull the top pulleys off?)

Thanks guys!! I love my X !! it has 165000 miles on it and has never given my hardly any trouble, I doubt I will ever be able to part with it!!
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM
slownis

2000 Xterra
slownis is on a distinguished road
You do need to do the entire thing, including timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals, and the water bypass hose. These are all very important to do at once, or inevitably you'll be tearing it down again later. I changed both cam seals during my last timing belt job, but neglected to do the crank seal. Guess whats leaking now?

There is more than one timing belt thread in the how-to section. You want to find them and follow them. Take it step by step and you'll do fine.
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
johnd

2000 Xterra
Thanks for the replay. I have looked but do not see my specific concerns. I do plan to replace as much as I can but before I remove the pulleys I want to feel comfortable about how to get it back together.
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM
phrog man
Chrome can go to hell

2004 Xterra
phrog man will become famous soon enough
here is the link to the thread you need.

q#1- no just re-insert them and check fluid lvl when done
#2- the belt along with the other components in the thread i provided MUST be replaced
#3- again the thread gives good info, and this
#4- yes it will all come together with all the reading i gave you and once you tear into it.

2004 BLACK X-AUTO
Build Thread
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
johnd

2000 Xterra
Thanks for the help!! Can anyone tell me where you normally hook up the puller to the crank pulley? I am a bit concerned about damaging the pulley.

The above listed thread shows this puller being used:
Large Size 3 jaw puller for crankshaft pulley - I used Autozone P/N 27078

Thanks!
John
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Do *not* use a 3 jaw puller. Use a harmonic balancer puller of some sort (the one that is a straight bar with two slots on either side for bolts to go in or the "bird foot" looking one also with holes for bolts). The crank pulley has two threaded holes the bolts will thread into. They are 6mm bolt holes iirc, but my puller set didn't have any that small so I rethreaded them to a 1/4" iirc so I could use the bolts I had

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 PM
yellowbug
Phreak

01 Xterra
yellowbug will become famous soon enough yellowbug will become famous soon enough
I used a three jaw puller. The exact one from auto zone you listed. Once you get the bolt loose take it out and take the washer off, then put the bolt back in snug not tight this is what the puller will push off of. Position the claws or jaws of the puller around the first part of the puller. Use a socket to turn the puller bolt as the puller tightens it will pull the pulley right off of the crank shaft. If you have any questions pm me your number and I'll call you.
01 Xterra
#8 Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Ill repeat.. its not a wise idea

Take a poll of clubxterra folks who have broken the crank pulley using a 3 jaw puller vs those who have broken it using a harmonic balancer type puller

2001 Xterra
#9 Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 PM
yellowbug
Phreak

01 Xterra
yellowbug will become famous soon enough yellowbug will become famous soon enough
In my pulley I didn't have any where to thread in a harmonic balancer puller. I tried it first. With the puller from auto zone it slid right off. No binding. Nothing. I pulled my pulley off three times with that puller.
01 Xterra
#10 Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
The OEM pulley has the holes, but they can be a bitch to find being so small and dirt can cover them up

2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.