Testing A/C Compressor - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
ROCK4185
Noob

2002 Xterra
ROCK4185 is on a distinguished road
Testing A/C Compressor

Yes, another A/C question... For the last year or two my A/C has not worked on my 2002. Since I only drive it once in awhile I kept pushing it off, but it is finally time to fix it.

Initially I thought it was an electrical problem, but it turned out my multimeter was bad. I discovered this afternoon that the high pressure hose has a gash in it and it appears it somehow hit the flywheel on the front of the compressor and sliced it open. See attached pics.

I got voltage at both fuses in the panel under the hood and at the dryer. How do I confirm the compressor is still good and didn't get toasted when the high pressure line blew? I'm assuming the low pressure switch on the dryer turned the compressor off before this happened, but I want to confirm before I order a new hose and dryer. I also put a guage on the low pressure port and it was at zero (not suprising).

If the compressor is still good, I replace the high pressure line and dryer, run an A/C vac then recharge the system right?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	779.4 KB
ID:	6816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	6817  
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Open your hood, start your truck. Turn on the AC on high and put it on defrost. Watch for compressor clutch to kick in.

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#3 Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM
ROCK4185
Noob

2002 Xterra
I tried that and the compressor did not kick on, but I don't see how that is any different then turning the A/C on high. Since there is a low pressure switch, wouldn't that keep the compressor from turning on if all the freon escaped? I guess I'm just trying to figure out a way to confirm that the compressor works before I order the high pressure hose and dryer... Any ideas?
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 07-15-2011, 05:50 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
No, it should turn on. You can always put an amp clamp around the trigger wire.

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#5 Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
bryanmc57

2000 Xterra
bryanmc57 is on a distinguished road
You can always jumper the connector on the low pressure switch to test the comp. I'm pretty sure James is right about defrost though. There's an AC switch that closes when you go to defrost, but with out getting out the schematics, I'm not certain it will bypass the low pressure switch.
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM
hunt1091
Veteran

2003 Xterra
hunt1091 is on a distinguished road
Jump the switch on the drier if u don' have freon in its the only thing that will engage the clutch

3 inch A/C/Calamini lift, 32 inch dakota A/Ts

coming up soon 2 inch body, 33X12.5X15 M/Ts, fully custom after market bumpers and sliders, steering upgrades..........much more to come!

03 Xterra SE 4x4
2003 Xterra
#7 Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
RawkerStatus
Phreak

2004 Xterra
RawkerStatus is on a distinguished road
so if you jump the low pressure switch connector the compressor should engage? did that today and it was a nogo. i cant do the defrost setting due to the fact that i have disengaged the micro switch behind the knob.

Conveniently off the 10 and 210 in San Dimas... no not really
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
ROCK4185
Noob

2002 Xterra
Bring this one back from the dead... I didn't get around to fixing the A/C last year, but I need to get it running ASAP...

I spent some time last night reading thru the repair manual and attempting to troubleshoot the system. Here is what I found:

- I could not get the clutch to engage when I jumped the wiring running to the dryer.
- I ran a wire from the battery to the compressor and the clutch engages.
- I checked the A/C fuses under the hood and they are in good shape. I also used a multimeter to confirm both fuses are getting power.
- The power lead running to the compressor is not getting any power.

Any idea where to power lead running to the compressor originates? I tried to track it down, but it joins a large bundle of wires and goes thru the center of the firewall.

Any other things I should check?
2002 Xterra
#9 Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
RawkerStatus
Phreak

2004 Xterra
RawkerStatus is on a distinguished road
Check to see that there is refrigerant in it.if there is none it won't turn on

Transmitting from the Death Star

Conveniently off the 10 and 210 in San Dimas... no not really
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
ROCK4185
Noob

2002 Xterra
I know the system is empty because I have not replaced the high pressure hose yet.

If I jump the dryer and still not getting power to the compressor lead, any idea what I should check next?

What about if I'm not getting power to the dryer?

I looked at the wiring diagram, but could not make sense of it.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.