Stupid mods and repairs - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Stupid mods and repairs

Before arriving at the forums, I made quite a few stupid purchases and paid for some retarted repairs. Let's hear your story. Here's mine:

First-K @ N FIPK- did this 2 days after I got the X. Why was it stupid, because I was just going off of the brand and not going with the concept. I just got a K @ N HAI(hot air intake)

$70 oil change-Paid Speedee this price duromg the winter on top of paying $30+ for oil and $12 for the filter

Tornado- I bought 2 of these to "increase the power"

Throttle body spacer-yeah.....I got one...(had one)

entire Gibson exhaust system. Basically I bought the entire system and all that I should have got was a muffler- then I spent $120 for them to weld it on. Now I have a chrome tip that needs some rock rash

AC Body lift-spent the $200 and used hardly any of it

Calmini SL- besides not buying their shocks. this was a stupid purchase. I bought the entire thing, not knowing that a 3" SL could just be accomplished with UCA's, shackles. and an AAL, and I would have done without the sway extensions and the bumpstop extensions

As far as repairs go-I had a shop fix a wheel bearing using 2 screwdrivers for $40.

I paid $50 for an alignment which brought me way down after the SL and then I lifted it back up again

I paid the Stealership $60 to find out what an engine code was when I could have taken it to your local auto store. Nissan wanted $375 to replace a Throttle body position sensor. I googled it and found it for $13 in Canada + $37 shipping. Then I paid a mechanic $50 to install it because "it had to go in at a certain angle". When I got the truck back, The guy just butt connected 2 wires together and that was it. Didn't even need the part. Ever since then, I just get sick everytime I talk to a Nissan tech at my local dealer. Allen (cyclemut) is the only tech I trust now.

So let's hear your wasted money stories.....

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 AM
json3904
ADMIN

2000 Xterra
json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of json3904 has much to be proud of
the one that gets me is when i paid $300 to get the t-bars indexed!!!!! i should of chopped him in the throat..... i had to pay them $70 for them to tell me i needed a new abs controller which they wanted $1500 to replace.....

sticky sticky i said now it is a sticky... LOL

**New site rules and guidelines** Click Here
2000 Xterra
post #3 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
massive vacuum leak in my weapon-R "short ram intake"
was running super lean for about 4 months, then a cat failed
nissan charged me $700 to replace all the stock parts to the intake(since i had accidentally run over all my stock shiz in the garage)
and replace the cat and do my inspection(2months over due) which they didnt even do
what they did do was break my fan shroud so it sat on the power steering line under it and caused all my PS fluid to drain in my driveway
then preceded to tell me they didnt do it and i had to pay fo rthe repairs and the tow
at which point i hung up the phone, drove up to the dealer got in the service reps face and said "tell me to my face your boys in the shop didnt break it while replacing the intake, and keep in mind that there was not a speck of ps fliud leaking out of my truck til i got it home from yall and my ps resevoir is now empty"

i paid for nothing, lol
that was the last time i had anything done at the stealership

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
post #4 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Fortunately for me, buying my X and joining forums went hand in hand so I have been able to avoid a lot of this. BUT... I have come very close to pulling the trigger on some stupid purchases and things like that but then found on the forums where things I thought were awesome or great... really weren't all they were hyped up to be (t.b. spacer for one thing).

And as for mods... well actually I didn't have any mods planned when I bought my X. I was happy with it the way it was bonestock. Then all you guys stepped in and now it's well on it's way to looking like something I stole from the set of "Mad Max"! (At least that's how my buddy put it) My friends say if it doesn't look that way by year's end, they are going to be really disappointed in me. hahahaha

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
post #5 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
TrailRider
Noob

TrailRider is on a distinguished road
I have a AirAid throttle body spacer. Is it a bad mod?? I put that on when I installed my volant intake. Will I see any difference if i take it off??
post #6 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
no
all it does is make a lil extra noise
so if you like the noise, leave it, it isnt hurting anything, its just a waste of money

and Welcome to clubX!!

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
post #7 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM
TrailRider
Noob

Thanks for the welcome.. I have a 2000 X which i've had for over a year. I can't figure out why i have a shitty idle. When I installed my Throttle Body spacer and intake i have a shitty(low) idle and if i let it idle for 5 minutes it kicks a knock sensor code and multi misfire code. Any suggestions?
post #8 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
did you put everything on yourself?
how many miles does it have?

2004 Xterra
post #9 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
TrailRider
Noob

yes, i installed myself. lol 108k
post #10 of 97 Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
and it started after the intall?
if thats the case, id take it out and replace the stock stuff and see if it changes

2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.