A tip for faded plastic vs painting - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Calabash
Noob

2000 Xterra
Calabash is on a distinguished road
A tip for faded plastic vs painting

Hello.....

I found a little tip that I thought I would share w/my fellow X'ers.

If you use a heat gun on your plastic pieces it will burn the oxidation off and bring the black out in it again...I did this with my wifes Jeep Wrangler fender flares and they went from nasty faded gray to black again!
Now, I will tell you this some of the worst was hard to get to look good again and this is by no means *perfect* It does however make the plastic look much better....watch this youtube vid.

2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

I believe it would not burn off oxidation, but would instead simply cause the pigmented plasticizers to migrate to the surface of the plastic...restoring the color.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#3 Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
OMG thats amazing... Sarcasm works every time

No really This has been covered 20 times.. In the past.. To me painting just looks better..
This seems like a very lazy way of doing it.. Id say you would see lines from the heat gun...

BUT! What works for you is the best option.. Thanks for sharing
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Kenny-g
Veteran

Kenny-g is on a distinguished road
I guess if your parents or friend has a heat gun and you had a free afternoon this could be an easy and free way of doing it but it doesn't stay that "black" for very long anyways...

'13 Wrangler Sport "Lee-Roy2.0"
'12 Patriot FDII 4x4 "Lee-Roy" <-- Traded In
Lone Star MK's Member

Mod's coming this year; A life changing mod ... proposed to the now fiancée / Havent figured out my plans for the Wrangler yet...
"Raptor [Grille] LEDs" Mod / Lee-Roy's Progress & Adventure Thread
Quote:
Dings, dents, and scratches? Oh you mean free tattoos for my Jeep!
#5 Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Xterraforce
Addict

2004 Xterra
Xterraforce will become famous soon enough Xterraforce will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the video link. I've read that a lot of people have done this but actually seeing it done before I try it myself was very helpful.
2004 Xterra
#6 Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Generally, when you use a technique that migrates the plasticizers to the surface, the plastic becomes more brittle, as the plasticizers are what provide most of the flexibility.

The surface plasticizers then fade in the sunlight and from ozone, etc, and the plastic fades again...hence the reference to it not lasting very long.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#7 Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Xterraforce
Addict

2004 Xterra
Xterraforce will become famous soon enough Xterraforce will become famous soon enough
Good point TJ. I didn't think about that. Maybe I'll just keep spraying what I've been using on them until I can afford some real bumpers.
2004 Xterra
#8 Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Calabash
Noob

2000 Xterra
Calabash is on a distinguished road
thanks TJ I will keep that in mind, I should have my X out of the shop soon after my wreck, getting a new ARB bumper and everything on the front plastic(s) will be new and the back stuff will be looking old, I may just order new stuff so it wont be so mismatched.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough
I did the heat gun thing once. It lasted less than six months. I prefer to use Black Wow once a year now.

--Jason

My 2008 Super Black SE "The Elephant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
The ass of my ride will swap ends faster than the OP will fail an English class.
2008 Xterra
#10 Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Heavus
Phreak

2000 Xterra
Heavus will become famous soon enough
painting is better/easier/more bad assier.

2000 X
Rancho lift-Blacked out-Maxxis Bighorn's-Flowmaster Super 44 OR-Airaid CAI-8k HID's-LED tails-Tail light guards-PIAA's-RF Speakers-Kicker Subs- and lots of memories
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.