Cigarette Lighter Not Working - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
butchf1
Noob

2008 Xterra
butchf1 is on a distinguished road
Cigarette Lighter Not Working

I recently tried installing a Garmin 765T GPS into my Xterra. I purchased the GPS Navigation housing from Nissan. I installed the unit and housing and I split into the power source from the cigarette lighter. After installing the splitter the cigarette lighter no longer works and I am not getting any power to my GPS. I checked the fuse in the glove box and it was good. Is there a second fuse or another fuse that is associated with the cigarette lighter? Is the second fuse in the Fuse and fusible link box or the Fuse and relay box. I am pretty sure since there is power generated to the cigarette lighter all the time there probably is no switch and draws power directly from the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_nissan_xterra_08.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	6454  

Last edited by butchf1; 04-19-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Mis
2008 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Check the fuse box under the hood. I'm not 100% sure which fuse it may be as I don't have a 2nd Gen.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App
2001 Xterra
#3 Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
bowlerx
Veteran

2002 Xterra
bowlerx is on a distinguished road
should be dash lights/ brake lights/ cig lighter. all 3 should be in one fuse. atleast, they are in every other car i have ever owned.

'02 se/sc super black / oem window visors/ carbon fiber dash kit(real) / k&n drop in / tow pkg / PML / 31" GY Geolander's / steel wheels / rancho RS5000's
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough
The power for the GPS is supposed to be tapped into the switched power lead for the radio head unit.

The cigarette lighter is a separate circuit from dash/tail lights. The dash plug and the power plug in the cargo area are on one non-switched circuit that is fused under the hood. The power plug in the console is switched and is fused in the dashboard fuse block.

The correct fuse is circled in red:

--Jason

My 2008 Super Black SE "The Elephant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
The ass of my ride will swap ends faster than the OP will fail an English class.

Last edited by J Everett; 04-19-2011 at 06:42 PM.
2008 Xterra
#5 Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Donore
Seasoned

2011 Xterra
Donore is on a distinguished road
A couple of things you can check:
Make sure the correct gauge of wire was used.
Check the wire connections to ensure polarity was respected, and connections are tight. If you didn't crimp, make sure that one of the wires didn't come out of the wire nut when you buttoned it back up.

Paved Roads: A perfect example of wasteful government spending.
2011 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.