Strange noise and vibration from drive train. - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Noxious007
Addict

2002 Xterra
Noxious007 will become famous soon enough
Strange noise and vibration from drive train.

A couple of days ago I started hearing a faint metal on metal swishing sound coming from the drive train and getting a vibration or grumble when decelerating with my foot OFF the brakes.

I thought it might be a brake rubbing, but after getting the X up on stands and putting it in neutral and spinning the back wheels I hear what sounds like metal on metal rubbing or bad bearing from around the t-case area or just in front of it.

I also have a vibration in the entire drive line while decelerating. Almost like something is not allowing the vehicle to coast properly. It shifts just fine at the proper time with the proper transition between gears. Also when accelerating it is causing drag on the motor as I have to give it more gas to get up to speed.

I've checked the fluid and it looks good (level & color). The transmission cooler I installed is heating up like it should when the vehicle is warm. I had the transmission serviced a few thousand miles ago at the dealership. I have a PML and 2" BL and 33's.

It also seems like it gets worse once the vehicle warms up, once the drive shaft has been moving and the noise becomes more noticeable.

I have it at a reputable transmission shop now and I'm waiting to hear back, but if there are others who have had the same problem and know where to point the finger it would be great to hear.

Thanks...

Ian
2002 XTERRA SE 4X4
Under The Hood - K&N Filter, Resonator Delete, Low Pro Snorkel, Quest Alternator, B&M Trans Cooler, E-Fan
Interior - LOBO Rack, Raingler Net, Xterra Seat Covers, Inclinometer, DIY Homelink, TouchScanXL
Exterior - 2" BL, PML, IAB, Bandit4X4 IA bushings, Bilsteins, Delete Rear Swaybar, Rear Dif Breather Extension, Limited Slip Dif, BFG TA KO 33x10.5r15 , Flowmaster 40 series SI/SO, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Rock Sliders
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
BWXT
Veteran

2003 Xterra
BWXT will become famous soon enough
have you checked all of the u-joints?

Sent from my ass

'03 X, 3" AC lift, 31" BFG MT's, 8,000lb. winch, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, IAB
2003 Xterra
#3 Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Noxious007
Addict

2002 Xterra
I haven't taken them out and inspected them. What is the best way to check them while they are still on the X?

Ian
2002 XTERRA SE 4X4
Under The Hood - K&N Filter, Resonator Delete, Low Pro Snorkel, Quest Alternator, B&M Trans Cooler, E-Fan
Interior - LOBO Rack, Raingler Net, Xterra Seat Covers, Inclinometer, DIY Homelink, TouchScanXL
Exterior - 2" BL, PML, IAB, Bandit4X4 IA bushings, Bilsteins, Delete Rear Swaybar, Rear Dif Breather Extension, Limited Slip Dif, BFG TA KO 33x10.5r15 , Flowmaster 40 series SI/SO, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Rock Sliders
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
BWXT
Veteran

2003 Xterra
BWXT will become famous soon enough
Put the truck in neutral and twist the drive shafts back and forth. You should be able to tell if there is any slack in them.

Sent from my ass

'03 X, 3" AC lift, 31" BFG MT's, 8,000lb. winch, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, IAB
2003 Xterra
#5 Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Noxious007
Addict

2002 Xterra
should I have any slack in the drive shaft when in neutral?

Ian
2002 XTERRA SE 4X4
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
05terrax

2005 Xterra
05terrax is on a distinguished road
you should have no slack in the driveshaft no matter what gear your in...

XTERRA....It's like the hot girlfriend who isn't good to you and has all sorts of nervous
breakdowns and you really should get rid of her.... but damn she's hot!!!
2005 Xterra
#7 Old 04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Noxious007
Addict

2002 Xterra
Transmission shop said they weren't able to replicate the noise or vibration, but I don't think they drove it very far or replicated the conditions correctly. They only test drove it and didn't charge me anything because they were busy.

After checking the drive shaft and having no play. I decided to check shifting to 4H and 4L.
When the vehicle is running and I'm in drive, I can shift to 4H, I put the X in neutral and try to shift down to 4low and it just grinds then I try to get back in to 4Hi and it grinds. Once the transfer case is in neutral I can't get back in to 4Hi or 4Low they both just grind. The only way to get the X back in to 4Hi is to shut the X off. With the X off I can get back to 2wd as well.

I know to push down on the shifter to switch between 4Hi and 4L and the transmission has to be in Neutral, but no amount of pushing down or jiggling and pushing would allow me to get in to 4L or 4Hi from Neutral.

Ian
2002 XTERRA SE 4X4
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
When the vehicle is running and I'm in drive, I can shift to 4H, I put the X in neutral and try to shift down to 4low and it just grinds then I try to get back in to 4Hi and it grinds. Once the transfer case is in neutral I can't get back in to 4Hi or 4Low they both just grind. The only way to get the X back in to 4Hi is to shut the X off. With the X off I can get back to 2wd as well.
Same way our 01 is. If you pull really fast/firm it *may* go into 4LO with a small grind. It's to the point where if I need 4LO or have to come back out into 4HI, I'll shut the motor off
2001 Xterra
#9 Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
granitex
Phreak

2004 Xterra
granitex has a spectacular aura about them granitex has a spectacular aura about them
Whan was the last time you changed the ATF in the transfer case?

2004 XE Shrockworks front with winch, ARB Lockers front and rear, Calmimi steering, Sliders, 3inch SL, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, bumper lights, custom roof rack, CB, Laptop mount, Sgt lobo, missing rear swaybar, Quest Alt, diff drop, Aux e-fan, Fuse block, tranny filter and cooler, axle truss and skid, Nismo cat back,Mile Marker hubs, Thorleys, 33's .
2004 Xterra
#10 Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 PM
AaronsX
Phreak

2000 Xterra
AaronsX will become famous soon enough AaronsX will become famous soon enough
Mine seems to do the same thing but it happens when I accelerate, its like a swishing sound also...im not really sure and I can feel a faint vibration in the gas pedal with it happens.

My Build: Smokey The Bluegrass Bomber
Poor Mans Lift (PML) [x]
8,000lb Winch[x]
Kenwood Aftermarket Sound System[x]
Plastics Repainted Black [x]
Resanators, Rear Sway Bar, Nerf Bars Removed [x]
Rims Painted [x]
30" Firestone Destination A/T's [x]
Cobra CB & 3' Firestik Antenna [x]
Cherrybomb Glasspack [x]
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.