post #1 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
XRockerX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
XRockerX is on a distinguished road
LED dome lights always on...

Hey guys...a few days ago i installed some LED lights in the X, one in the dome light housing above my head, and another in the rear light housing in the cargo area....i noticed that the lights work well, and are extremely bright....but they never cut completely off. It's not really noticable during the day, but at night they are clearly always glowing a bit....is this normal? will it kill my battery? here's a link to the lights i put in....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-31...Q5fAccessories
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 AM
baf6
Spaz

2000 Xterra
baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks baf6 Totally Rocks
not normal at all

don't see how it could be the bulb, likely a problem with the circuit that you never noticed with the old bulbs...

i doubt it will kill your battery, at least not overnight...LEDs draw a very low current...i've left my LED map lights on overnight, both sides, and still showed 14 volts on my volt gauge when i put the key in
2000 Xterra
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
XRockerX

2003 Xterra
I put the old bulbs back in to see if that was the case of me not noticing them being on....and they cut off like they're supposed to....and after about an hour and a half i went back out to check on the LED's....and they had finally cut completely off? So they DO cut completely off but after an hour or so....
2003 Xterra
post #4 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 AM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
It has to do with the resistance on the line. Sometimes
the dome light delay circuit or some other part leaves a small voltage on the line that isn't even for a normal bulb to glow, but a more sensitive LED may.

This actually happened in my friends 2001 VW Golf. He replaced his brake lights/tail lights with some LEDs... and it caused his 3rd brake light, which was a stock LED strip, to always glow faintly (well bright enough you could notice if the sun wasn't shining hardcore).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App
2001 Xterra
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Ha ok so it was my first initial thought. The timer for the dome light must be based off of a capacitor charge rather than something like a 555 timer chip.

Since an LED pulls a lot less current than your normal bulbs, the capacitor will take a lot longer to discharge meaning your lights will "stay on" a lot longer

2001 Xterra
post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr162 View Post
Ha ok so it was my first initial thought. The timer for the dome light must be based off of a capacitor charge rather than something like a 555 timer chip.

Since an LED pulls a lot less current than your normal bulbs, the capacitor will take a lot longer to discharge meaning your lights will "stay on" a lot longer

This. LED's have so little resistance compared to an incandescent bulb, and your dome light timer is indeed capacitor based. You can either live with it as is, It won't kill your battery any more that the old bulbs would have, or install a properly sized resistor inline withe the dome light circuit. Personally, I'd leave it as is, unless the the faint glow at night interferes with your ability to see out of the vehicle.

--Jason

My 2008 Super Black SE "The Elephant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
The ass of my ride will swap ends faster than the OP will fail an English class.
2008 Xterra
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
RATTFINK
nXm Sponsorship

2000 SE V6 Xterra
RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold RATTFINK is a splendid one to behold
My LED dome lights are wired to an incandescent bulb and I have had no problems.

2000 SE V6 Xterra
post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
XRockerX

2003 Xterra
thanks for the help guys....it doesn't effect my visibility to see at night, and if it doesn't drain the battery any more so than the incandescent bulbs....i won't worry with it. Thanks again for all of the info guys.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.