post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Foster12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 SE Xterra
Foster12 is on a distinguished road
Knock sensor: relocate or resistor mod?

I just purchased an '01 SE V6 4wd for my wife, and it triggered a knock sensor code along with a rear O2 sensor code on the drive home. This engine is NA, so I am less worried about the ecu pulling timing, etc; and I do not plan to tow with this vehicle.

After much searching, I've found the KS relocation mod typically for the S/C engines; and I have also found mention of the resistor mod. I recognize that the KS code may have been sitting stored and the O2 fault triggered the CEL, but I can not have a logged code sitting stored - emissions do a OBD2 scan every other year, so a stored code will fail emissions.

The resistor mod seems pretty easy, but I have not found a post where the person has completed it successfully - it is mentioned many times as something to do. I've seen mention a 1 mega ohm resistor and also a ~500 ohm resistor.

I understand access can be a PITA, but I'm planning on doing the water pump/timing belt and potentially the VC gaskets all at one time. So I'll have a reason to be under there either way.

Vehicle has ~111,xxx miles on it. Any links to successful use of the resistor since I has hoping to save the cost of buying a knock sensor.

Thanks,

Josh
2001 SE Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
timing belt will not get you to the knock sensor.

the resistor is 560kohm or 560,000 ohm

doing it got me back 2mpg so yeah its important if the engine is retarding even on a na.

the risk is you have no knock sensor so if your engine does start knocking for whatever reason you only got your ears and feel to pick it up.

But i have had the resistor mod for a year and so far so good. I do want to play with the timing now for ethanol so i am going to relocate it just for some added insurance.
2000 Xterra
post #3 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM
granitex
Phreak

2004 Xterra
granitex has a spectacular aura about them granitex has a spectacular aura about them
resitor, did it years ago. it takes about 15 min total and is a lot quicker, easier, cheaper and generally much more gooder that relocating the sensor.

2004 XE Shrockworks front with winch, ARB Lockers front and rear, Calmimi steering, Sliders, 3inch SL, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, bumper lights, custom roof rack, CB, Laptop mount, Sgt lobo, missing rear swaybar, Quest Alt, diff drop, Aux e-fan, Fuse block, tranny filter and cooler, axle truss and skid, Nismo cat back,Mile Marker hubs, Thorleys, 33's .
2004 Xterra
post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
smason54321

2002 Xterra
smason54321 is on a distinguished road
I've been running the resistor mod for a couple months now and couldn't be happier with the improved performance. I have the S/C version though. As you know, it's debatable whether it necessary for the NA motors, like yours.

Here is a thread I used to help identify the connector and wires to connect the the 560k resistor.
http://tunfs.yuku.com/topic/363/t/Kn...-or-PO327.html

It's primarily dealing with the relocation mod but everything you need for the resistor mod can be found in it.

Good luck!

'02 Xterra SE/SC 4x4 5-Spd
2002 Xterra
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
doing this relocation when my stuff comes in, after my knock sensor code being present for over 4 years, lol
hoping to see a little improvement in performance

got the knock sensor off ebay for $17

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
post #6 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Foster12

2001 SE Xterra
I like that link. After my post, I stumbled onto a couple knock sensors on eBay. I might actually buy a good one, and then just relocate it for the slight piece of mind.

Agreed that TB won't give me access to the KS, but doing the VC gaskets will. I would rather tear into this thing and get a ton of stuff replaced at once then piece meal it.

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Josh
2001 SE Xterra
post #7 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Ricer-X
WHO DAT

2004 Xterra
Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of Ricer-X has much to be proud of
hell, im not even gonna pull my old one, im just gonna leave it where it is

Dustin - 2004 XE V6 2wd; 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x12.5" ATs, HooHaa Steering, Idler arm Brace, 5% tint, Bilstein HD shocks, SAW Tbars, 1/2" ball joint spacers, piaa, HD Tbar anchors, B&M Tranny Cooler Stock Intake Mod, blacked out plastics/wheels/rack
2004 Xterra
post #8 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
smason54321

2002 Xterra
smason54321 is on a distinguished road
I can't claim to know, but some feel those ultra cheap knock sensors found on ebay are essentially a piece of plastic with a 50 cent 560k resistor inside. As such, they won't function any different than the resitor mod would. However, I found some genuine Nissan ones on Ebay for $48 recently.

'02 Xterra SE/SC 4x4 5-Spd
2002 Xterra
post #9 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Foster12

2001 SE Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by smason54321 View Post
I can't claim to know, but some feel those ultra cheap knock sensors found on ebay are essentially a piece of plastic with a 50 cent 560k resistor inside. As such, they won't function any different than the resitor mod would. However, I found some genuine Nissan ones on Ebay for $48 recently.
I read the comment about the resistor in the package, and I only planned on purchasing one in OEM plastic. I'd rather pay a little extra for what should be a known good part.

I was doing a little more research, and JWT ignores the knock sensor on some of their ecu programs. You can get a code, but the timing maps are exactly the same (so you do not get a decrease in performance....which doesn't help my situation but it is interesting).

Josh
2001 SE Xterra
post #10 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
SammyM68

2001 Xterra
SammyM68 is on a distinguished road
Knock Sensor relocate Easy job.

After dealing with low end engine vibration and stalling I replaced distributor and all tune up items which only helped the problem a little. Two days ago the problem got to the point of stalling out at all speeds/rpm

If I had found this article which made the knock sensor relocate SO EASY! I would have done it months ago.

http://tunfs.yuku.com/topic/363/t/Kn...l#.UaOu4WTaAl5

New knock sensor placed in easy to reach spot, now I have smooth idle, smooth acceleration, more power and no more stalling.

Kudos to the author of this step by step guide along with photos for making what would be a big, long expensive job quick and easy.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.