Code P0328 Knock Sensor FIX - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM
pavanmex

2003 Xterra
pavanmex is on a distinguished road
Talking Code P0328 Knock Sensor FIX

Hello,

I have found the cure for P0328 error code. There is no need to take the manifold off and pay up to 500 usd for fixing this. This is what you do:-

1. Turn engine off.
2. Disconnect positive battery terminal.
3. Unbolt engine GROUND BOLT and clean with a metal brush. I also cleaned the hole where the bolt goes with my 270 rifle cleaning brush.
4. Tighten engine ground bolt.
5. Connect the positive battery terminal.
6. Eliminate the error code with a scanner of your choice.

Done!
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
Where is this engine ground bolt? Do you have pictures? Also how does this fix the k ock sensor?
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
pavanmex

2003 Xterra
pavanmex is on a distinguished road
I will see if I can get pictures. But looking at the engine from the front it is on the left of the left cam cover towards the front. It has a couple of cables connected to it with a round connector.
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
awesomekasim
Seasoned

awesomekasim is on a distinguished road
bad grounds can always be a source of electrical problems and since the KS is grounded to the block, cleaning that ground can help. This may not be the case for everyone though.

Another fix that is VERY common for 300zx owners is putting a 1 mega ohm resistor in the harness for the sensor to trick the ECU into thinking its functioning properly. My KS is working fine but someone with a KS code should try this and see if it works.

Nissan Driver

#5 Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM
gostyle
Noob

gostyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmex View Post
Hello,

I have found the cure for P0328 error code. There is no need to take the manifold off and pay up to 500 usd for fixing this. This is what you do:-

1. Turn engine off.
2. Disconnect positive battery terminal.
3. Unbolt engine GROUND BOLT and clean with a metal brush. I also cleaned the hole where the bolt goes with my 270 rifle cleaning brush.
4. Tighten engine ground bolt.
5. Connect the positive battery terminal.
6. Eliminate the error code with a scanner of your choice.

Done!
Engine ground is a good thought but the knock sensor is a resistor which changes ohms when it detects pings from the engine. Once it recognizes engine ping it retards the engine timing. Most knock sensor seems to deteriorate in a few years and requires replacement. I think a good solution is to replace it with a 560, 000 ohm resistor and hope that you don't ever have any serious pinging.
#6 Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostyle View Post
Engine ground is a good thought but the knock sensor is a resistor which changes ohms when it detects pings from the engine. Once it recognizes engine ping it retards the engine timing. Most knock sensor seems to deteriorate in a few years and requires replacement. I think a good solution is to replace it with a 560, 000 ohm resistor and hope that you don't ever have any serious pinging.
Also note that this only occurs on SuperCharged engines. Nothing changes for the naturally aspirated engines. This has been proven several times with actual dyno tests with fully functioning knock sensors.

The SuperCharged engines running the resistor mod will need to run premium fuel at all times in order to keep the engine temps down as well as to minimize the knocking associated with advancing timing on a forced induction system.

But simply cleaning your ground (although an excellent idea for helping diagnose any electrical issue first) is not guaranteed to repair the plethora of knock sensor failures that plague the Nissan community.

It would help to put up at least picture though, showing where the ground bolt is.

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#7 Old 05-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Jackal
Addict

2002 Xterra
Jackal will become famous soon enough
Garage
For the record, i just did the resistor mod today (literally got done an hour ago) with good results. Code that was there last night (i have a scanner) cleared the moment the car was started and no CEL came on during test drive and fueling up. I will be putting detailed pics in my build thread soon.

Nissan: 2002 SE/SC V6 4x4 3.3L Silver Ice Metallic
Upgrades: 3"SL, TC IAB, stainless brakelines, K&N FIPK, removed resonator, Powerslot cryo-slotted rotors, GY Gatorback belts, new radiator, Optima Yellowtop, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2, tail light guards, Clarion in-dash DVD/iPod, RF P500-2 and dual 12's, GR CL, AC TRA's, zombie survival kit.

Build Thread
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
Do a DIY thread if you've got the pics. Many folks wish to do this, many many!

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#9 Old 05-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Jackal
Addict

2002 Xterra
Garage
I am working on it right now. Should be posted later tonight in the how-to section.

Upgrades: 3"SL, TC IAB, stainless brakelines, K&N FIPK, removed resonator, Powerslot cryo-slotted rotors, GY Gatorback belts, new radiator, Optima Yellowtop, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2, tail light guards, Clarion in-dash DVD/iPod, RF P500-2 and dual 12's, GR CL, AC TRA's, zombie survival kit.

Build Thread
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Jackal
Addict

2002 Xterra
Garage
RESISTOR MOD FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build Thread
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.