Spark Plug Gap - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM
tua59450

2004 Xterra
tua59450 is on a distinguished road
Spark Plug Gap

hey guys changing my Spark Plugs today was wondering what the spark plug gap is on a 2004 3.3 non supercharged
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Mogman
Phreak

2011 Pro4X Xterra
Mogman is a jewel in the rough Mogman is a jewel in the rough Mogman is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Your owners manual should tell you. There might also be a sticker on the inside of the hood.

I don't know much about the first gens, but my manual specifically states to NOT gap or clean the plugs. The platinum plugs are maintenance free. Replace after 100k or so.

Any real man knows the only manly trucks are the ones that require more maintenance than their woman.
Mog build: http://picasaweb.google.com/gaggenauster/Unimog#
2011 Pro4X Xterra
#3 Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
leonarlay

2004 Xterra
leonarlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua59450 View Post
hey guys changing my spark plugs today was wondering what the spark plug gap is on a 2004 3.3 non supercharged
0.039-0.043
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
PhilKratz
Seasoned

2000 x Xterra
PhilKratz is on a distinguished road
I just changed mine with ngk v power plugs mine are at .042 and everything is good

Sent from my iPhone
2000 x Xterra
#5 Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 AM
tj02x
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
tj02x is on a distinguished road
It does differ on the plugs you get... I just changed mine with ngk's and they called for .44 I got my plugs a napa and napa actually prints the gap right on the reciept for the plugs you get...

The last set I put in were champions... and don't quote me for sure but I think they got gaped at .55

And whether or not your manual says not to gap the plugs.. or the place you get the plugs from tells you that they are pre gaped.... make sure you still check them... I have ran into that problem with customers cars a lot...

Last edited by tj02x; 04-09-2011 at 08:22 AM.
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
JohnInNY
Noob

2005 Xterra
JohnInNY is on a distinguished road
.44 for the 2005, on the box of NGK's platinum laser, it say's do not gap. I checked each one, most were about .43, two were like .46 so I just pressed in gently. The factory ones I took out, same brand etc. @136K miles, were at .46 - .48 I guess from a little wear. 2 things: ALWAYS check your parts at the store, I have been getting a lot of returned, greasy stuff, so now I check before leaving the store, and as far as spark plugs, check the gap, Friday at a factory can bring some bad luck.
2005 Xterra
#7 Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Mogman
Phreak

2011 Pro4X Xterra
Mogman is a jewel in the rough Mogman is a jewel in the rough Mogman is a jewel in the rough
Garage
The automobile / engine manufacturer's gap spec is the one that should be followed, not the spark plug manufacturer (they have no idea what engine their plug goes in, and it could be hundreds of different engines with different specs).

As for gapping the plugs: gapping techniques can damage the plug. Be careful or be sorry. If you visit different plug manufacturer's websites and read their FAQ, you will see that they will tell you that it's a good idea to check it, but not always a good idea to adjust it.

For example...here's what Bosch has to say:

Do I need to gap my plugs?
Maybe, but likely not. Many plugs are pre-gapped for their most popular applications, however, the gap can be altered if the plug is dropped or mishandled in packing/shipping. Therefore even if the plugs are supposedly preset for your motor, it is always wise to check the gap on each plug prior to installing. For information on how to adjust the gap see Proper Gapping.

It is not recommended that you adjust the gap on multi-ground plugs.

Bosch Ir Fusion, +4, +2 Spark plugs are never to be gapped for any application. The gaps on these plugs are not adjustable.

Any real man knows the only manly trucks are the ones that require more maintenance than their woman.
Mog build: http://picasaweb.google.com/gaggenauster/Unimog#

Last edited by Mogman; 04-20-2011 at 03:31 AM.
2011 Pro4X Xterra
#8 Old 04-20-2011, 10:19 AM
emmdock
Addict

2002 Xterra
emmdock is on a distinguished road
I think it's .039-.044 but it also says don't mess with them because you can chip/damage the coating on the electrode.

2002 Xterra XE 3.3 4x4 auto | JL 500/1v2 + 10W7 | Viper 5901 remote starter | Rear sway bar delete | Bilsteins all around | IAB | 2" DIY BL | KC HiLiTES on homemade roof bar | AC Shackles/PML | 33x12.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar on Cragar Soft 8s | Skid Row skids | Yakima Loadwarrior | Beginning of a build thread

2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.