bradwilfong
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 Xterra
bradwilfong is on a distinguished road
2000 Xterra 3.3 misfire at idle

My girlfriend just bought her new used 2000 Xterra 3.3 4wd 5 speed with 120000 miles! Signed the papers and before she got home the check engine light was on and when sitting at idle starts to flash! Original codes were p0300 random multiple misfire and p0325 knock sensor. First I ran some seafoam through the system, took it on a beat ride, then installed factory plugs replacing the 5 bosch platinum 2's and cylinder 6's original plug with no electrode left! No change at that point. After doing more research and talking to the Nissan dealer I installed a new factory distributor ordered by vin. Still no change. Installed factory wires with no change. Decided to tackle the knock sensor in hopes it was retarding the timing enough to cause the misfire. After new knock sensor, upper and lower intake gaskets, and a couple new coolant lines I took care of the knock sensor code!!!! Random misfire still occurring at idle, comes and goes at times. Decided to try the rest of the can of seafoam with hopes... denied! Any suggestions?
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwilfong View Post
My girlfriend just bought her new used 2000 Xterra 3.3 4wd 5 speed with 120000 miles!

Signed the papers and before she got home the check engine light was on and when sitting at idle starts to flash!

Original codes were p0300 random multiple misfire and p0325 knock sensor.

First I ran some seafoam through the system, took it on a beat ride, then installed factory plugs replacing the 5 bosch platinum 2's and cylinder 6's original plug with no electrode left!

No change at that point.

After doing more research and talking to the Nissan dealer I installed a new factory distributor ordered by vin.

Still no change.

Installed factory wires with no change.

Decided to tackle the knock sensor in hopes it was retarding the timing enough to cause the misfire.

After new knock sensor, upper and lower intake gaskets, and a couple new coolant lines I took care of the knock sensor code!!!!

Random misfire still occurring at idle, comes and goes at times. Decided to try the rest of the can of seafoam with hopes... denied!

Any suggestions?
Wow, you do bounce around once you get a head of steam up, don't you.

To get a few clarifications...

When you say "No Change", what do you mean?

Do you mean the truck is not running right, or, just that the codes have not reset yet?

You have already tracked down one of the common issues, that pesky #6 plug....the mechanics skip it because its a PITA, each thinking THEY are the first to do so, etc....

If the electrode is MISSING though, that does make one wonder where it is now though....?

My first thought is that its somewhere below where it started, which can certainly lead to trouble.

Another question...at 120K, it was due for a new timing belt and water pump at 105K....was that done?

Was it "Done" by the same consciousness chap who did the spark plugs?

As for the knock sensor...on the non-SC X's, its meaningless, and you could have ignored it. The O2 sensor, sure, makes the rig run crappy when they go south...but, the KS is not needed at all on that year X.

Given the questions on maintenance...a clogged air filter or crack in the intake plenum duct, a fouled MAF sensor, etc...could be present as well.

(And, your diffs and other lubes are probably dry or gunky, and so forth...but that's a separate issue...)

And, I can't help but ask...is there some reason you guys didn't bring it back to the guy who SOLD IT like that?

IE: It SOUNDS like it was "Code Cleared and Sold"...with the codes coming back right after the truck left the lot, etc....?

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Last edited by TJTJ; 02-13-2011 at 08:43 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
bradwilfong
Noob

2000 Xterra
By no change I mean it is acting just the same as before I did anything. I tell you it seems to run fine until you sit still at idle for a bit and even then the idle just gets a little rough and the check engine starts flashing. When scanned it is p0300 but the knock sensor code is gone! I was just being a smart ass about the electrode, I just meant it was very very warn. I did read a lot of places to ignore the knock sensor code but I had to give it a shot. I have changed the coolant and oil. I did not see any damage to the the plenum when I had it off but did not think to look over it too closely. I am unsure of the timing belt or water pump but I suppose that will be soon. I did clean the MAF today as well. As to returning it.... Was a cash deal from a person not dealer. We called the people and they gradually turned into not very friendly people...
2000 Xterra
post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM
CryptoX

2002 Xterra
CryptoX is on a distinguished road
i have an 02 supercharged, and am having the same exact problem, i've replaced two o2 sensors cap, rotor, plugs, distributor, most of the vacuum lines, knock sensor relocation, intake air sensor, sea foamed and changed the oil. the timing and idle are dead on. It runs great going down the road but runs rough at idle and i get p0300 code. so if you figure something out let me know.
2002 Xterra
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
bradwilfong
Noob

2000 Xterra
I did actually figure mine out. Everything I did needed done as everything was warn or done piss poor! I think the initial problem was the distributor, not just the cap and rotor, the whole assembly. The distributor bearing was warn. But the people I bought it off of did not have the most efficient mechanic. He changed the plugs but only did 5 skipping number 6 and he used after market plugs known to cause misfire codes. I suggest you use factory plugs. By TJ,s suggestion I thought maybe the same thrifty mechanic installed a timing belt. Sure enough it was a pretty new belt either installed a tooth off or slipped a tooth due to the warn tensioner. Not sure if that is possible, I think it was installed wrong! So I installed a new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump since I was in there! So with my new factory plugs, wires, distributor, knock sensor, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and a few hoses I damaged! It runs great and my girlfriend loves it!!! Thanks for your suggestion TJ and I hope this helps you CryptoX!
2000 Xterra
post #6 of 6 Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM
devo_25
Noob

devo_25 is on a distinguished road
I am having the same problem with a 2000 frontier with a 3.3 motor, it is misfiring in cylinder #5 but its not giving me any codes, I know that its #5 because I did a power balance test and whenever I kill cylinder 5 the engine stays the same, I have power going to the plug and fuel going to the cylinder. any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.