2 inch body lift question? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
lbishop is on a distinguished road
Question 2 inch body lift question?

I think its time for the x to get some more ground clearance. I do no for sure I want 2 inch body lift but im not sure where to get it from.

4x4 parts.com carries a kit for my 04, but much past that I'm over my head.

Any suggestions on a good kit?

Thanx for the help

P.S If u can think anything else i need to go with the kit then please let me no.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbishop View Post
I think its time for the x to get some more ground clearance. I do know for sure I want a 2 inch body lift, but I'm not sure where to get it from.

4x4 parts.com carries a kit for my 04, but much past that, and I'm in over my head.

Any suggestions for a good kit?

Thanks for the help

P.S If you can think anything else I need to go with the kit then please let me know.

Well, if the added ground clearance is going to be from larger tires, then a body lift will work out for you.

The kit from AC is the best one (And the only one, as the others are the same kit in different boxes anyway).

You can make one yourself for ~ $100 in parts and a bunch of running around, if you want to save money but waste time, etc...depending on what you have more of, etc.

If you are NOT getting 33" or taller tires, you do not need the body lift...and, you might want a suspension lift instead.

Are you going to be off roading?

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...

Last edited by TJTJ; 02-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.
#3 Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
I agree with TJ, if time is of the essence, then get the kit but if you don't mind taking some time to do a little leg work then I would piece together your own kit. We have a "How-to" in our DIY section that lists all that you would need.

I will say that if you decide to buy the AC kit, toss the instructions in the trash or use them to start a fire and use the "How-to" that is listed here on CX that Soccerbrace put together. When I did mine, I compared his instructions to the ones provided with the kit and I immediately tossed the kit instructions. The instructions that come with the kit are also the same instructions sent with a 3" body lift which means that they will have you doing several hours worth of extra labor that is actually not necessary for the 2" body lift. I know this because a month later I installed a 3" BL on a Tacoma and it was the exact same instructions. It will list steps on relocating the radiator, extending your fuel-filler hose and steering linkage which is not necessary for the 2" BL.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#4 Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
ya my xterrra does go off-road from time to time. The reason I'm lookin for more ground clearance is that my skids drug last weekend. So I figured I would get a 2 inch body lift and either 32x11.50 or 33's.

One more quick question, most of the off-roading my x sees is mudd would I be better off with a 2 inch suspension lift? I just figured on gettin a body lift because I could get off cheaper.

Thanx again for yalls help
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
kbell2433
Addict

2002SE Xterra
kbell2433 is on a distinguished road
You can do 32x11.50 tires without a lift at all. Those tires and a pml and you would be good to go.

KURT
2002SE Just Blue 4x4.
2" BL, "AC" PML, Bilstein 5100 HD front, Bilstein 5125 rear, 275/70/16 BFG All Terain TA/ko, Shrockworks Sliders, Total Chaos IAB, Tranny Cooler, Garmin Nuvi 500 w/Great Lakes topo maps, Tekonsha Prodigy Electronic Trailer Brake Controler, Coverking Seat Covers, Alpine SPR69C Rear Speakers, Cobra 75WXst Cb

Blue Beast Build Thread

2002SE Xterra
#6 Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
lbishop
Veteran

2004 Xterra
At first i was just gonna do a PML and 32x11.50s but then i was like maybe a 2 inch body lift and 33s will be a better fit for my x.

dude thanx for the suggestion though.
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
ex-terran

2000 Xterra
ex-terran is on a distinguished road
Would 33 x 12.5 tires fit with a 2" BL and no PML?

I'm trying to figure out a good compromise between extra ground clearance (more is better) and raising the CG (less is better). I was planning to do a 2" BL and 32 x 11.5, but if those tires will fit without the BL, then maybe 2" BL + 33x12.5 would be better.

My other car is lowered, so my Xterra feels like a 10 foot tall clown-bicycle by comparison. I don't want to aggravate the situation.
2000 Xterra
#8 Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 AM
kbell2433
Addict

2002SE Xterra
kbell2433 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-terran View Post
Would 33 x 12.5 tires fit with a 2" BL and no PML
Yes they will.

But you could do 32x11.50 without a PML or a BL They will fit a stock X.

Personally i would do the BL and 33's first, then do a pml at a later time.

KURT
2002SE Just Blue 4x4.
2" BL, "AC" PML, Bilstein 5100 HD front, Bilstein 5125 rear, 275/70/16 BFG All Terain TA/ko, Shrockworks Sliders, Total Chaos IAB, Tranny Cooler, Garmin Nuvi 500 w/Great Lakes topo maps, Tekonsha Prodigy Electronic Trailer Brake Controler, Coverking Seat Covers, Alpine SPR69C Rear Speakers, Cobra 75WXst Cb

Blue Beast Build Thread

Last edited by kbell2433; 02-11-2011 at 06:13 AM.
2002SE Xterra
#9 Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Jmac289GT
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Jmac289GT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbishop View Post
ya my xterrra does go off-road from time to time. The reason I'm lookin for more ground clearance is that my skids drug last weekend. So I figured I would get a 2 inch body lift and either 32x11.50 or 33's.

One more quick question, most of the off-roading my x sees is mudd would I be better off with a 2 inch suspension lift? I just figured on gettin a body lift because I could get off cheaper.

Thanx again for yalls help
You won't get ground clearance from a body lift...you will need a suspension lift to get the skids a little higher. 32X11.50's will fit but depending on what wheels and back spacing you put them on will determine how much rubbing you will have and what you might need to trim off.
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 02-12-2011, 11:28 AM
ex-terran

2000 Xterra
ex-terran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbell2433 View Post
Yes they will.

But you could do 32x11.50 without a PML or a BL They will fit a stock X.

Personally i would do the BL and 33's first, then do a pml at a later time.
BL + 33s sounds like a good plan, I didn't realize they'd fit. Thanks for the tip!

I probably won't bother with the PML at all, unless I find that I absolutely need to have it to get somewhere interesting.
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.