Nissan XTerra Forum banner

DIY paint can airbox (sealed)

9K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  legend869 
#1 · (Edited)
So being the cheap bastard i am, i want the most i can get for the cheapest possible. after combining multiple ideas off the internet I decided to build myself a custom airbox that is sealed (for my DIY snorkel), looks good, but most importantly, incorporates a high flow cone filter.

things you will need:

~5" cone filter
3" intake adapter plate
2 x 3" intake coupler
5" of 3" OD pipe/tubing
1/4" or 3/8" NPT tap and bit (or some other genius idea)
appropriate fittings for 2 air lines off intake ^^
blank/unused 1 gallon paint can from home depot
grinder or hack saw
rtv sealant or the like

I came up with the concept of using a gallon paint can as the airbox. Simple, looks good and can be sealed. The air filter i got was about a 1/4" too big. I took my grinder to the first lip on the inside of the can. Now the filter fits, but there's no lid.

On the other side, cut a 3" hole and use the metal backing of the MAF tube bracket from your airbox and a 3" intake adapter from pepboys or kragen. match it up, drill holes and use your old MAF tube bolts. Make sure you seal it up with RTV sealant or something.

Now that your box it finished on that side, press fit the cone filter into the paint can. take a piece of gorilla tape or some other strong tape long enough to wrap all the way around. put about half of it on the lip of the can, cut the hang off into vertical strips and attach to the filter backing. make sure this makes an air tight seal.

now for me, the paint can was too long so i tried trimming down my up tube. this failed miserably and left me stranded in my school parking lot until i could scrounge up parts and an idea. I had some 3" OD steel pipe i was using for my snorkel, i decided to chop that into a 5" section and use that as my main tube. I drilled and tapped two 3/8" NPT holes for the two lines coming off the intake and used brass fittings.

Finally, attach the intake to the proper side of the MAF tubing, attach other side to the intake coupler, then to the new intake tube, then the other coupler, finally to the throttle body.

as for the temperature sensor, i put a little hose sleeve over it and let it kind just sit there, hasnt given me any problems.

also if you want, you can attack rubber elbows or bendy intake tubing to get the desired DIY snorkel.

let me know if you guys want any extra photos.

and of course the snorkel isnt done, i just need one seam welded on the tubing and im done.

also, results from the but dyno are still inconclusive but it sounds a LOT beefier and i seem to be getting better milage.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I did that because I am running a 3" pipe the entire way through and there was no space. I also think it looks better when it form fits to the a pillar. You guys will see what I mean

Also, when running, if I cover up the intake elbow on the fender, it sucks the flexible airline flat as much as it can so I figure its tight all the way through. I also checked each joint when assembling.

#5 ·
Dude! That is the single coolest mod I have ever seen! Do you recommend using flat latex paint, or would a glossy paint can give you more HP?

*kidding*

You get total reps for that.

#6 ·
This is exactly what I was looking for to seal up my CAI, assuming the filter will fit in the can. Nice!

#9 ·
Rep points! I DIG THIS! I might have to do this!

#10 ·
I do not have photos of cutting or fitting. I wish I did but I did this mostly at school because they hve things like 3" hole saws and 3/8" not taps. To get to the filter you have to remove the tape but I think it's worth it. Also I'm still working on a temp sensor location. Like I said in the post it's just flopping around in a sleeve made of air hose

#11 ·
Does this add something to your airflow versus plugging up your stock air box with silicone and going from there? As I already have the K&N filter for the stock airbox. Pretty cool idea though.

#12 ·
it allows me to use a cone filter. Cone filters typically have a higher surface area and flow better. I think it also seals better than the box. im still working on finding a better solution than the tape though.

#13 ·
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I do like the idea of the cone filter. Is there an easy way to get it out of the can to clean it?

#16 ·
so in short. you sealed the can at the throttle body, with the cone attached on the inside of the can, then sealed with the hose running to your snorkle?

any update on a fix for the tape?

#17 ·
so in short. you sealed the can at the throttle body, with the cone attached on the inside of the can, then sealed with the hose running to your snorkle?

any update on a fix for the tape?
Hmmm - I see you had to trim the lid receptacle edges to make the filter fit...wondering if you can make a cone filter fit without losing the lip for the lid, whether that's not a solution for how to easily access the filter...research time...

#18 · (Edited)
#19 ·
there dammit lol just click on that to see it. I gotta brush up on posting pix

#20 ·
Get a server error!

#21 ·
Crap. I'll have to work on it in a bit. Haven't got a photo bucket setup

#22 ·
I like this idea. Instead of tape I think you could probably make a boot to clamp over it.

#24 · (Edited)
Ya I wish I could upload them right from my phone. The airbox is made from a mini keg. Cut holes in both ends and used windshield culk to glue the specter filter inside after cutting it in half. The keg had dents at both ends so I cut in half there and ground down so the keg would fit inside itself. Used self adhering tape to cover all sharp edges then tapped it back together and used a big hose clamp to secure the two halves together. Had to cut and grind on the maf sensor housing to get it to fit inside the filter. Then placed inside of engine bay and it just barely fits but it right there waiting for a snorkel ;-)

#26 ·
I noticed that you went with 3" tubing all the way through to the intake plenum. any chance its causing any check engine lights from the maf getting too much air flowing through it. I had this happen on one of my old cars and ended up having to mod the maf sensor, something i woujld like to avoid since they are kind of expensive if you screw it up in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.