Service engine soon light - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM
capnp72
Noob

2005 Xterra
capnp72 is on a distinguished road
Service engine soon light

I have a service engine soon light on my '05. If I disconnect the battery for 30 min will it go out if there are no codes? How else could I make the light go out? I don't have a code reader.
2005 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Bwedel24
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Bwedel24 is on a distinguished road
advance auto will let you use theirs for free... just ask for it and hand them your license.

wedel

2002 Silver Xterra 4x4 ~ 105,xxx
BILSTEIN 5100s and AC shackles, Cobra 19DXIV CB w/ PA speaker behind the bumper, Firestik II w/ fold over adaptor (for the parking garage!), Resonators removed, Xterra Neoprene Seat Covers. Calmini IAB. Nobody gives a shit but rear swaybar removed and headliner fixed!

Not a build thread yet but its all i've got:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25199
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25125
2002 Xterra
#3 Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM
capnp72
Noob

2005 Xterra
capnp72 is on a distinguished road
I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and the light didn't come back on.
2005 Xterra
#4 Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
I have tried the disconnect trick a couple of times in my old truck. It sort of worked for awhile [2-3 months]. Try changing the oil first maybe? My car is doing that and i know it's because i'm too bloody busy to change the oil. One thing about disconnecting the battery- write down all your radio stations first [hard to remember afterwards- been there did that] [then lost the t shirt]. Also it's always good to have your radio theft code handy too [otherwise it won't work on startup]. But it can't hurt to try. When I did it I left it off overnight then just hoooked up, rebooted the radio and drove away.
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Or you can find out what the code is so we can help you.

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#6 Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 AM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
x2 with Soccer

capnp72: That's great and all that you got the code to go away, but unless you know the code was thrown because of you (as in you had a fuel injector unplugged, forgot, and started the car but have since plugged the injector back in) it may not have been the best to clear the code. Without the code you don't know what's wrong, and that's not a good thing
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 AM
CMD
\m/>_<\m/

2003 Xterra
CMD will become famous soon enough CMD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnp72 View Post
I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and the light didn't come back on.
The light doesn't just come on for the fun of it. Something is wrong with your car, unless you haven't come to the conclusion of what service engine soon means...

- Sean

Totaled - 2003 XE - 3" SL, 2" BL, Sliders and Skids, 33" MT's
Build Thread - Warthog

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?p=515519#post515519]"Second X"

Ohh, Second Gen? Typical....
2003 Xterra
#8 Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Trishness

Trishness is on a distinguished road
My SES light went on back on December 11th and fuel gauge wasn't registering correctly.....filled the X with gas and still was registering 1/4 tank. SES light went off after a couple of days but came back on next fill up. Found out it was the Fuel Level Sensor/sending unit. ERROR CODE P0463. Nisan has not issued a full recall for this but extended the warranty from 36K/36 months to 72K/72 months on CERTAIN vin#s. Not sure if this helps but I had mine replaced for FREE at my local Nissan Dealership today.

Trish
#9 Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
Disconnecting your battery also clears the self-learn in the computer, resetting anything that it's learned. So resetting the light like that isn't recommended.

Get the code pulled. You might be hurting your engine or transmission by ignoring it.

A little bit spent now might save you from spending a ton later!

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.