Know issue, no luck! Heater blowing cold air... - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
aliengin
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aliengin is on a distinguished road
Know issue, no luck! Heater blowing cold air...

OK, before anyone says anything I did my search and found a lot of posts on the web with the same problem. Answer seems to be the cooler!
Its a 08 Xterra Off Road
Here is my problem:
Heater blows cool air not like AC but more like fan air when the car is not moving. You can feel it even when stopping at red lights. Once the car starts moving heat turns on. Also when the car is moving I can smell the fume like almost the heat is coming from engine department without any filtration, this happens even if I select circulate cabin air button.
Cooler was at the minimum level in the small reservour.
This is what i did:
I filled the reservoir to max level, and topped the radiator. Put the car on a ramp lifting front end, open the valve and run the engine for 15 minutes about 2000 rpms. I also turn the heat all the way up. After the process topped the radiator and filled the reservoir again to max. Drove for 20 minutes and problem still existed.
Second solution took the car to dealer and told them the problem. They said they didn't have the mechanic on Saturday but they told me they checked the pressure level in the rediator and couldn't find any problems.
Car does not over heat but again I am in Chicago and its around 15s! I checked the cooler again today and seems like it lost some since Friday. Level was a litle under Minimum level.
Its obvious that its loosing from somewhere and heater is sucking air from engine compartment. One other thing is when i turn the engine off if the heat is on I can hear some water bubling right behind the dashboard.
I am going to take the car to another service this week. Does anyone know what this could be?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 AM
ASTE25

2011 S 4X4 Xterra
ASTE25 is on a distinguished road
I thought we cleared this up. lol.
2011 S 4X4 Xterra
post #3 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
aliengin
Noob

aliengin is on a distinguished road
I know I know. I am just trying to get more feedback about this, maybe someone had the same problem. My only concern is I am going to leave the truck at the dealer and they are going to turn the heater on IN THE HEATED SERVICE AREA (which they did on Saturday) and tell me nothings wrong with it.
BTW, I checked the floor this morning and there was no neak overnight. I drove about 10 miles and i will check the reservoir tonoght to see the fluid level.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 AM
S2X01
Phreak

2001 Xterra
S2X01 will become famous soon enough
thermostat?

Stu.

'01 Silver XE
Got Some Mods.....More comin.

BUILD THREAD

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
That's it, I'm gonna start carrying my muzzle-loader in the rig. Ain't no sneakin' up on me!

Of course there's always been a rivalry between Blackfoot and the Shoshone tribes anyway. Indian signs getting thrown around and my wife looking at me like I'm the idiot. I mean really, someone flashes me 'Your mom looks like a doe's ass' sign and it's on!
2001 Xterra
post #5 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
ASTE25

2011 S 4X4 Xterra
It won't matter if they turn it on in their heated shop. All that matters is that the heat is on and the water is allowed to flow through the heater core to purge the air. Even in the shop the heater when working correctly should be a lot hotter than the ambient air in the shop. Let me know what you find out.
2011 S 4X4 Xterra
post #6 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
just some thoughts:
It could be the heater core is leaking and needs to be replaced. This could cause the engine compartment smell you talked about. It could also just be a heater hose leaking on the firewall and getting into the heater.
The fact that it is cold at while stopped and at idle, could be to air in the system, filling the heater core with air and not coolant.
Itsme
2000 4x4 Xterra
post #7 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 PM
ASTE25

2011 S 4X4 Xterra
Good point about the smell. He mentioned it, but said it smelled like engine fumes. I could see now how someone might describe the smell of coolant like that.
2011 S 4X4 Xterra
post #8 of 10 Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
ASTE25

2011 S 4X4 Xterra
Well, what was the verdict? Did you take it in yet?
2011 S 4X4 Xterra
post #9 of 10 Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
BakerX05
Seasoned

2005 Xterra
BakerX05 is on a distinguished road
try this

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24370

Baker
'05 Granite SE 4x4|AJ SS Rock Slider|PRG 3" suspension lift|285/75r16 Yokohama Geolander MT+|Pro Comp 7089-6868|PIAA 520 ATP|Shrock rear bumper w/tire carrier|NXrocks Skids|IMS|Flip Kit| Baker's X
2005 Xterra
post #10 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
jacarpenter
Noob

2005 Xterra
jacarpenter is on a distinguished road
I have an 05 and its doing the exact same thing. Did you find out what the problem was. I really dont want to spend tons on money at the dealer when it is probably a simple fix.
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.