Popping Noise: Front Passenger Area - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
chuckamazuk
Phreak

2004 Xterra
chuckamazuk will become famous soon enough chuckamazuk will become famous soon enough
Popping Noise: Front Passenger Area

Hey all. I have a "popping" sound coming from my front passenger area. It mostly happens when accelerating/braking quickly and the front end goes up and/or down. It also happens while rolling down the road (as the wheel must move up and down with the road). I recently upgraded my steering (HooHaa CL, Bandit IA Bushings, new TRE/TRA's) and thought it might be that. I've double checked that all my fasteners are tight and that nothing is loose. If i roll slow with no accelearation or stopping on a flat surface I can yank on the steering left to right and back and the "pop" does not happen. I keep thinking it may be the steering stuff but I may have started to hear this before I messed with the steering. It is getting more noticeable; however, it does not happen all the time. Often during up/down motion it is silent and other times just a small rise or fall with make the sound. Any ideas on what I should start looking at?

Chuck

Armor: Custom Sliders [built by me] - RLC Front Bumper - Skidrow Front, Eng/Trans, and TC skids
Lift: PML (AC) - 2" BL (DIY)
Lighting: PIAA 525 x 2 & Hella FF75 x 4
Steering: Calmini IAB - Bandit4x4 IAB Bushings - HooHaa CL - AC HD TRAs
Tires: 285/75R16 DuraTracs
Winch: ENGO E10000S

Write-Ups: Shocks & IAB :: "Homelink" :: Custom Light Bar :: Power Inverter :: Wiring

Build Thread
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
It almost sounds like the torsion bar needs to be tightened down at the A arm. At least it is worth the check.
Itsme
2000 4x4 Xterra
#3 Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
TJTJ
Sage Mentor/Moderator

TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold TJTJ is a splendid one to behold
Talking

The best way to check is to have a buddy in the drivers seat, while you look/listen down below...

and have them turn the wheel back and forth.

On the Hoo Hah/steering issues, it will clunk if its wallowing out, etc....if you get a clunking noise, etc....you can trace it to its source...looking from the pitman arm down.

The other thing is the sway bar/brackets/bushings...they commonly get loose with wear as well. A visual inspection will typically reveal that, looking at the entire set-up from the LCA links, bar ends, and cross member brackets, etc.

If you suspect that the t-bar anchors are becoming unbolted, a visual inspection will typically reveal evidence of movement/wear at these points as well.

Jacking the front end up, and manually raising and lowering the tires, and shaking them in/out at the tops, and then at the fronts, can also help see if tie-rod ends or ball joints might be making noise as well (Cries for help).

If you have skid plates, sometimes they get jammed so as to pop in/out of position as the frame flexes over the road...visually, this can be hard to see unless you notice a wear mark where plates overlap, etc, or bolts are loose, etc.

Anyway - the above are decent starting points.

-TJ

TJ's Build Thread ---> http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11532

DIYS http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16434

2001 Xterra SE, 2003 V6, 5 spd, Shrock Sliders, Bumpers and Skids, Warn 9.5xp Winch w/125' MasterPull II, OBA w/4Gal Tank & 4 CFM Compressor, Revolver Shackles, Deaver 3-Pack + Calmini 2-Pack + OEM Leaves, Bilstein 5150, SLR UCA, Diff Drop, 3" SL, 2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, Electric Fan Swap, etc...
#4 Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 AM
chuckamazuk
Phreak

2004 Xterra
chuckamazuk will become famous soon enough chuckamazuk will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'll start with those and will report back.

Chuck

Armor: Custom Sliders [built by me] - RLC Front Bumper - Skidrow Front, Eng/Trans, and TC skids
Lift: PML (AC) - 2" BL (DIY)
Lighting: PIAA 525 x 2 & Hella FF75 x 4
Steering: Calmini IAB - Bandit4x4 IAB Bushings - HooHaa CL - AC HD TRAs
Tires: 285/75R16 DuraTracs
Winch: ENGO E10000S

Write-Ups: Shocks & IAB :: "Homelink" :: Custom Light Bar :: Power Inverter :: Wiring

Build Thread
2004 Xterra
#5 Old 12-20-2010, 03:22 AM
skeeter2221

2001 Xterra
skeeter2221 is on a distinguished road
Did you ever find out where the noise is comming from?
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM
fusionfronty99
Addict

99' Xterra
fusionfronty99 is on a distinguished road
its your lower BJ going bad

Got an xterra with a bed...

99' Xterra
#7 Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
chainring
Addict

2001 Xterra
chainring will become famous soon enough
^^I was thinking LBJ too. Sounds a little like what mine was doing. I could hear it when I shook the front wheel from the top.

2001 2wd
PML / Bilsteins /NISMO CAI & cat-back exhaust / 31" Yokohama Geolander ATs / PIAA headlight bulbs / Hella 500 FF w/ Silverstar bulbs on the roof / Hella Optilux on the bumper / LED corner lamps / Painted Rack, step tubes, and wheels

"All your base are belong to us."
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.