throttle position sensor - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 AM
aagill225
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
aagill225 is on a distinguished road
throttle position sensor

Hey everyone, I have an '02 X and I decided to clean my throttle body. since then It have had a very high idle. I think that I may have meesed something up when I removed the TPS. Is there a way to adjust of find out if it is bad. I have FSM but not sure how to test with a multi-meter. Also my Thermal element for the fast idle cam is leaking can I clean it and reinstal or should I just replace it? Thanks for the help.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 PM
twest2006
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
twest2006 is on a distinguished road
thats something you're probably just gonna have to look at and figure out. ecause i really did about 2 weeks ago clean my throttle body and when i put that sensor back on my x was idling at 3000 rpms. yeh scared the $#!t outta me. lol. but all i did was just adjust it till it was no longer idling that high. i have a '00 tho so it may be different.

I'm in love.
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 PM
aagill225
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
yeah, I did that too. When I unplug the tps the problem goes away so I figured that was the issue. the FSM says to use consult II. I wonder if there is an other tool to help adjust the TPS properly?
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Noxious007
Addict

2002 Xterra
Noxious007 will become famous soon enough
I spent a few days trying to decipher the FSM about checking this with the shim gauges.

Basically you need to warm the X up and disconnect the harness for the TPS. You then use the correct shim between the throttle mechanism and the Fast Idle Cam.

You then loosen the TPS and using a multi meter turn the TPS until the circuit goes closed and no further. It is a very precise procedure that took me a few times to get right.

It is kind of a PIA and is easier with two sets of hands.

Ian
2002 XTERRA SE 4X4
Under The Hood - K&N Filter, Resonator Delete, Low Pro Snorkel, Quest Alternator, B&M Trans Cooler, E-Fan
Interior - LOBO Rack, Raingler Net, Xterra Seat Covers, Inclinometer, DIY Homelink, TouchScanXL
Exterior - 2" BL, PML, IAB, Bandit4X4 IA bushings, Bilsteins, Delete Rear Swaybar, Rear Dif Breather Extension, Limited Slip Dif, BFG TA KO 33x10.5r15 , Flowmaster 40 series SI/SO, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Rock Sliders
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
aagill225
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
so i shim the FIC, do i plug the multi meter into the TPS? which side + and -, how big of a shim do i use? sorry to be PIA
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
The 'shim' isn't a shim. You have to use a procedure using feeler gauges in order to find the sweet spot for the Closed Throttle position switch.

Short and sweet way to do it without the feeler gauge is this:

Warm it up, all the way up. At least 15 minutes of running, minimum.
Loosen, but not all the way, the 2 phillips screws holding the TPS to the side of the throttle body. With the engine running (obviously running high because the TPS is out of adjustment), MICROSCOPICLY turn the TPS counterclockwise just until the rpm drops back to normal. Do this with the TPS still connected, just like normal.
Now, tighten the screws. If it changes after you tighten them, then loosen and adjust just a hair further, then retighten.
If the idle goes up again, turn the TPS just a hair again. Good to go.

Now, if you don't want to do that, then get yourself a feeler gauge, some wire, an ohm meter, a wiring diagram, the copy of the actual procedure and an hour of your time. Might want to learn some new cuss words while you're doing it, makes things interesting.

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#7 Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
aagill225
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
cool, thanks. that is what i was doing. I think it may be the thermo element for the FIC. It leaks pretty bad, too. Just being lazy and broke. Dealer want $150.00 for it. Probably about time though got 150k on th ticker. Deffinatly created some new language on this one.
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Cyclemut
Most Halal Mod

02 Xterra
Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them Cyclemut has a spectacular aura about them
Search around for the element fix, it's just an o-ring that you can replace, not necessary to replace the entire unit.

Nissan Sport Magazine
The world's only Nissan specific mag!
02 Xterra
#9 Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
aagill225
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
cool
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Back from the dead.

Been fiddling with mine for a bit. So if i rotate it all the way clockwise i should get to open even when warmed up? Then bring it back counter clockwise till i get closed with the shim in? I've been trying it with the scangauge but it never seems to get to open rotating it but does say open at startup. I've reset the tps idle so it all screwed now but shifting was a little off and thats what i'm trying to fix after unnecessarily taking the tps off.
2000 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.