Nissan announces radiator warranty extension on 05-10 pathfinders/xterra's/frontiers - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #1 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
morpheus
Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 Xterra
morpheus is on a distinguished road
Nissan announces radiator warranty extension on 05-10 pathfinders/xterra's/frontiers

Nissan has announced a warranty extension on the 2005-2010 trucks with radiator problems:

Quote:
This announcement is to inform you that Nissan has decided, for customer satisfaction purposes, to extend the warranty for the Radiator Assembly on all 2005-10 Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage on applied vehicles for the Radiator Assembly will be extended from its original duration of 3 years/60,000 kilometres to 8 years/130,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first). This warranty extension applies only to the Radiator Assembly (and its component parts), including damage, repairs, replacement, and related towing resulting from this issue. Customers who may have previously paid for a repair that would have been covered by this extended warranty will be eligible for reimbursement. Coverage of other vehicle components will remain unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply.
Additional details regarding this warranty extension and reimbursement eligibility and procedures will be provided to you no later than October 29, 2010.

Last edited by morpheus; 10-19-2010 at 11:04 AM.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough
Damn, that's good to know. Too bad they aren't extending the warranty to cover blown transmissions that result from failed radiator/trans coolers.

--Jason

My 2008 Super Black SE "The Elephant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
The ass of my ride will swap ends faster than the OP will fail an English class.
2008 Xterra
post #3 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
morpheus
Veteran

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Everett View Post
Damn, that's good to know. Too bad they aren't extending the warranty to cover blown transmissions that result from failed radiator/trans coolers.
Unless I hear something otherwise, I'd say they are covered, because the failure was the radiator, and the transmission was damaged because of it.

Just like if a cat/converter failes at 120,000km and is warrantied to 130,000km and damages the engine, the engine is covered too even if the engine was only covered to 100,000km.
2003 Xterra
post #4 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough
I would be willing to bet that there will be a few dealers that will argue that since it isn't explicitly listed in the extension of the warranty that it's not covered. I know that sounds terribly cynical . Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

--Jason

Quote:
The ass of my ride will swap ends faster than the OP will fail an English class.
2008 Xterra
post #5 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
morpheus
Veteran

2003 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Everett View Post
I would be willing to bet that there will be a few dealers that will argue that since it isn't explicitly listed in the extension of the warranty that it's not covered. I know that sounds terribly cynical . Hopefully I'll never have to find out.
True, and I've got a phonecall in to make 100% sure so I already know the answer when I'm asked.

I'm sure there's a few people out there that had to pay out of pocket for a transmission replacement that will be looking for their money back...
2003 Xterra
post #6 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
I have a friend that's having trouble with his right now because of the strawberry milkshake. We replaced the radiator and flushed the transmission already, but it's still shifting bad. I gotta tell him about this and see if he is within the new mileage extension.

Do you have a link to your info source?

--Jason

Quote:

Last edited by J Everett; 10-19-2010 at 02:01 PM.
2008 Xterra
post #7 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Half-Pol
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
Half-Pol is on a distinguished road
Morpheus IS the source of info. He's a Service Manager at a Nissan Dealership in Milton, Ontario.

2000 Rancho SL, L&P Steering, 2" BL, ARB Front Bumper, Bender Built Rear bumper/Tire Carrier and Sliders, 33" BFG MT's, Blackpanther skids (from my old Pathy).....a bunch of other stuff.

2000 Xterra
post #8 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
Ah. I'm guessing more info will be found at www.NissanAssist.com in the near future. That's where they have info on their other warranty extensions for FSU's and CVT's.

--Jason

Quote:
2008 Xterra
post #9 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
NCPhotoTrekker
Phreak

2010 Xterra
NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough
I thought that they redesigned the radiator for the 2009+ Xterras and changed the ATF as well. Is there another issue with the gen 2 radiators, or are they still possible victims of the milkshake failure?

Greg

4x4 in all caps is $X$
2010 Xterra
post #10 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
morpheus
Veteran

2003 Xterra
I had a conversation with my nissan rep. He heard about the extension the same way I did, and had no furthur information than what I already had. He's going to forward my questions and get back to me.

His feeling was, that this was started as a "customer service/satisfaction" extension, so it would most likely also cover the transmission costs, but he instructed me to wait till the re-imbursement information came out, and it would have all the information we needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPhotoTrekker View Post
I thought that they redesigned the radiator for the 2009+ Xterras and changed the ATF as well. Is there another issue with the gen 2 radiators, or are they still possible victims of the milkshake failure?
From what I understand, they corrected the problem some time between 06 and 07 model years. I have never personally had an 07+ radiator problem.

My guess is that if they happened to have an 07-10 with a cooler that blows, they're going to end up goodwill warranting it anyways, so why not include it?
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.