Best Mods to Improve Gas Mileage?? - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
sageorge
Noob

2003 Xterra
sageorge is on a distinguished road
Best Mods to Improve Gas Mileage??

Hey all..just bought a 2003 Se-Sc and since it is going to be both (eventually) my weekend off roader and my daily driver I need to know what are the best mods to start with to improve the somewhat hellacious gas mileage. If I had say $500, what should be the first 3 things that will help the most?? Thanks to the pros for any advice. Cheers
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
K&n drop in filter, cat back exhaust and electric fan conversion
2004 Xterra
#3 Old 10-04-2010, 03:13 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough

Cheapest and best mod if your unhappy with your xterras mpg.
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
Look in the DIY section.. The air box mod is a good free one.. Then you add the K&N
That helps some.. Id say cat back exhaust is a good one..
One issue with the SC is you need to run top grade fuel. So keep that in mind. Im sure the last person didnt run that in it. Id say seafoaming the engine could help too..

Like ^^^^ The Xterra isnt great on MPG.. AVG 15-20
Hope these couple mods help..
If you really want to help and spend redo the manifolds with the cat back exhaust
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 PM
sageorge
Noob

2003 Xterra
sageorge is on a distinguished road
Haha..not gonna go that far Whisky..i love my new X. I was well aware of what I was getting myself into in regards to mpg but just figured there may be someway to improve it a bit so it's not a constant conga line to the gas station. Thanks for the ideas everyone else, I'll start right away!
2003 Xterra
#6 Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Fuel filter, clean MAf sensor, tuneup, higher tire pressure, in addition to what was said above. Oh and the biggest one as it's been said before, stay off the skinny pedal!

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
#7 Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM
NCPhotoTrekker
Phreak

2010 Xterra
NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough
Making all your destinations downhill is another way to improve the mileage. Getting home becomes a problem for another thread though.

I'll second the airbox mod, and exhaust. Also, run synthetics anywhere you can. I've eeked out a couple of MPG's from a Tacoma using all synthetic fluids. Make sure that your air pressure is maintained as well.

Greg

4x4 in all caps is $X$
2010 Xterra
#8 Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Well the big one is go get the codes pulled to see if the knock sensor has failed, thats 2mpg right there but it will not trip a check engine light.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM
helifixerupper
Veteran

2002 Xterra
helifixerupper is on a distinguished road
Get a cheap motorcycle and use it when you can. This way your average mpg can be like mine 38.... haha

I spent 1200 on the bike, and only about 400 on mods to get better gas mileage. I bought the car knowing i had the bike to balance out the mpg.

2002 XE 4x2--Flowmaster 40 Delta--High Flow Custom Intake--Complete stereo make over--Custom Lightbar w/ HID's

- Brian
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
mac11 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageorge View Post
Hey all..just bought a 2003 Se-Sc and since it is going to be both (eventually) my weekend off roader and my daily driver I need to know what are the best mods to start with to improve the somewhat hellacious gas mileage. If I had say $500, what should be the first 3 things that will help the most?? Thanks to the pros for any advice. Cheers
1. 1987 honda crx
2. plates
3. insurance

shop well, should be able to stay around your budget.

*Note: All posts I make on this site are fictional for entertainment purposes only. They are not legal advice, actual events, equipment owned or actual locations. If it bothers you, quit being so fragile.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.