Engine will not turn over sometimes. - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
PatchDog
Noob

2001 Xterra
PatchDog is on a distinguished road
Engine will not turn over sometimes.

I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra that starts 95% of the time. When I put the key in and turn the ignition and it will not crank or turn over. I do not get any dimming lights or clicking noises, just nothing. The batterty is new and all light turn on when I turn the ignition (Radio as Well). I have found that if I close the door and reset the alarm on then off again then sometimes it will turn over and start up just fine.

The engine does not have any issues starting up if the engine turns over.

I bought my Xterra new off the lot and was hoping to get a few more years out of her before we part our seperate ways. This morning it would not start at all no matter what I tried and I ended up driving the wifes mini-van to work.

Any help on what to try out is greatly accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Patchdog
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
check the door switches are working freely.

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#3 Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
NCPhotoTrekker
Phreak

2010 Xterra
NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough
By chance is your X a manual transmission? If so, there is a switch attached to the clutch pedal that will keep it from starting unless the clutch is engaged. To see if that switch is bad, press the "Clutch Start Cancel" button and try starting it again. If it works then the button on the clutch is bad. It should be pretty cheap to replace, but I'm sure it is a dealer only part.

Greg

4x4 in all caps is $X$
2010 Xterra
#4 Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM
PatchDog
Noob

2001 Xterra
Its an automatic so I dont think the clutch pedal is it.

The door switch seem to be fine. Xterra will normaly start with door open or closed.
2001 Xterra
#5 Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM
NCPhotoTrekker
Phreak

2010 Xterra
NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough NCPhotoTrekker will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchDog View Post
Its an automatic so I dont think the clutch pedal is it.

The door switch seem to be fine. Xterra will normaly start with door open or closed.
OK, there is another option, but harder to diagnose from home. There is a switch on the auto transmission that tellis it it is in Park or Neutral. It will only start in those positions. If that switch has gone bad then it won't start. Unless somebody else has a self diagnosis procedure, that will likely be a trip to the shop to have fixed. However, I don't recall them being too expensive, and labor shouldn't be too much either.

Oh, I think that the offending part is called the neutral safety switch.

The last thing that I can think of would be the main relay. They were bad to go out in Hondas, but I am not familiar with them being a problem in Nissans.

Greg

4x4 in all caps is $X$
2010 Xterra
#6 Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
dejablue

2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
the safety switch on center counsel could be out of adjustment.

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
#7 Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM
PatchDog
Noob

2001 Xterra
I will read up and try a few thing. Where is the
Quote:
safety switch on center counsel
located.
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Is there a click? or rapid clicking? Take a pic of your battery for me.

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.
#9 Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 PM
PatchDog
Noob

2001 Xterra
There is no clicking which most of the time is the battery. It is less than a year old the cables are in good condition. I will check to make sure the they are tight on the post but I think the problem is elsewhere.
2001 Xterra
#10 Old 09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
soccerbrace
blah blah blah

soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold soccerbrace is a splendid one to behold
Got ya. How about the body ground? and the ground at the block? Just because it is a year old doesn't mean that it isn't a POS.

Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeze View Post
There's only a select few members that don't have a problem cutting up their X... and I believe there all in Colorado.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.