DT Headers on '03 S/C - DONE - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 AM
justageorgiaguy

2003 SE-SC Xterra
justageorgiaguy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up DT Headers on '03 S/C - DONE & FINALLY W/ SOUND CLIP!

I hope i never have to replace headers on any vehicle again! It turned out that both of my OEM manifolds were cracked, so i needed to do this anyhow.

I installed the DT headers and a Nismo catback, i finished it last night. The SES light came on, but I am assuming that is due to the elimination of the primary cats. I'll get the code pulled today. It runs and sounds great! I'll post sound clips soon. There is no degradation of performance from the s/c, before i had only 2 lbs of boost max, it seems to be back to normal now.

To everyone worried about the backpressure issues, can a more open header really be that less restrictive than a manifold that is almost cracked in half?

Anyhow, I just wanted to post that it does work, and i will never do it again. It's not that hard, but it is a PITA to get in there, there is no room.

A few notes:

The Driver side comes with 2 02 mounting locations, but the secondary cat has the factory location of the second o2, so i just plugged the second opening in the header.

jack up the truck, i dont have a lift, but i jacked up the front and took off the front wheels. When you remove the rubber fender liners, you can get to 90% of the bolts you need.

You can only reuse half of the factory studs. The OEM manifolds use 3 short and 3 long studs into the block, the long ones are too long, so we bought 6 more short from a nissan dealer for about $2 each.

There are 2-3 bolts on each side that are impossible to get a socket on the DT headers, the pipe goes directly in front of the mounting hole and the stud is just long enough to block getting a socket on them, unless i missed something.

Other than that, it went ok, just took forever. I didn't worry about a how-to because i was following other people's how-tos and it was pretty much the same. I did pull and install most of the parts through the wheel well rather than through the engine bay though.

Last edited by justageorgiaguy; 10-23-2010 at 09:06 AM.
2003 SE-SC Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward to hearing the results.

Yes a performance header is MUCH less restrictive than factory headers. With most factory manifolds, the exhaust has to "share" the path of escape which inhibits the maximum power it can achieve. The first cylinder pushes out the exhaust on it's exhaust stroke which means that the 2nd cylinder has to push out the exhaust from its cylinder along with the exhaust from the 1st cylinder and so on and so on with the following cylinder(s). With performance headers, each cylinder has it's own dedicated "escape" and eliminates back pressure from the manifold.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
#3 Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 AM
TimRich
Spaz

2000 Xterra
TimRich has a spectacular aura about them TimRich has a spectacular aura about them TimRich has a spectacular aura about them
Nice! Looking forward to the results...

Tim... 2000 Xterra SE 4x4
Mods: K&N Air Filter, AC PML, 17" Pro Comp Wheels, 33" Wild Country MTX, Custom Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, 2 inch BL, Hella 500FF's, AC Prerunner bumper, Xoskel light bar with 4 KC Daylighters, AC's IAB, Rancho RS5000 Shocks.
Official Build Thread
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Broden21
Phreak

2002 Xterra
Broden21 will become famous soon enough
pictures????

~ Brendon~Limerick PA~
SOLD~ Black~2002~4WD~5 speed

my new toys
~06 hummer H3
~03 Mini cooper S
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 AM
justageorgiaguy

2003 SE-SC Xterra
The cracked manifold:

Quick shots from the parking lot just now, better pics to come.

Header, s/c, and a very dirty engine

2003 SE-SC Xterra
#6 Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Rons04X
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Rons04X is a jewel in the rough Rons04X is a jewel in the rough Rons04X is a jewel in the rough
Nice!!!

2004 Blue X 4x4- PML, 32" BFG AT KOs, Cragar D Windows, Flowmaster 40, Blacked out Roof Rack
Build Thread - CX Blues Brothers
- VA4X4
2004 Xterra
#7 Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
I'm in the process of writing up a DIY for AC header installation and I see that you had basically all the same issues and the install seems to be similar. Justageorgiaguy Do you have a 2" BL?

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint

Last edited by RacerXXL; 09-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#8 Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
CMD
\m/>_<\m/

2003 Xterra
CMD will become famous soon enough CMD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerXXL View Post
I'm in the process of writing up a DIY for AC header installation and I see that you had basically all the same issues and the install seems to be similar. Justageorgiaguy Do you have a 2" BL?
Just by looking at the truck/steering shaft i'd say no...

- Sean

Totaled - 2003 XE - 3" SL, 2" BL, Sliders and Skids, 33" MT's
Build Thread - Warthog

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?p=515519#post515519]"Second X"

Ohh, Second Gen? Typical....
2003 Xterra
#9 Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 AM
justageorgiaguy

2003 SE-SC Xterra
no, suspension is stock, unless the 4wd is any higher than 2wd.

after driving about 100 miles, i'll be installing some dynamat or something in the cabin. There is a drone from the nismo around 2500 rpms, not deafening but it wears on you. Performance wise, it responds nice, but since the SES code is thrown, the s/c is being bypassed again, so i don't have the full effect.

edit: one other thing i noticed but didnt really cause any issues was on the passenger side header, the rear flange (closest to the cab) is opposite from the stock manifold. It doesn't cause any issues, the gasket is square on that end and can accept bolts in any corner. Not sure why it is different, but I did notice it. I believe the driver side matched up with the stock studs.

Last edited by justageorgiaguy; 09-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.
2003 SE-SC Xterra
#10 Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justageorgiaguy View Post
no, suspension is stock, unless the 4wd is any higher than 2wd.

after driving about 100 miles, i'll be installing some dynamat or something in the cabin. There is a drone from the nismo around 2500 rpms, not deafening but it wears on you. Performance wise, it responds nice, but since the SES code is thrown, the s/c is being bypassed again, so i don't have the full effect.
Yeah the 2" body lift makes all the difference in the world, much easier to get at every thing.

I have the Nismo cat back as well and I agree that between 2500 to 3000 rpm the drone can be annoying. My muffler may be going bye bye, but I want to get the larger down tubes fabbed up before I do that. I have a theory that the larger down tubes may help to bring the drone back down to the sound levels they were at before the headers.

My guess is the code will be an O2 sensor being caused by the elimination of the cats. Did you install any CEL's?

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra

Tags
doug , haders , supercharged , thorley , xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.