Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Zachbiz's Build Thread

64K views 439 replies 71 participants last post by  RawkerStatus 
#1 · (Edited)
So I guess I'll start a build thread because I need some opinions on directions to go in.

So it all started after the 3 month search for a car ended. At first I was set on an old pathy, but I figured its old and not as safe as something else. After banging around a few ideas I kind of liked the idea of an xterra. However, being a gear head like myself, I have a hard time reasoning getting a car thats just a commuter vehicle. So since I can't do fast on the cheap and my dad already has a road beast, I decided to go in more of the off roader direction.

Being a car enthusiast, I'm a big fan of manual transmissions. Unfortunately for me, 4x4 and 5 speed is a rare breed. after about a month and a half searching for only xterras, I found mine. About an hour and a bit north of where i live, i found a 2002, 4x4 5 speed xterra with 130k miles. Long story short, a while later i was driving home in this beauty; officially dubbed Megan by my better half.

so right now im building this guy as of may 13th

designed in cad:

the very next day, i realized that while the guy had kept it in good shape, he neglected things like tire pressure. I was 35psi front left and rear right, 38 rear left and 24 front right.

Current Photo:

Mods to date:

External:
4 Hella 700ff's on the bumper
Dana 44 full width front end on a custom 3 link
Fox 2.5 16" travel piggyback coilovers
Gm 14 bolt SF rear on a SOA with my old bilsteins
37x12.5r17 BFG KM1's
about 12 inches of total lift at the chair, 10 at the frame and 3 under the axles.
Shrockworks front bumper
On-board OBA
Energy Suspension LoPro Bump Stops
DIY snorkel

Engine:
K&N filter
plugged resonators
S/C Radiator
DIY Paint Can Air box.

Internal:
Uniden 520 CB

Here's where it all starts:

First order of business was the PML and hi-lift jack. I also removed the step rails.

next i bought two hella 700's and removed that funky plastic cowl thing up front

somewhere in here i relocated the knock sensor

then i bought another two and put all 4 on the roof

then came the body lift.

front bumper fixed:

Jeez did this have a lot in store for me. The actual lift went very smooth. Didn't need to trim around the t-case shifter or anything. the rear bumper gave me some trouble but that was about it. within the next 3 days i broke my heater core and radiator. $108 and a new S/C radiator later, my heater core still needs fixing but she's running strong.

So now here she stands, waiting for her share of love. My grandma and parents want to get me something for my birthday and christmas combined. My grandma wants to get something as expensive as a shrock bumper. My parents will probably get me sliders and new rear shocks.

But heres the big question. I really love both bumpers from shrock and i really love the roof rack from bajarack. But i don't know which would look coolest and be the most useful for me. any suggestions?

QUESTIONS ANSWER: BUMPERTASTIC

33's

Airbox:

Snorkel:

Might as well make an update on the original post.

The details and progress can be found in the back of my build but heres how she stand right now:

The day i rolled her out of the garage a new beast:

In the parking lot at school next to a stock X:

AZ desert after i got to school:

covered in mud

wheeling:

twinsies

histeer:

See less See more
#4 ·
x2 on the bumper...
Otherwise you'll just have more gear with you when you smash the plastic one!

Good lookin X BTW. How did you mount your lights? Are you worried of someone taking your hi-lift with it just on the roof like that?

#6 ·
x2 on the bumper...
Otherwise you'll just have more gear with you when you smash the plastic one!

Good lookin X BTW. How did you mount your lights? Are you worried of someone taking your hi-lift with it just on the roof like that?

No im not because i put a hole through one of the bolts that hold it on and put a padlock through it. so if they have bolt cutters, sure. but they can go through a bike lock just as easily and i dont want a massive ulock or chain.

and who steals (and RUNS away) with a 40 lb odd long chunk of cast steel?

#8 ·
Genius! Thanks for the idea

#14 ·
Do you have any pics or info on how you mounted the hi lift jack to the roof rack? Looks cool man

theres a thread in the DIY section where i got the idea. the lock was my idea though.

#16 ·
Bilsteins on the way. Just ordered a CB radio today in hopes of getting it before going wheeling on the 18th, but i still need to figure out cables, antenna and tuning.

I am also scanning for a deal on decent 33's off craigslist (i dont have the bank for new shoes).

I'll post pics of the shocks radio and of the trip after the 18th.

#17 ·
Alright guys, update.

got my bilsteins in the mail and installed them friday. Got my CB radio in the mail and installed and wired in this morning (just need to mount the antenna somewhere. I went out wheeling today so here are some photos.

#20 ·
love it man!!! rims look great, i like the cb radio install, whip looks good, want to see a pic of it extended and where it mounts. wish mine was a 4x4 5 spd but its neither. cant wait to see updates of this.

#22 ·
thanks dude, i had to hack away at my little cubby hole there but i got it to fit. (shh it leans a little bit dont tell anyone) but it fits nicely and the cable goes through the firewall so i see no wiring in the cabin.

and for those who want to see the antenna up:

its bent back because the bumper has already started to bend with the antenna but when i get my shrockworks bumper, it'll be straight up.

edit: and the reason my plastics look all faded and worn is because it's proudly still wearing desert dust.

#23 ·
Your X is looking fantastic. I actually liked the CB antenna tacked down like you had it before. I might be installing one on mine soon, but I'll most likely be mounting mine on the rear bumper and getting a fiberglass one.

Seriously though, you came a long way in a short amount of time. The lifted look really helped with your X. Another thing I need to do, though I think I might be cutting it too close to fit in the garage if I do. Still have to measure :).

Also, totally jealous that you have such easily accessible areas to off road. Keep up the good work!

#24 ·
Your X is looking fantastic. I actually liked the CB antenna tacked down like you had it before. I might be installing one on mine soon, but I'll most likely be mounting mine on the rear bumper and getting a fiberglass one.

Seriously though, you came a long way in a short amount of time. The lifted look really helped with your X. Another thing I need to do, though I think I might be cutting it too close to fit in the garage if I do. Still have to measure :).

Also, totally jealous that you have such easily accessible areas to off road. Keep up the good work!

i keep the antenna tied down all the time. I've given up on being able to try and fit in the garage.

thanks.

#25 ·
gah. wish i had accessible offroad places too. nice set up, i thought about putting my cb where you put yours, but i wanted a dvd/cd player. was going to get a flip up to accomodate both, but crutchfield claimed the flip up screen wouldnt fit in an 02-04 xterra. thinking about upgrading to a bigger cb though. looks great!

#26 ·
Sweet, it's manual... lol
Great rig though, but how big are your tires? i don't think i saw it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.