Snapped off a heater core tube :( - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM
zachbiz
Addict

2002 Xterra
zachbiz will become famous soon enough zachbiz will become famous soon enough
Snapped off a heater core tube :(

So last night when i took the X out for the first time after the body lift, it started spewing steam everywhere. When i popped the hood, low and behold, after the body lift i had snapped one of the heater core tubes off. Right now it's holding on with about a 1/4" of tube left sticking out of the firewall. I called up nissan and they said that i have to replace the entire heater core because they do not sell the little plastic hose thing that screw right on. Now, Being a high school student with one hell of a mod bug, I don't want to spend $150 + shipping on a new heater core. I'm looking for the cheapest fix possible. I'm thinking about going down to a wrecking yard and seeing if they can rip the heater core out for me (or do it myself) and just buy the nozzle.

Unless anyone else has a better plan or knowledge of somewhere else i can get a heater core tube?

Edit: Can i just disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses and join them together temporarily so i dont have another spill? at least until i get a new core?

2002 5 speed 4x4 SAS'ed.

Daww look at her

Have YOU cut into your truck today?

SAS stands for Super Awesome Stuff. (not really)

DIY OBA
DIY snorkel
DIY Paint Can Air box
Build Thread

Last edited by zachbiz; 08-14-2010 at 01:30 PM.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Fzzt

2009 OR Xterra
Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them Fzzt has a spectacular aura about them
I don't know why you couldn't just join them together for the time being.
Junkyard sounds like a plan. Good luck.

Traded in all my project cars for a new Xterra, not an ounce of buyers remorse. My build thread
2009 OR Xterra
#3 Old 08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Bklyn.X
Brooklyn br0

2001 Xterra
Bklyn.X will become famous soon enough Bklyn.X will become famous soon enough
Garage
We F’d this same thing up on a buddies X during his BL. We did not take it off while lifting.
We just cut the broken tube so it was clean and would not crack more and attached the hose onto the ¼” that was left. It has been holding for more than a year. Do you have enough to grab and hold the hose?

On the occasion of every act ask thyself, How is this with respect to me?
Tom + Bklyn.X
2001 Xterra
#4 Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 PM
vandebogart
Phreak

2002 Xterra
vandebogart is a jewel in the rough vandebogart is a jewel in the rough vandebogart is a jewel in the rough
Yea you can connect the tubes, you just won't have A/C. Thats what I did when mine broke. I went to Lowes and bought some copper connectors. I mixed and matched em and ended up with a piece that would fit in the broken tube and the inlet tube. The end that went into the firewall had threads that bit into the plastic some. I've had it in since september of last year and its been worked fine. I bought a used heater core from some one that was parting out a wrecked X... just haven't had the time to replace it

--Shaun

'02 Xterra XE 5spd 4x4
-Lots of mods
2002 Xterra
#5 Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Snow Chaser
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Snow Chaser is a jewel in the rough Snow Chaser is a jewel in the rough Snow Chaser is a jewel in the rough
Hey Zach what did you end up doing for this?
I did the same thing yesterday...

-Dylan-
Mineral Blue 2001 SE 4x4. October 2010 Ronin Wheelers TOTM
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19760
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Maybe a mod here can go to the how to thread and bold and jack up the font about this.

Snow chaser, not much you can short of yanking it, the tube is not a separate part and the way to get to it means ripping your dash out. Mines been leaking slowly for months and i just live with it. I did put a better clamp on the hose and that helped the most.
2000 Xterra
#7 Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
zachbiz
Addict

2002 Xterra
zachbiz will become famous soon enough zachbiz will become famous soon enough
i was thinking about getting a replacement off ebay (they run about $50) or taking a large threaded brass nipple and threading it into the tube. its a hame nissan doesnt sell the tubes separately.

2002 5 speed 4x4 SAS'ed.

Daww look at her

Have YOU cut into your truck today?

SAS stands for Super Awesome Stuff. (not really)

DIY OBA
DIY snorkel
DIY Paint Can Air box
Build Thread
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Steeze
2009 Xterra of the year

2005 Xterra
Steeze has a spectacular aura about them Steeze has a spectacular aura about them
The same thing happened to me... I posted info on this in the BL thread years ago.. read through the threads carefully... it could've been avoided
2005 Xterra
#9 Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
J Everett
Phreak

2008 Xterra
J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough J Everett is a jewel in the rough
We almost did the same thing to RATTFINK's rig when we did the BL. We ended up disconnecting the bracket that held the hoses from the firewall; that gave it enough flexibility to allow the lift.

**Always have someone watching under the hood for parts that look stressed when you are jacking the body up off the frame!

In the meantime, yes, you can simply connect the hoses to each other and refill the cooling system with coolant. You just won't have any heat in the cab.

--Jason

My 2008 Super Black SE "The Elephant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclemut View Post
The ass of my ride will swap ends faster than the OP will fail an English class.
2008 Xterra
#10 Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Bennyboy42
Addict

2001 Xterra
Bennyboy42 is on a distinguished road
i did the same thing. just connect them, but you won't have heat.

--Ben

2001 4X4 Xterra SE Solar Yellow

PML, 2" BL, MT's, Gibson Catback, Full Skids and a whole lot of herculiner and black paint!

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12568
2001 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.