Nissan XTerra Forum banner

DIY: 2nd Gen Interior Bike Rack

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kayaker 
#1 ·
Ok this is my first DIY So bare with me.

2nd Gen Interior Bike Rack
I know there are a couple of different versions of this out there but when I did it i couldn’t find any that were to great in detail so hopefully this helps someone else. If you have any questions about it feel free to pm me. This cost me probably like $60 Total for parts plus like 10 with Paint, thats a far cry from $250 or whatever Nissan wants for theirs.

Close up angled view

Tools
A Good Drill or at the very least decent
Steel Drill bits, sizes vary depending on what you want to do
OR a Self Tapping screw
Epoxy

Supplies
2- Utili Track Tie Downs. or at least the nut part.
1 - ClosetMaid* 40" Steel Maximum Load Hang Track
1 Or 2 (Depending on how many bikes you plan on taking with you) Yakima Block Head Bike fork mounts. You can probably use others but these fit in the angled slot of the Steel track like they were made for each other,
2 - 1” to 1 1/4” Size 8 M bolts, Double check the size to make sure it fits before your buy, I’m pretty sure they are 8s but just in case.
2- universal bolt knobs,
2 - nylon washers the size is up to you on how much of a gap you want between the bar and the base of the cargo bed. I think mine about a quarter to half inch thick.
2 - Large washers (not necessary, but not a bad idea)

The following is the mounting hardware for the blockheads
4 - 1” 6M bolts (not pictured)
4 - 6M washers (not pictured)
4 - 6M lock Nuts (not pictured)

First Off
Measure, I did a test fit instead of measuring and the drill bit ended up walking on me so its bit off, no big deal

Mark off where you want the holes to be drilled to attach to your utili track about 2 1/8” in from each edge of the steel but double check my numbers here mine walked on me while I was drilling and didn’t notice until it was too late.

Drill with something slightly bigger than the hole, I used a self tapping screw, then progressively drilled larger, ( I originally was going to use the factory tie downs as the bolts but where the holes got drilled that ended up being more difficult than it should have been and I wouldn’t have been able to use the spacers.)

Then figure out how your bikes will fit in there, in relation to your hatch and side windows and the other bike. I did this but mounting the steel track down with the tie downs and sliding the block heads in to place then placing clamps with rubber grips on the two and putting my bikes in the X. As if I was complete. Then marked where I needed to drill for the block heads.

Once you have drilled you can assemble and test fit, paint if you wish.

I painted the all the washers, and the steel track, it looks pretty factory in my opinion minus the extra holes that came in the track.

Once you know everything fits where it needs to etc.., take the knobs and bolts youre using to secure the unit to the Xterra and epoxy those together, Unless you find some knobs and bolts the fit together without then you wont need it. I tried a silicone sealer at first that didn’t work so great but the epoxy seems to be holding together great.

Please, Please! Measure and test fit Everything if you going to do this. It works great sorry bout the pics it a mixture of cell phone and a lack of planing, the DIY was an after the fact kind of thing, but its simple enough that you can probably figure it out as you go with the pix i do have. Good luck hope this helps someone else.
Ill post some more photos when i get the bikes back in there!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.